‘Sloppy’ Thailand online shopping counterfeit scam

Card

On 5/30/2021 at 4:25 PM, Card said:

When u set up a Return/refund, the seller has to respond within 3 days. Mine responded with a 300 baht refund. I had 3 days to respond. I click the Respond button and I was given 2 choices - either accept the offer or cancel the Return/Refund request. I queried this with helpdesk and they said then I have to set up a new request. So I cancel my original request and set up another. The seller then ups his offer by 10 baht. The process repeats 4 times until I am told I have run out of times I can request and the seller has won, basically.

Are you saying that I should not have responded to the Seller's first offer because that was the only other alternative?

1) you shouldn't have ordered the product when you had a very good indication that it was fake.

2) you should use cash on delivery instead of paying upfront

3) when you give the shoes back to "his friend", you should have gotten a refund from that "friend"

So many mistakes and it is all Sloppy's fault.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 5/29/2021 at 3:54 PM, WorriedNoodle said:

Been using them for years and never had an issue. Fakes are easy to spot a mile off. If the price is too good to be true etc.

I only buy off Lazada by “pay on delivery” that wAy can check what you get is what you ordered and also not fake

• Sad 1

The seems to be some confusion on ownerships.

Lazada Group (t/a Lazada) is an international e-commerce company founded by Maximilian Bittner, Mads Faurholt, Stefan Bruun, and Raphael Strauch with the backing of Rocket Internet in 2012,[1][2] and owned by Alibaba Group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazada

Shopee Pte Ltd is a Singaporean multinational technology company which focuses mainly on e-commerce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopee

37 minutes ago, Cayuga said:

I only buy off Lazada by “pay on delivery” that wAy can check what you get is what you ordered and also not fake

So every time you get a delivery, you open and inspect it in front of the delivery guy and decide if you want it or not and then if you don't want it, give the open box back to the delivery guy? Really?

Hey, when you open the packages outside, does that shredded packing material ever blow out and make a mess? I hate that stuff, but the cat loves it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

There is one scam I just got caught by - currently under review by Shopee. I'm never worried about 'fakes' because if the goods delivered aren't genuine, you can refuse to release payment or request a refund. Three years ago, I got a pack of razor blades (Astra Superior) and refused to accept because the plastic casings were very very poor (i.e. bad moulding - the slots had plastic in them stopping the blades sliding out). I got a refund on the strength of pictures not matching the images on the website - but still tested the blades which are indeed genuine and still in use!

I ordered a keyboard in Shopee for a very good price (legitimately prices vary from around 1000 to 2000 baht according to spec) of 1300 and planned a separate order for Thai keycaps from Aliexpress to provide a nice colour contrast also (as it was the ENG only version with MX Brown switches).

So 3 days later, the bell rings and the delivery is made. As I handed over the cash, I opened the end of the box - but too late I spotted a cheap plastic toy inside. So I went back to my phone inside and checked the app.

The seller accepted the order and 'scheduled delivery by J&T'. He got the details - but he sent COD by Kerry so he can receive the cash because it doesn't go through shopee. Given that most things aren't delivered in 'official' looking vehicles nowadays, it's hard to spot... I guess the pandemic put an end to all deliveries via liveried vehicles.

1. The delivery people generally will not allow you to receive or open anything until you give money, so no stupid comments about that.

2. Whenever goods are delivered via shopee or Lazada I always got refunds - and only once had to actually return the goods (and that was free - handled by simply taking it to the local 7-11).

So I guess the point of this post is that you need to take care to take your mobile when you collect - check that the item is, indeed, marked for delivery and that the person delivering/label on the package matches the shipping marked in your app.

Waiting now to see what happens - should take a day or two to get an answer, maybe another week for a transfer/refund.

1,326 baht - EN COD Fraud Order Sn: 2202213G0399A1

28 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

There is one scam I just got caught by - currently under review by Shopee. I'm never worried about 'fakes' because if the goods delivered aren't genuine, you can refuse to release payment or request a refund. Three years ago, I got a pack of razor blades (Astra Superior) and refused to accept because the plastic casings were very very poor (i.e. bad moulding - the slots had plastic in them stopping the blades sliding out). I got a refund on the strength of pictures not matching the images on the website - but still tested the blades which are indeed genuine and still in use!

