Koh Samui: Foreign tourists set to be welcome subject to rules from July 1st

webfact

8 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

They will not come into contact with local people.

So, no massages, no eating in restaurants, no drinks, no nothing.

No shift in employment opportunities for locals, then. So who is benefitting? And can you visit a 7/11? Who staffs that? And what are "local people" anyway?

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

The tourism is in severe downturn, but nevertheless they continue to build eyesores...Choengmon beach.

1621944540732.jpg

1621944540724.jpg

Construction never really stopped as a lot of these projects will have had all the paperwork etc signed off and completion dates etc to be met . If they are not met or projects not started on time then they have to apply again as far as I’m aware and that means more money getting paid out .

Correct about eyesores though . The mess above banrak seemed to kick it off in that area and it’s went on to Chong mon and now even bophut is getting trashed . As for chaweng noi ????

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Actually, I love Samui. Just returned from a great trip to Samui and Phangan. I left because I had alot of issues, most of which have never been addressed. Just telling it, as I see it. Sorry if that hurts. 

Thanks for the correction on the vaccines. My friends living there will be pleased. Is the astro an option? 

It is the only option for 60+ years old.

Under 60 - pot luck on the day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, khunPer said:

Direct flights from China, Hong Kong, Malaysia and Singapore have been flying daily before Covid-19 lockdown, and some of them even during a period upon reopening after 1st wave, plenty of international flight possibilities; you might be able to transit in Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, or Singapore, which a number of people already did before Covid...????

I was responding to a previous question about flights from london frankfurt etc and i understand it samui cant handle anything bigger than a 737. Also didnt i read that bangkok airways were involved and id guess that means transit thru bkk for european flights. Could be wrong, time will tell

49 minutes ago, Hugh Jampton said:

I was responding to a previous question about flights from london frankfurt etc and i understand it samui cant handle anything bigger than a 737. Also didnt i read that bangkok airways were involved and id guess that means transit thru bkk for european flights. Could be wrong, time will tell

USM has 2100 meters runway, and cannot take fully loaded larger long distance airplanes, but China, Korea, Japan, India, The Gulf, and northern part of Australia are technically within range; Airbus 320 has a range of 6,000 kilometers (3,300 nm) with 2100 meter take off run, and Airbus 319 almost 7,000 kilometers (3,750 nm) with 1.850 meter take off run, both models operated by Bangkok Airways. European transit, as I wrote in my reply, have been through Singapore or Hong Kong. At the moment transit in BKK is not allowed under the sandbox-model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, khunPer said:

USM has 2100 meters runway, and cannot take fully loaded larger long distance airplanes, but China, Korea, Japan, India, The Gulf, and northern part of Australia are technically within range; Airbus 320 has a range of 6,000 kilometers (3,300 nm) with 2100 meter take off run, and Airbus 319 almost 7,000 kilometers (3,750 nm) with 1.850 meter take off run, both models operated by Bangkok Airways. European transit, as I wrote in my reply, have been through Singapore or Hong Kong. At the moment transit in BKK is not allowed under the sandbox-model.

Interesting stuff, thanks for the info, i remember doing some brief research when it was first muted that samui and phuket would be the first to open because they were islands. Bangkok airways will be involved somehow obiously. Its good to see that some forward progress is being made and these are the first steps, along with the vaccine roll out gathering pace. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ko Samui sucks. The last 15 years or so has seen it become grossly overdeveloped and trashed. Only the most unimaginative would ever consider booking a trip there. Overpriced garbage with mediocre food and jetski clogged beaches. Just a dump. 

Edited by Dtaw
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, khunPer said:

Direct flights from China, Hong Kong, Malaysia and Singapore have been flying daily before Covid-19 lockdown, and some of them even during a period upon reopening after 1st wave, plenty of international flight possibilities; you might be able to transit in Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, or Singapore, which a number of people already did before Covid...????

If I remember correctly for China it was a charter not a daily flight. 

Anyway , the idea was that the airport has a short runway accompanying only short/medium range planes. You will not be able to have a direct flight coming from Europe/US for example as the big planes will not be able to land.

