Group of six Nigerian and Thai nationals arrested for allegedly operating online romance scams and laundering money, with more than 200 million baht of annual income

webfact

4 minutes ago, Excel said:

Actually I would anticipate that their IQ would be higher than those in government.

Yes, especially the ones like the unelected "PM" who were "taught" at a Military Academy.

Edited by possum1931
  • Haha 1

Apart from losing their money, the worst shock for these lonely Thai spinsters must be that he was not the hansum American white guy in the photos but a black guy from Africa.  but there's a new one born every minute.

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

Surely it is the same for Thailand?  My UK bank will not communicate with my Thai phone because of, they say, the number of scams/problems with security.

Interesting. I use a number of UK banks and they have no problems calling me on my Thai number. Nationwide do have an issue with sending OTP's but that is for all non UK mobiles, not just Thai's.

Care to share the name of your UK bank for future reference? 

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok – The Crime Suppression Division (CSD) today, May 25th, announced the major arrest of six suspects of Nigerian and Thai nationals for allegedly operating online romance scams and laundering money

Remarkable…..even without a likely customer in sight, the African scammers/drug dealers/human traffickers, and other assorted rascals have already started returning to their former haunts on lower Sukhumvit in Bangkok. Maybe they got a good deal on a First Class repatriation flight and a deluxe Soi 3 ASQ.

Edited by Hayduke

It is just a complete coincidence that one of the most prevalent scams - the "send me the advance legal costs and I will cut you in on the millions" scam is named as 

Nigerian 419.

In case you don't know - 419 refers to the section of the Nigerian criminal code dealing with fraud....

17 hours ago, dabhand said:

Interesting. I use a number of UK banks and they have no problems calling me on my Thai number. Nationwide do have an issue with sending OTP's but that is for all non UK mobiles, not just Thai's.

Care to share the name of your UK bank for future reference? 

Royal Bank of Scotland.  I have had to give them my daughter's UK number & they send her a OTP & she passes it on to me by Messenger.

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2021 at 4:47 AM, RichardColeman said:

Are there seriously any honest Nigerians in this country ? Thailand really does not need these people in the country - there are no positive Nigerian stories ever posted on TV - just one every couple weeks about more Nigerian scammers.

Give them all 10 years and deportation on release.

I have never heard of any positive news of Nigerians in Asean nations. Not that I want to stereotype them, just never heard of any.

• Like 1