Are 5 year driving licenses still available?

I currently have a 5 year car license, just expired and going to DLT tomorrow to complete everything. A friend of mine told me he renewed his 3 months ago and was told only 2 year licenses are available now? After the rigmorol I had to go through today I hope its not true 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

A friend of mine told me he renewed his 3 months ago and was told only 2 year licenses are available now?

Some friend told me and so did the cat next door.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Some friend told me and so did the cat next door.

Comedian second post in. Or at least you think you're funny

I am on a yearly parent visa. Am currently on a 5 year which I got from this office so hoping it will be renewed as such. 8 hours running around today to semi complete everything, jumping through all the ridiculous hoops. Kept telling myself its only every 5 years.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you are on a Non-immigrant visa you should have no issues renewing to 5 year licence. 

Don’t rely on ‘my friend told me’ when something is so clearly wrong - its akin to ‘a guy sat on the next bar stool told me....’

A friend of mine told me today he was issued with a 2 year 3 months ago. He is on a retirement visa. Not sure if he is OA or O.

And knowing how all IO seem to be laws unto themselves I have no hesitation in believing it. 

I myself am on an extension of an OA. Why I am on here asking. No need for the stern motherly warnings nor were bar stools involved. 

13 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

A friend of mine told me today he was issued with a 2 year 3 months ago. He is on a retirement visa. Not sure if he is OA or O.

And knowing how all IO seem to be laws unto themselves I have no hesitation in believing it. 

I myself am on an extension of an OA. Why I am on here asking. No need for the stern motherly warnings nor were bar stools involved. 

I’ve just called up a friend.... he says you can still get 5 year driving licences....  

Did your friend have an existing licence he was renewing?

Or had your friends previous licence expired more than 12 months ago?

.... Or, his issuance of a 2 year instead of a 5 year licence could have been a mistake.

Last year I was issued a 5 year licence while I’m not on a Non-Immigrant visa... Another mistake, but one which worked in my favour. 

Just now, damascase said:

Why in earth would you use an agent? It’s an extremely simple and cheap procedure.

Agents are good for registration, tax etc. No need to queue etc. Drop it off to them and renewal done by next day, about 200 baht. I think when renewing licenses, obtaining licenses they are pretty much their as a guide more than anything. You still have to be there and go through the motions, residence certificate, medical etc. if they are in the know they maybe be able to get you to the head of the queue but that's about it. I have never heard of anyone paying a sum and just getting a license, not in the last 5 years anyway

simply check DLT website for requirements, take them direct to DLT and proceed.......

two months ago I converted (3 months before expiry) a two year Visa Exemption DLT Licence for a five year Pink ID based one, with below process :-

forget agents or friends, they can mislead, and cannot perform the various personal tests required.

yes, longstay visa/ COR  or pink ID card/ YB ; + Existing  Licence & DLT Med Cert, will get you a five year DLT License starting your next birthday (but ED Visa gives only 2 year licence).

unlike Imm. all DLT offices (should) work to simple uniform procedure......

TIP take an imminent flight booking to ensure immediatelicence issue (avoids returning for test/ issue six weeks later).

3 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Comedian second post in. Or at least you think you're funny

I am on a yearly parent visa. Am currently on a 5 year which I got from this office so hoping it will be renewed as such. 8 hours running around today to semi complete everything, jumping through all the ridiculous hoops. Kept telling myself its only every 5 years.

There's a world pandemic since Songkhan Thailand has joined it, go to the DLT and find out for yourself.

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

To be fair, you did open the thread with ‘my friend told me’ and kind of opened yourself up to a certain degree of ridicule.....  

The reality is there is a pandemic and there is a great deal of uncertainty and huge measure of inconsistency. 

Another thread highlights that the DLT (Chatuchak) will not issue driving licences (renewals or new) because the rooms in which applicants are tested and watch the video are closed - thus, there is currently a licence amnesty. 

So... different DLT’s in different provinces and probably on different days all interpret their regulations differently with different results. 

The only way you will ever be sure is to get your documents together - go to the DLT and try. If that fails, go to the next closest DLT and try again. You may or may not get lucky. 

Open up with "a friend told me" or "asking for a friend" if I had the clap or wanted to try out a Katoey or some such I would understand. Asking a simple question where my friend actually did tell me? How is that opening yourself up to ridicule? Maybe the dullards / imbecilic may find that comical. I don't see how though? Thai visa used to be a friendly helpful place. Now it seems to be a shooting gallery where every post is the subject of those with nothing better to do who think they are judge, jury and executioner. In fact it seems to be the majority of people who are left on here. Numbers must have fallen.

I well aware things are all over the place ATM, and in fact usually are here from office to office. See guys on here squabbling about who is right and who is wrong re government departments which is ridiculous as they all have their own rules. By the way the license amnesty is a myth, probably started on TV here. We were originally told that over the phone but what they meant is you have up to a year to renew your license after it expires, doesn't mean you can drive around without one or be covered by insurance if you have an accident. My wife was told three different things until we went in person and were set straight. Other offices maybe saying different but I wouldn't stake the value of your car or someone you may hit on it. They are not testing in their offices but you are supposed to go and test at one of the approved private driving schools they suggest. They are fully linked up to DLT to do this.......did it myself today. It was a complete farce...sitting in the video room (I believe the video is in Thai anyway) the TV wasn't even turned on. Was as ridiculous as the "medical" certificate I got for 100 baht but TIT.