I ordered a keyboard in Shopee for a very good price (legitimately prices vary from around 1000 to 2000 baht according to spec) of 1300 and planned a separate order for Thai keycaps from Aliexpress to provide a nice colour contrast also (as it was the ENG only version with MX Brown switches).

So 3 days later, the bell rings and the delivery is made. As I handed over the cash, I opened the end of the box - but too late I spotted a cheap plastic toy inside. So I went back to my phone inside and checked the app.

The seller accepted the order and 'scheduled delivery by J&T'. He got the details - but he sent COD by Kerry so he can receive the cash because it doesn't go through shopee. Given that most things aren't delivered in 'official' looking vehicles nowadays, it's hard to spot... I guess the pandemic put an end to all deliveries via liveried vehicles.

1. The delivery people generally will not allow you to receive or open anything until you give money, so no stupid comments about that.

2. Whenever goods are delivered via shopee or Lazada I always got refunds - and only once had to actually return the goods (and that was free - handled by simply taking it to the local 7-11).

So I guess the point of this post is that you need to take care to take your mobile when you collect - check that the item is, indeed, marked for delivery and that the person delivering/label on the package matches the shipping marked in your app.

Waiting now to see what happens - should take a day or two to get an answer, maybe another week for a transfer/refund.

Have read twice and still not sure what it is about - often get delivery from different shipping company than indicated as they seem to cover for each other (but mine are prepaid anyhow).  This week had Kerry truck deliver Flash box as well as several Kerry.  I suspect what you got is what you were sent by seller.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Update:

Shopee say they're not interested because the Shopee seller simply used them to get details, but did the scam via Kerry. Dissapointed - they should be interested to (a) contact Kerry and cancel the COD cash reaching the sender (b) contacting the police, releasing the sellers details to the police and (c) organising with Kerry to get the money transferred back to the scammed customer.

They said 'do it yourself - go to the police'. The police said 'do it yourself - contact Kerry and ask for refund'.

Amazingly Kerry (without all the details - except the actual parcel number) said they would halt the COD cash and try to find a solution... then they said 'give us your bank details and wait 7 days'...

So watch this space.

I guess the news to take away from this is that you're pretty safe running scams online here - nobody wants to bother you, they'd rather just tell the customer to go chase their own cash.

4 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

Update:

Shopee say they're not interested because the Shopee seller simply used them to get details, but did the scam via Kerry. Dissapointed - they should be interested to (a) contact Kerry and cancel the COD cash reaching the sender (b) contacting the police, releasing the sellers details to the police and (c) organising with Kerry to get the money transferred back to the scammed customer.

They said 'do it yourself - go to the police'. The police said 'do it yourself - contact Kerry and ask for refund'.

Amazingly Kerry (without all the details - except the actual parcel number) said they would halt the COD cash and try to find a solution... then they said 'give us your bank details and wait 7 days'...

So watch this space.

I guess the news to take away from this is that you're pretty safe running scams online here - nobody wants to bother you, they'd rather just tell the customer to go chase their own cash.

Maybe they're still mad about the razor blades and other stuff you got refunds for.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

Update:

So watch this space.

Exactly. In the UK credit card companies will reimburse if u receive a fake product but in Thailand they are not interested unless you received no product.

34 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Maybe they're still mad about the razor blades and other stuff you got refunds for.

I actually felt guilty about that - it was only about 230 baht, but remember a newsagent who caught me stealing a chocolate bar (I think 30p) explained that he made only 2p profit - so he must generate a turnover for another 15 bars of chocolate (£4.50) before he even got that back.

If Shopee are that hard on their actual sellers, then surely they should be even more angry and keen to chase up scammers who only use their platform to fraudulently gain customer information and orders.

However, I learned the lesson - don't receive anything not tracked properly in the app. Annoyingly simple because the delivery driver called me, I put down the phone and walked right into it.

Anyway, just as a matter of interest - seeing as I just won 3 Macbook Pro's in competitions and only have use for two, I'd be interested to sell one for maybe 30,000 baht if you're interested...

30 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It was COD, not a credit card order

Yes, however I feel that - in the UK - both Shopee and the Police would be keen to record the incident and have a stab at rectifying it and finding information to see if they can grab the scammer... Fraud is rather more important to deal with than simply recovering the money.

If I get the money back, I won't be sad - but I'm still left disappointed. It actually took up 3 hours of my day simply to get through to these people - emails with Shopee collecting all the evidence and sending it, then (on their advice) going to the police station - wasted an hour there making more calls to Kerry.

