Visit UK but can I get Back

20 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I agree it's uncertain times but at the worst it's 2 weeks quarantine which is not the end of the workd so long as you have the time and money.

You are forgetting about the other hoops you have to jump through and time frames, then there is the risk which I believe is real of catching the Chinese virus on the plane or at the airport.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Well...I was thinking the same. BUT I'd prefer to be vaccinated, first here, then there.

When do you expect to have access to vaccine in Thailand.

Rule 1. Don't believe a word they say.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you want to go back to the UK its easy enough to return to Thailand. 

First there is the UK quarantine (self isolation) - upon arrival you must travel to your destination and stay inside for 10 days and take two Covid-19 RT PCR test (on arrival in the UK you’ll need to show evidence of having booked these ‘postal’ tests - also a PCR test before departure from Thailand).

With Regards to your point on UK Self Isolation. Please be aware that if you Transit through a red country within the 10 days prior arrival into UK then this is classed as RED and you will incur 10 days hotel isolation.

A couple of the main routes back are via Turkey and Dubai which are both red so this would mena no self isolation at home. As detailed below.

If you have also been in or through a country or territory on the red list in the 10 days before you arrive in England, you must follow the red list rules.

58 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You are forgetting about the other hoops you have to jump through and time frames, then there is the risk which I believe is real of catching the Chinese virus on the plane or at the airport.

I'm not forgetting anything and fully understand the risks.

I've been through the 'hoops' you mention 3 times already, not much fun i agree but far from impossible.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

When do you expect to have access to vaccine in Thailand.

Hey, Jack, I have a confirmed appointment letter for June 15th.

I just don't know if 'confirmed' has the same meaning in Thai as it does in English. ????

On 5/30/2021 at 12:54 PM, richard_smith237 said:

First there is the UK quarantine (self isolation) - upon arrival you must travel to your destination and stay inside for 10 days and take two Covid-19 RT PCR test (on arrival in the UK you’ll need to show evidence of having booked these ‘postal’ tests - also a PCR test before departure from Thailand).

Returning to Thailand under the current regulations you will need to apply for a Certificate of Entry.

You will need: https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/regis/step?language=en

1)    Colour Scan of Passport 

2)    Colour Scan of Visa / Extension of Stay (and re-entry permit)

3)    Colour Scan of Insurance Document which states you are insured to US$100,000 in the event of complications due to Covid-19

4)    Copy of ASQ Booking

5)    Copy of Flight Booking / Confirmation

---------------

On the 2nd of July there is a meeting of the CCSA whereby the Phuket Sandbox model will be discussed (and possibly officially approved), there should be greater information there. 

It is looking likely that that anyone will be able to fly directly into Phuket and stay at a SHA+ approved hotel for 7 days (PCR test on day 5) without the need to quarantine inside the hotel i.e. free to travel around the island of Phuket but not leave for 7 days. 

For the vast majority of people travelling into Thailand the Phuket sandbox option seems much better option than a regular 14 day quarantine in Bangkok.

Good information, and I returned to Thailand last year using a similar process, plus 15 days quarantine in an ASQ in Bangkok.

But I would worry about changes in policies during the OP's 2 month stay in UK.

While I was working my way through the processes the insurance requirement was a constantly moving target, and the fine details of the type and timing of test was never clear.  The flight booking process was also unclear.

Since my return the quarantine reduced to 10 days, then 7 if vaccinated, then back to 15, then possibly back to 7 if you enter via Phuket, during a full moon, whilst singing the national anthem backwards, and with your fingers and toes crossed.

I would be worried about the flip-flop policies and the fuzzy details, so would only travel if absolutely necessary and  if I could be very flexible on the return date.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HashBrownHarry said:

If you don't mind me asking how did you get appointment to get vaccine in Thailand, what was / is the process?

Thx.

I registered with the local Government hospital through our Poo Yai Baan (Village Head).