Edited by anon7854

13 hours ago, gearbox said:

Whoever was desperate to get back is already back with the 15 days ASQ.  There will be no tourists coming, but it will be easier for foreigners living here to go back to their home country and then come back if vaccinated.

Also what is this "stringent testing" for locals? If I go to the Taksin Hospital in Surat Thani for a day, do I need to do a PCR test when catching the last ferry back?

I'm one of those who are desperate to get back but can't afford another 10 days quarantine on my return to blighty.

Would love to see my wife & child...

Yep, too many unanswered questions.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bikerlou47 said:

The Thai government just does not understand the facts!

What is the point to limit travel to a person who is fully vaccinated and has test tested negative before the flight and after the flight!

Exactly. I read somewhere that only 0.6% of those inbound tourists have found to have Covid and they've all been quarantined/hospitalised which begs the question, where are these outbreaks coming from ? I can only see one reason - illegal immigrants from the surrounding countries.

This begs another question, if Thailand cannot control their borders then what's the point of quarantine for those who have been double jabbed?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, desert dueller said:

No shift in employment opportunities for locals, then. So who is benefitting? And can you visit a 7/11? Who staffs that? And what are "local people" anyway?

More importantly, can I get beer??

19 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Another aspect is that Chinese in average are spenders with a daily average of $192.84 (2017 figure); and Europeans are on the lowest budget, daily average $125.47; Americans came in second lowest with $147.32. Tourist from Middle East spent $190.60 as second highest, but they are relative few, and Asians excluding ASEAN spent $175 a day. Average for all nationalities it was $159.32, so from an economical point of view both Americans and Europeans are under average spenders, and might be of less interest compared to Asian and Middle East tourists.

I've always disputed these figures. Chinese pre-pay their trips and shop in malls on debit/credit cards so the data is easily collated. Europeans tend to pay cash which is harder to monitor.

Anyhow off-subject, Sorry.

570211544_2021-05-25221145.png.3663ccb1b3233499686713ee88cc6705.png

They may be many but they are not big spenders , let's get this out of the way. I am not sure where that myth came from. The average salary in China is much lower than in Europe or US or Japan for that matter. It is impossible for a Chinese to have more disposable income. Also it isn't fair to compare how many Chinese go to Thailand vs Europeans. It is like comparing how many European tourists go to a European country vs how many Chinese get to Europe. Of course there are many ,  they are very close to each other - probably very cheap plane tickets.

Edited by anon7854

8 minutes ago, anon7854 said:

570211544_2021-05-25221145.png.3663ccb1b3233499686713ee88cc6705.png

They may be many but they are not big spenders , let's get this out of the way.

Asians stay less days in the country than European and Americans, therefore you have to look at daily usage rather than what a person (per tourist) spend in total to compare.

9 hours ago, khunPer said:

but China, Korea, Japan, India, The Gulf, and northern part of Australia are technically within range

So in addiiton to scuba lessons there will be parachute lessons as well? 

All this talk about runways and aircraft is beyond silly.

You can't just lay on flights without months and months of advanced planning.

The only option is PG - with limited capcity (70 seat ATR, A319), via BKK or by boat.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

After this they can do limited travel for the next three days according to the Samui Sealed Route Model.

They will not come into contact with local people.

So if they see a local they must cross the street, cannot go shopping in any type of convenience store or market, cannot eat in local restaurants, cannot use cafes, cannot use local transport.

How ridiculous is that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I'm one of those who are desperate to get back but can't afford another 10 days quarantine on my return to blighty.

Would love to see my wife & child...

Yep, too many unanswered questions.

If you do the ASQ quarantine, you do not have to do the Samui 'sandbox' thing. (Who on earth invented that name?)

We have guests arriving on Samui every week having completed the ASQ quarantine. They just come straight to the villa. No hassles.

The sandbox is so that you do not have to do the 15 days ASQ.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, anon7854 said:

If I remember correctly for China it was a charter not a daily flight. 

Anyway , the idea was that the airport has a short runway accompanying only short/medium range planes. You will not be able to have a direct flight coming from Europe/US for example as the big planes will not be able to land.

There were both charter and daily scheduled flights to Samui from China. At least three different airlines.

You are correct in that the long-haul larger planes cannot land here.

• Like 1