Then, of course, my wife shouting because I didn't just go to a shop to buy the keyboard... It's a RK100 and there IS no alternative in the shops, you can buy via Aliexpress but it's hard to find Thai keycaps without spending another 50% of the price...

Edited by ben2talk

5 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

I actually felt guilty about that - it was only about 230 baht, but remember a newsagent who caught me stealing a chocolate bar (I think 30p) explained that he made only 2p profit - so he must generate a turnover for another 15 bars of chocolate (£4.50) before he even got that back.

Then why brag about it?

If Shopee are that hard on their actual sellers, then surely they should be even more angry and keen to chase up scammers who only use their platform to fraudulently gain customer information and orders.

It would be too easy for them to get scammed

However, I learned the lesson - don't receive anything not tracked properly in the app. Annoyingly simple because the delivery driver called me, I put down the phone and walked right into it.

Did you have an open order on Shopee or not? If so, what happened to it? 

Anyway, just as a matter of interest - seeing as I just won 3 Macbook Pro's in competitions and only have use for two, I'd be interested to sell one for maybe 30,000 baht if you're interested...

Oh, I'm absolutely  interested, just send me you account number, DOB, SS# and mother's maiden name and I'll transfer the funds right away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

Yes, however I feel that - in the UK - both Shopee and the Police would be keen to record the incident and have a stab at rectifying it and finding information to see if they can grab the scammer... Fraud is rather more important to deal with than simply recovering the money.

If I get the money back, I won't be sad - but I'm still left disappointed. It actually took up 3 hours of my day simply to get through to these people - emails with Shopee collecting all the evidence and sending it, then (on their advice) going to the police station - wasted an hour there making more calls to Kerry.

Then, of course, my wife shouting because I didn't just go to a shop to buy the keyboard... It's a RK100 and there IS no alternative in the shops, you can buy via Aliexpress but it's hard to find Thai keycaps without spending another 50% of the price...

Police in the UK are going to get involved over a $50 keyboard? 

The Seller's shop has been blitzed.

The open order was never marked 'sent' or paid... The seller won't collect more than the information/delivery details via shopee.

The seller can now go ahead and open another 3-4 shops with the identical item, images, and maybe try with a few prices to attract greedy people, and others with a price nearer the original.

1 minute ago, ben2talk said:

The Seller's shop has been blitzed.

The open order was never marked 'sent' or paid... The seller won't collect more than the information/delivery details via shopee.

The seller can now go ahead and open another 3-4 shops with the identical item, images, and maybe try with a few prices to attract greedy people, and others with a price nearer the original.

Why not get all your friends to order them and just not answer the door when the delivery shows up?

• Haha 1

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Police in the UK are going to get involved over a $50 keyboard? 

I'm not sure - does this mean scammers are safe if they focus on multiple $50 scams? Though I expect that the accounts are too easily set up using a burner phone...

9 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

I'm not sure - does this mean scammers are safe if they focus on multiple $50 scams? Though I expect that the accounts are too easily set up using a burner phone...

As said I did not get your OP - cheap plastic toy describes most keyboards so did not get the scam label.  Guess on 5th reading you mean you got a plastic <deleted> rather than a keyboard?  Yes I am a bit slow these days but expect not the only one. ????

On 5/29/2021 at 3:42 PM, Card said:

I usually use Lazada for online shopping but tried ‘Sloppy’ for the first time and ordered some famous brand leather shoes at a quarter (2500 baht) of the shop price

Ha ha ha 

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2022 at 6:47 PM, Yellowtail said:

Then why brag about it?

It would be too easy for them to get scammed

Did you have an open order on Shopee or not? If so, what happened to it? 

Oh, I'm absolutely  interested, just send me you account number, DOB, SS# and mother's maiden name and I'll transfer the funds right away. 

Ok, - to finalize this story - I was told by Shopee that it wasn't their problem, the seller got banned and no action was taken against him... But Kerry, after a good many crazy phone calls over a month, did come up trumps - the keyboard was collected and I was refunded.

It seems that scammers don't get in trouble as long as they cough up when they get caught...

Always look at reviews and if the seller has a good score. if a product doesn't have reviews, I will not touch it.  And if you can buy from official sellers on there - and as others have said, if the price is too good, it is cos it is fake. 

Both L and S have a lot of fakes, just got to be smart about spotting them. 

Edited by PremiumLane