Although I do have a Thai ID number, I registered a couple of days before the Mor Prom App was launched. For foreigners with only a Passport for ID, you can register from June 7th.

Each Province should have provided information on how and where to register for that Province.

Village Heads, Health centres, hospitals etc.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I registered with the local Government hospital through our Poo Yai Baan (Village Head).

Although I do have a Thai ID number, I registered a couple of days before the Mor Prom App was launched. For foreigners with only a Passport for ID, you can register from June 7th.

Each Province should have provided information on how and where to register for that Province.

Village Heads, Health centres, hospitals etc.

Ok thanks.

So i'm assuming the private hospitals are not offering the vaccine at an inflated proce.......yet?

45 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Good information, and I returned to Thailand last year using a similar process, plus 15 days quarantine in an ASQ in Bangkok.

But I would worry about changes in policies during the OP's 2 month stay in UK.

While I was working my way through the processes the insurance requirement was a constantly moving target, and the fine details of the type and timing of test was never clear.  The flight booking process was also unclear.

Since my return the quarantine reduced to 10 days, then 7 if vaccinated, then back to 15, then possibly back to 7 if you enter via Phuket, during a full moon, whilst singing the national anthem backwards, and with your fingers and toes crossed.

I would be worried about the flip-flop policies and the fuzzy details, so would only travel if absolutely necessary and  if I could be very flexible on the return date.

That is defiantely a concern is someone was ONLY prepared to return with the 7 day Phuket Sandbox Island quarantine....  

Thus: fully refundable flights and bookings are key.

But for those returning anyway the current worst case scenario os 15 nights ASQ, anything better than that is an improvement and we can just roll with changes. 

But, from a purely tourist point of view... I wouldn’t be making any hard reservations as not only could the Sandbox policy change, but so could the return to my home nation (i.e. if taking quick 1 or 2 week break from China, Korea or Singapore - who I guess the ’Sandbox tourism is aimed at)

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Ok thanks.

So i'm assuming the private hospitals are not offering the vaccine at an inflated proce.......yet?

There is a thread in Thai news forum re vax registration June 7. Started on may 21 but still popular and drawing debate.

For members that have been following the news topics many are over the flip flops. Also outlandish statements from various Ministers. 

If adequate supplies are available and the village heads can roll it out then perhaps in many provence there might be a reasonable result. 

For farang living in Bangkok don't think there will be much joy.

Some like myself are waiting until it's available at private hospitals. Won't be cheap. In meantime I moved out of Bangkok.

14 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Ok thanks.

Not yet. However for many farang it will be the go to option when available. Won't be cheap I'm thinking.

Edited by DrJack54

23 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The OP says he plans on visiting the UK for '2 months or so'. If I was him I'd get my vaccinations done whilst I was there. As he has a retirement visa he must be over 50 - in which case vaccine doses are now given 8 weeks apart so as long as he contacts a GP as soon as he arrives, he should be able to get both done.

Apart from the obvious health benefits, he could have an easier time returning to Thailand - depending on the ever changing entry requirements at the time.

No need to worry about eligibility - the UK offers free vaccines to everyone, even visitors.

He does not need to contact a GP IF he has an NHS number 

Book or manage your coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination

15 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Your on the right forum now.

The problem for retirees over 75 is the 400/40K Health Insurance requirement, however that is only required if applying for a STV, Non O, Non O-A, or Non O-X or entering with a re-entry permit from a valid extension of stay based on retirement.

The 400/40K Health Insurance isn't required if entering VE or on a TV.

The 100,000 USD is mandatory for all entries, but available up to age 99.

I have read that it's available for up to 99 years in headlines but in fact found no insurance company accepting over 75s in practice. Would love to be directed to one after proving it. 

