Gyms and Pools opening in the next couple weeks?

JDJD

A semi-reliable Thai source "555" told me today that there is a plan to open condo gyms and pools in the next week or two. I believe they could reopen the gyms, but the pools may be a stretch too far. Anyone else with the same inside knowledge? I'm getting FAT!

• Confused 2

49 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Why would you think that? The virus is mainly spread by droplets of infected saliva. It has been proven by tests at Imperial College that the chlorine level in a properly-maintained swimming pool will kill the virus and there is almost no chance of catching it while swimming. A gym, OTOH, is full of sweating, panting, straining bodies with droplets of body fluids spraying around in all directions, and nothing to kill the virus.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9465679/Health-Swimming-pool-water-inactivate-COVID-19-virus-just-30-SECONDS-study-finds.html

So why the overpriced alcohol hand sanitizers?

Could have had people dip their hands in the pool.

What a swiz....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

Why would you think that? The virus is mainly spread by droplets of infected saliva. It has been proven by tests at Imperial College that the chlorine level in a properly-maintained swimming pool will kill the virus and there is almost no chance of catching it while swimming. A gym, OTOH, is full of sweating, panting, straining bodies with droplets of body fluids spraying around in all directions, and nothing to kill the virus.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9465679/Health-Swimming-pool-water-inactivate-COVID-19-virus-just-30-SECONDS-study-finds.html

I didn't say it made sense, I'm just predicting future behavior based on past experience. I do believe the gyms were open and the pools were not for a while. I could be wrong. At that time my apartment didn't have a pool nor a gym, so it didn't matter much to me. Now, however, I'm footing the bill for conveniences I can not use. 

Edited by JDJD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimn said:

There is a review at the end of this week. Chonburi in Pattaya is based was rebranded to a RED zone so the gyms and pools etc could be opened but the Chonburi governor decided to keep them closed. As cases in Chonburi have decreased lately, he could decide to open them. Follow The Pattaya News on Facebook for updates.

That's great info Jimn. Thanks so much! 

Edited by JDJD

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

Wrong. Our [condo] gym is never full and always kept clean. Not a [] chance in hell of getting sick, just surviving and avoiding early death by obesity and inaction. But then you trust the Daily Mail for your injection of panic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Didn't the government just announce an extension of restrictions to the end of July?

I think it was an extension of the state of emergency which gives them the power to do what they want.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Didn't the government just announce an extension of restrictions to the end of July?

Talking to a bar owner in Chiang Mai yesterday and asked if she had any idea when bars will be allowed to open and she said August 1st so looks like the case. 

This government will destroy a large percentage of businesses before its over.

• Like 1

They should keep it all closed.

Opening them will just motivate Bangkonians from infection central to travel causing a worse problem.

And, anyone who cannot figure out a workout program to do from their home seem lame with little imagination.

You can buy those resistant bands and some leg weights at Decathlon and get a great workout without leaving home.  The bands go up to 100 pounds and many exercises are possible.  Double up the band for more resistance.

Add some stretching, pushups and situps.

I have actually gained strength/flexibility and gone without injury over the past month probably will not visit a gym again.

Edited by bkk6060

47 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Opening them will just motivate Bangkonians from infection central to travel causing a worse problem.

And, anyone who cannot figure out a workout program to do from their home seem lame with little imagination.

You can buy those resistant bands and some leg weights at Decathlon and get a great workout without leaving home.  The bands go up to 100 pounds and many exercises are possible.  Double up the band for more resistance.

I have actually gained strength/flexibility and gone without injury over the past month probably will not visit a gym again.

So how do I go for a swim in my room?

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I agree we need to keep Pattaya pure.....We need to keep those disease ridden mongrel zombies in Bangkok.....

I just had a stroll along the Jomtien Beach walkway from Chaiyapruek to the night market and back, very pleasant in the shade with a stiff sea breeze blowing. Interesting to see a number - not vast, but certainly in double-digits - of Thai people in the sea, not paddling looking for shellfish but out in deeper water enjoying themselves. There was even a large inflatable dinghy with three Thais on it being towed behind a jet bike. Every 500 metres or so there's a group of lifeguards doing nothing but playing with their phones. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if a farang had gone for swim, I'll bet the lifeguards would have been after him like a shot! In this weird world of Thai logic, it's fine for a Thai family to play in the water together or go on a jet bike ride, but a solitary farang swimming alone in the sea represents an unacceptable public health risk.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

As much as I am hating the lack of entertainment and nightlife currently in Pattaya, I do share that sentiment. 

I went down to Bang Saray this afternoon looking for a dip in the Briny, but no luck, Bang Saray beach is closed off by a metal barrier every 20 or 30 m with a flimsy red string in between, plus signs in Thai, as you can see bottom-left of the photo. It's easy to get through and onto the beach, as some Thai  people did, but it's obvious they don't want you swimming there so I just returned home.

IMG20210530145546.thumb.jpg.aa7d9b67e3174ab6823da9c030b8b782.jpg

Are any of the resorts in Na Jomtien with private beaches open for swimming?

Edited by Guderian

A troll post / flame has been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 7:26 PM, Lacessit said:

Simple physics tells me chlorine intended to kill 1000 - 2000 nm diameter bacteria would find 125 nm diameter coronavirus a mere snack. I don't need the Imperial College to tell me that.

The pools aren't the problem, it's the party-goers that gather around them.

Change is in the air:

The explosive revelation that the consumption of chlorinated baked  beans will kill the virus, and sanitize the environment - has the pharmaceutical company executives fuming.