My aim was to arm myself with information before I went tomorrow to finalize things. I believe I have my answer now thanks to the one or two posters who genuinely replied 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Open up with "a friend told me" or "asking for a friend" if I had the clap or wanted to try out a Katoey or some such I would understand. Asking a simple question where my friend actually did tell me? How is that opening yourself up to ridicule? Maybe the dullards / imbecilic may find that comical. I don't see how though? Thai visa used to be a friendly helpful place. Now it seems to be a shooting gallery where every post is the subject of those with nothing better to do who think they are judge, jury and executioner. In fact it seems to be the majority of people who are left on here. Numbers must have fallen.

I well aware things are all over the place ATM, and in fact usually are here from office to office. See guys on here squabbling about who is right and who is wrong re government departments which is ridiculous as they all have their own rules. By the way the license amnesty is a myth, probably started on TV here. We were originally told that over the phone but what they meant is you have up to a year to renew your license after it expires, doesn't mean you can drive around without one or be covered by insurance if you have an accident. My wife was told three different things until we went in person and were set straight. Other offices maybe saying different but I wouldn't stake the value of your car or someone you may hit on it. They are not testing in their offices but you are supposed to go and test at one of the approved private driving schools they suggest. They are fully linked up to DLT to do this.......did it myself today. It was a complete farce...sitting in the video room (I believe the video is in Thai anyway) the TV wasn't even turned on. Was as ridiculous as the "medical" certificate I got for 100 baht but TIT.

My aim was to arm myself with information before I went tomorrow to finalize things. I believe I have my answer now thanks to the one or two posters who genuinely replied 

Here... this thread may interest you...erm, I mean your friend.... 

In the mean time...  take it easy and relax instead of acting like a butt-hurt princess because you didn’t have your question answered exactly to taste.

Good info on the amnesty being a myth, it wasn’t relevant to me so I didn’t fact check it. But, I did read it on this forum which could well have been something rubbish made up based on someones incorrect assumption. 

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Here... this thread may interest you...erm, I mean your friend.... 

In the mean time...  take it easy and relax instead of acting like a butt-hurt princess because you didn’t have your question answered exactly to taste.

Good info on the amnesty being a myth, it wasn’t relevant to me so I didn’t fact check it. But, I did read it on this forum which could well have been something rubbish made up based on someones incorrect assumption. 

Hurt Dicky? Lol. Not even close. Please stop flattering yourself

• Confused 1

Afaik they have suspended anything driving license related since last month, so currently you won't be able to extend it. I didn't see any news that they revoked this suspension yet.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Afaik they have suspended anything driving license related since last month, so currently you won't be able to extend it. I didn't see any news that they revoked this suspension yet.

Did you read my other posts? That's just not true, not at my DLT anyway

• Confused 2

38 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Banglamung are still doing renewals.

However the video malarky is not done on site.  thats done at place in Naklua. they issue a certifcate and you take that to the LTD to book appointment to do the eyesight and reaction tests, then they snap ya piccie and give you your licence.

Well that how it was on a Friends renewal this week.

36 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I gotta be doing something wrong.
Many posters have a friend to give advice on all sorts of topics, from all parts of Thailand, all 100% verified and true !

How about me !!! 555

Maybe because of your need to recycle cliched and moronic jokes to try and get on the bandwagon in a pathetic cry for attention?

???? there is no prize for seconds

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I don't know why TV tolerate people like you? It is clear you obviously have some issues, not least of them your spelling and grammar. Why snipe and berate people for no good reason on a reasonable question?... in the process making a fool of yourself? Like a child at the kiddy's table trying to get attention and interrupt the adults. 

And what a witty tag line lol. Or at least you must think is..... if anyone could work out what it all meant.  Go and get some help my friend ????

If you can't take a bit of a dig at you or a bit of banter about going to the DLT just go ahead and insult someone. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Told the same by ChiangRai office. 
No foreigners until June 30th
This may of course change............................

I'm on a Non Immigrant (Retirement) Visa and had a date booked for earlier this month at the Pattaya one just off Highway 36.  Dropped by the week before to confirm it was open and what documents needed.

1. Copy of passport details page
  2. Copy of visa page
  3. Copy of Yellow Book details page
  4. Doc certificate.

Was also told to come in any time early as they were not busy.  Went back the next day (Thursday 13th ish) at around 1100.  Handed in forms, waited 5-10 minutes to take colour blindness, reaction and depth perception tests.  Queued 5 minutes to pay, almost immediately to picture taking and then collect D/L a couple of minutes later.

D/L was until Feb 2027.

Wife very annoyed because I got longer than her and she hadn't finished her noodles when I was ready to leave.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Banglamung are still doing renewals.

However the video malarky is not done on site.  thats done at place in Naklua. they issue a certifcate and you take that to the LTD to book appointment to do the eyesight and reaction tests, then they snap ya piccie and give you your licence.

Well that how it was on a Friends renewal this week.

Interesting. Can you tell us the name of 'place in Naklau'. I've tried to find a driving school that does this and that the DLT accept. Thanks