2 hours ago, VBF said:

He does not need to contact a GP IF he has an NHS number 

Book or manage your coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination

With respect, the online booking service often gives appointments weeks in advance - it did for me. That in itself was no problem but it was also 30 miles away.  My daughter however, contacted our GP's surgery and got an appointment locally within 6 days. If the OP is only staying around 8 weeks, he doesn't have the luxury of being able to wait. A first jab just 2 weeks in would probably make it impossible for him to get his second before he returns to Thailand.

The automated system doesn't seem to have much lee-way and many people complain about far distant appointments. I think this is one of those cases where personal service is better than 'computer say no'.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 6:54 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Returning to Thailand under the current regulations you will need to apply for a Certificate of Entry.

You will need: https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/regis/step?language=en

1)    Colour Scan of Passport 

2)    Colour Scan of Visa / Extension of Stay (and re-entry permit)

3)    Colour Scan of Insurance Document which states you are insured to US$100,000 in the event of complications due to Covid-19

4)    Copy of ASQ Booking

5)    Copy of Flight Booking / Confirmation

---------------

On the 2nd of July there is a meeting of the CCSA whereby the Phuket Sandbox model will be discussed (and possibly officially approved), there should be greater information there. 

It is looking likely that that anyone will be able to fly directly into Phuket and stay at a SHA+ approved hotel for 7 days (PCR test on day 5) without the need to quarantine inside the hotel i.e. free to travel around the island of Phuket but not leave for 7 days. 

For the vast majority of people travelling into Thailand the Phuket sandbox option seems much better option than a regular 14 day quarantine in Bangkok.

Thanks for sharing this info. I'm also looking to travel to Thailand from the UK and will be monitoring the sandbox option closely to avoid the regular 14 day ASQ in BKK, if possible. 7 days sounds far better than 14.

My circumstances are different to the OP. Not married to Thai / have children etc. I'm looking to enter Thailand VE or Tourist Visa & switch to a Retirement visa once I reach 50 at the end of the year. Once fully vaccinated, I'm looking to travel end of Aug. I could wait until Oct (or later) & hopefully avoid quarantine but I want to get in when the door is open. Something tells me the whole sandbox scheme will not run smoothly and expansion will be delayed! Hope I'm wrong......

My queries relate to 'Amber list' & FCO info regarding Non Essential travel. Whilst the government messaging has been confusing at best, I think the landing is, it's not illegal to travel to Thailand (currently Amber) from the UK but is discouraged by the UK Gov. The offical Foreign Travel guidance site just warns against Non Essential travel specifically to the Myanmar border provinces only.

Has anyone travelled from the UK to Thailand recently? Do you need to provide your reason for travel in any documentation? Will my reason for travel be deemed Non Essential on VE or Tourist visa? Is this part of the Tourist visa application? I've assumed that, if I successfully get the Tourist visa from the Thai Embassy, London I will be good to go.

Just nervous I will be incurring several £ for flights, hotels, ASQ, tests & Insurance etc to be tripped up on what they may deem Non Essential. Any advice / guidance would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Lemonltr said:

I have read that it's available for up to 99 years in headlines but in fact found no insurance company accepting over 75s in practice. Would love to be directed to one after proving it. 

Covid Insurance.

Itinerary Detail : Gain Peace of Mind Get Online Coverage : Thai General Insurance Association (tipinsure.com)

1. Eligibility:  Any person aged between 1 - 99 years old on the date of application.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Carrbhoy said:

I'm looking to enter Thailand VE or Tourist Visa & switch to a Retirement visa once I reach 50 at the end of the year. Once fully vaccinated, I'm looking to travel end of Aug.

To obtain an 1 year extension of permission of stay, you must have a Non Imm type Visa.

By entering on a TV, this will grant you a stay of 60 days + 30 day extension = 90 days.

You can apply for the Non O at your local Immigration office as a prelude to applying for the 1 year extension. However you must be 50 years of age to apply for the Non O and have at least 15 days permission of stay remaining. (23 days at certain IO's).

To give yourself some 'wiggle' space, you really don't want to enter until 2 months before your 50th birthday on a TV.

