thai national renewing drivers license

Hi all.

My son is a Thai national and has to renew his drivers license this month. It's his first renewal so we are not sure of the current procedure and requirements.

Can anyone please advise what we need and the current procedure is?

Please note: he is a Thai national not falang.

Many thanks.

An update: My son called the local DLT office (Bang Kunthian) and he had to make an appointment. His appointment is for August 11th his licence runs out the end of this month.  

18 hours ago, remobb said:

An update: My son called the local DLT office (Bang Kunthian) and he had to make an appointment. His appointment is for August 11th his licence runs out the end of this month.  

My niece was the same, had to wait nearly 4 months. She was told if stopped by police just to show appointment on the app, apparently the appointment is like an approved extension.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rwill said:

I think the main difference for a farang and thai to get a license is that farang do not have to take the written test just watch a video.

I was told foreigners could not use the app and appointments had to be made in person. I did my renewal the day I went to make the appointment. 

They said they tried to do foreigners as soon as possible as they couldn't use the app to show the police.

On 5/29/2021 at 8:32 AM, rwill said:

I think the main difference for a farang and thai to get a license is that farang do not have to take the written test just watch a video.

????????? Where do you get this from, personal experience?? Completely wrong info..... 

On 5/29/2021 at 8:32 AM, rwill said:

40 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

????????? Where do you get this from, personal experience?? Completely wrong info..... 

Yes.  Personal experience.  I have never had to take a written test to get the license or renew it.  My last renewal was the first time they made me watch the video.

I am only talking about the difference for a thai and farang, everything else is pretty much the same.