Farang fatalities

w94005m

We appear to have escaped remarkably lightly according to the official statistics with regard to fatalities from covid-19. Especially bearing in mind the relatively high percentage of retired visa holders. Maybe we are blessed or shielding more? What do you think?

Edited by w94005m

45 minutes ago, w94005m said:

We appear to have escaped remarkably lightly according to the official statistics with regard to fatalities from covid-19.

That's exactly what they were saying in India a couple of months ago and look how that turned out... And England is now spiking with the same variant as India being the cause.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

That's exactly what they were saying in India a couple of months ago and look how that turned out... And England is now spiking with the same variant as India being the cause.

India didn't fare too badly, it was mostly media hype.

Deaths per million cases by country :

India 230

Italy 2086

France 1600

UK 1907

Germany 1060

US 1799

Mexico 1745

Brazil 2163

Source : https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Look at the figures - they're worried about India, out of control they say, very bad ????????????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

well I don't won't to open a new tread again so that is what I read in the Australian news today

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-30/thailands-covid-sucess-threatened-by-third-wave/100166432

One would assume that he was a Type 1 diabetic at that age, where the risk according to the Lancet is double that of Type 2 diabetics. In Thailand, the risk for diabetics according to govt stats is almost 3 times worse than in the UK tests (5.5 times more likely to die). Not a surprise, as hospitals are not trained to handle diabetics. That a high-risk individual was not prioritized and actually ignored is tragic.

48 minutes ago, ukrules said:

India 230

Italy 2086

France 1600

UK 1907

Germany 1060

US 1799

Mexico 1745

Brazil 2163

Source : https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Look at the figures - they're worried about India, out of control they say, very bad ????????????

Yes, but the Indian numbers are recognized to be wild underestimates. Both in case and fatalities. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/24/indias-covid-death-toll-hides-stark-truth-for-the-poor-its-even-worse

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I think that, unlike other foreigners in Thailand (e.g. Cambodian or Burmese labourers)  we are less likely to be living in close quarters with infected people.

Also, having access to all the current information about preventative measures, together with all the daily hygiene routines that were drummed into us as kids, gives us an advantage.

Much lesser cases for us would certainly drop fatalities down, but I do see Thais are a lot better at wearing facemasks. Certainly where I live.

Edited by w94005m

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

that's because certain groups won't have the vaccine, mostly uneducated people

Thats 1 side , the other side of the story is that AZ is given to many in UK , and with 1 vaccination it has showed nearly non working vs the Indian mutation , which is exactly the mutation flaring up . 2 shots of AZ does work better , but most people did not get that yet . So in fact it is the same like in Seychelles , with a big spike in cases again , mostly on or un vaccinated or single vaccinated with vector based vaccine + Indian mutation .

27 minutes ago, sezze said:

Thats 1 side , the other side of the story is that AZ is given to many in UK , and with 1 vaccination it has showed nearly non working vs the Indian mutation , which is exactly the mutation flaring up . 2 shots of AZ does work better , but most people did not get that yet . So in fact it is the same like in Seychelles , with a big spike in cases again , mostly on or un vaccinated or single vaccinated with vector based vaccine + Indian mutation .

Screenshot_2021-05-31-06-10-37-912_bbc.mobile.news.uk.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

India 230

Italy 2086

France 1600

UK 1907

Germany 1060

US 1799

Mexico 1745

Brazil 2163

I would have to assume your numbers are cumulative since March 2020. I'm sure if you looked at the last 6 weeks it would be a different story.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, atpeace said:

Farangs are faring well and as whole are not the healthiest or youngest .  As for those that state it is too early and spikes throughout the world, this is true but data shows things are improving dramatically.  I'll make decisions based on data, even imperfect data, over innuendo and assumptions.  The data points to a world that is for the most part free of Covid by the end of the year give or take a couple months.  With that said, I've been wrong about many of my Covid assumptions and might be wrong yet again.

Agreed, but there's an awful of poor countries with minimal vaccine. Thailand is a big exception to that with a 25th world ranking by GDP, but 45th in doses administered. Even Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia have fully vaccinated a greater percentage of their population than Thailand

Edited by w94005m