1 hour ago, Carrbhoy said:

My queries relate to 'Amber list' & FCO info regarding Non Essential travel. Whilst the government messaging has been confusing at best, I think the landing is, it's not illegal to travel to Thailand (currently Amber) from the UK but is discouraged by the UK Gov. The offical Foreign Travel guidance site just warns against Non Essential travel specifically to the Myanmar border provinces only.

Travel restrictions were lifted on May 17th for travel from the UK.

The FCDO only advise against travelling to Amber or Red listed Countries, but you are free to make your own decisions in that respect. There are quarantine requirements when returning to the UK from a red or amber listed Country that you need to be more aware of.

Red, amber and green list rules for entering England - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Has anyone travelled from the UK to Thailand recently? Do you need to provide your reason for travel in any documentation? Will my reason for travel be deemed Non Essential on VE or Tourist visa? Is this part of the Tourist visa application? I've assumed that, if I successfully get the Tourist visa from the Thai Embassy, London I will be good to go.

Quite a few foreigners returning from overseas to Thailand.

Whether it's non essential or not is now your decision to make.

No reason why you shouldn't get the TV and your good to go.

Just nervous I will be incurring several £ for flights, hotels, ASQ, tests & Insurance etc to be tripped up on what they may deem Non Essential. Any advice / guidance would be appreciated.

Most flight and ASQ bookings are fully refundable or changeable if your travel was delayed for some reason. Check the conditions when booking. Insurance cover dates can also be changed, but you won't get any refund for the fee if failing a Covid RT-PCR test.

You are mixing 'guidance' from the UK Gov with terms and conditions of entry to Thailand.  Neither country is interested in the rules of the other - they are separate.

Thailand is accepting tourists normally - except from testing and quarantine requirements so you should not have any problems with the visa application. I'm not sure if the UK is still asking people to give reasons for travel but the current advice on countries on the Amber List is just that - advice/guidance.  Legally, you could state that you are going for a holiday if you so wished - there is no law against you travelling to an Amber List country. I believe the UK requires sight of a negative PCR test result within 72 hours of your flight to allow you to travel but Thailand also wants that for C.O.E. so you should have that covered.

Depending on the rules at the time you travel - you will need a little more than a visa on the Thai side of things - you will need to apply for a C.O.E. and purchase Covid 19 insurance that lasts as long as you will be stamped in for - i.e. Tourist Visa is 60 days - the insurance will have to cover you for at least 60 days. There are other requirements for a C.O.E. as you will see when you apply.

One thing you might want to check on - if you are thinking of purchasing travel insurance (not the Covid 19 insurance), you might want to check with the insurance company - normally such insurance is void if government advice is not to travel to that country.  I'm not sure of that in this case but it could be a waste of money.

Edited by KhaoYai

6 hours ago, DefaultName said:

We don't know what the "rules" will be tomorrow, speculating on several months away is pointless.  Go and chance it, or don't go and accept your situation.  Up to you.

Congrats on most pointless post of the day. Some sound, relevant info here. Perhaps stick to the knitting section. ????

40 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

You are mixing 'guidance' from the UK Gov with terms and conditions of entry to Thailand.  Neither country is interested in the rules of the other - they are separate.

Thailand is accepting tourists normally - except from testing and quarantine requirements so you should not have any problems with the visa application. I'm not sure if the UK is still asking people to give reasons for travel but the current advice on countries on the Amber List is just that - advice/guidance.  Legally, you could state that you are going for a holiday if you so wished - there is no law against you travelling to an Amber List country. I believe the UK requires sight of a negative PCR test result within 72 hours of your flight to allow you to travel but Thailand also wants that for C.O.E. so you should have that covered.

Depending on the rules at the time you travel - you will need a little more than a visa on the Thai side of things - you will need to apply for a C.O.E. and purchase Covid 19 insurance that lasts as long as you will be stamped in for - i.e. Tourist Visa is 60 days - the insurance will have to cover you for at least 60 days. There are other requirements for a C.O.E. as you will see when you apply.

One thing you might want to check on - if you are thinking of purchasing travel insurance (not the Covid 19 insurance), you might want to check with the insurance company - normally such insurance is void if government advice is not to travel to that country.  I'm not sure of that in this case but it could be a waste of money.

Great KhaoYai - thanks for clarifying. Good news. I'm good to go then. Will sort the flights, ASQ, CoE, testing, Condo & will check out the Insurance small print nearer the time.

57 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

To obtain an 1 year extension of permission of stay, you must have a Non Imm type Visa.

By entering on a TV, this will grant you a stay of 60 days + 30 day extension = 90 days.

You can apply for the Non O at your local Immigration office as a prelude to applying for the 1 year extension. However you must be 50 years of age to apply for the Non O and have at least 15 days permission of stay remaining. (23 days at certain IO's).

To give yourself some 'wiggle' space, you really don't want to enter until 2 months before your 50th birthday on a TV.

Travel restrictions were lifted on May 17th for travel from the UK.

The FCDO only advise against travelling to Amber or Red listed Countries, but you are free to make your own decisions in that respect. There are quarantine requirements when returning to the UK from a red or amber listed Country that you need to be more aware of.

Red, amber and green list rules for entering England - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Quite a few foreigners returning from overseas to Thailand.

Whether it's non essential or not is now your decision to make.

No reason why you shouldn't get the TV and your good to go.

Most flight and ASQ bookings are fully refundable or changeable if your travel was delayed for some reason. Check the conditions when booking. Insurance cover dates can also be changed, but you won't get any refund for the fee if failing a Covid RT-PCR test.

Thanks Tanoshi - sound advice as usual. I feel more comfortable cracking on with the traavel plans and covering off all of the hoops / paqperwork required.

Re using a Tourist visa 60+30, I was hoping to travel end of August (3 months prior to reaching 50) & use the Covid Extension so plan was TV 60 + 30 + Covid Ext. 60. I appreciate this is a bit of a Risk but felt it was Low. Didn't think these wouldn't be in place for Nov21 given the vaccine rollout, ongoing need for ASQs and border closures etc. I would then sort the Non O at my local Immigration office early Dec21 as a prelude to applying for the 1 year extension. Would appreciate your input.

Also, the local immigration office would be in Chiang Mai. Do you know if they are 15 days or 23 days?

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

With respect, the online booking service often gives appointments weeks in advance - it did for me. That in itself was no problem but it was also 30 miles away.  My daughter however, contacted our GP's surgery and got an appointment locally within 6 days. If the OP is only staying around 8 weeks, he doesn't have the luxury of being able to wait. A first jab just 2 weeks in would probably make it impossible for him to get his second before he returns to Thailand.

The automated system doesn't seem to have much lee-way and many people complain about far distant appointments. I think this is one of those cases where personal service is better than 'computer say no'.

Fair point, but that will depend very much on your location and how busy they are at the time.

My experience in February was:

Opened the link I posted on February 13th, entered my NHS number, DoB etc..

Offered choices of venue from 2 - 15 miles away - I chose the closest, of course.

Then offered a multitube of dates / times commencing the following week. Chose as convenient to me...February 18th as it happened.

The system then offered my second jab commencing 6th May - same choices as above.  I chose May 6th.

I think for  @rocky123 once you fix your travel dates, you could try the online system and see what it offers you.

Very much a case of "YMMV" I think.

Good luck, 

Edited by VBF

1 minute ago, VBF said:

I think for  @rocky123 once you fix your travel dates, you could try the online system and see what it offers you. Very much a case of "YMMV" I think.

Good luck, 

Yes, if he knows his NHS number there should be nothing stopping him booking his appointments whilst still in Thailand.  Any problems accessing government websites can easily be overcome using a VPN.

• Like 1