Canceling rental contract

15 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Why would the Landlord reimburse monies spent by the tenant to make the place more "homely", did the landlord ask the tenant to do this ?

The Landlord canceling the rental agreement should be returning the security deposit though.

Because he in on his 2nd month of a 3 year contract and the work was approved in writing for the upgrades plus a year in advance in rent was paid 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foghorn said:

My advice was to stay put , let the landlord try and evict him . Thailand doesn’t work the way of the world as you put it because too many people don’t stand their ground .  I didn’t put this on here for someone to solve his problem, just for a bit of free advice from people who may of had the same thing happen to them .  I am trying to help him , it’s not me I brought my ground  here.

My wife rents apartments and she cannot do what is happening to your friend, must be some nasty landlord trying it on to get your friend out and raise the rent.

I would say read the type of contract agreement that was signed by both parties.

If it has a clause in which the landlord can give notice within the 3 years there is something not right, it's up to the landlord to agree on length of stay and once length of time is agreed then your friend can stay.

Your friend should go to his local area Govt office and find out where he stands, and make sure he cannot not be harassed by the landlord.

If all fails return the place back as best he can to what it was as long as he doesn't do criminal damage. 

6 hours ago, Foghorn said:

plus a year in advance in rent was paid 

Wow!! That's rich... good luck to your friend. He will be harassed if the landlord wants him out. One year in advance... I hope he didn't pay the landlord in cash and/or has some sort of proof. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah any changes I make to my house has to be approved by the owner... does not mean Iam to reimbursed for them.

Lol @ paying a years rent in advance, Ya friend aint gunna be getting that back either !!

Yes ,but after spending the money surely the contract should be honored and if not reimburse him  . The landlord knew why the money was being spent and the rent given. Would you walk away with the loss?

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

My wife rents apartments and she cannot do what is happening to your friend, must be some nasty landlord trying it on to get your friend out and raise the rent.

I would say read the type of contract agreement that was signed by both parties.

If it has a clause in which the landlord can give notice within the 3 years there is something not right, it's up to the landlord to agree on length of stay and once length of time is agreed then your friend can stay.

Your friend should go to his local area Govt office and find out where he stands, and make sure he cannot not be harassed by the landlord.

If all fails return the place back as best he can to what it was as long as he doesn't do criminal damage. 

Thankyou , I will take him go speak at the government offices tomorrow 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foghorn said:

Yes ,but after spending the money surely the contract should be honored and if not reimburse him  . The landlord knew why the money was being spent and the rent given. Would you walk away with the loss?

I'm quite sure your friend is an honorable and at least smartish person - after all s/he can negotiate rental contracts and carry out home repairs etc.

Maybe stand your ground is the answer, but that is gonna take some resilience to put it mildly if they decide to get r e a l difficult.

My answer to your question is that I would never put myself in that position in Thailand no matter who I was dealing with.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

That’s why I do air b &b monthly’s and stay 6 months at a time no deposits or minimal 

But you just pay more for a monthly (6 months) Air BnB than someone who’s made a 3 year rental agreement. 

I used to agree to a 2 year or 3 year rental term with sufficient discount so that if I reneged on the contract at the end of the year even without the deposit returned it would still work out cheaper. 

In this case, the Op’s friend has paid 50,000 baht to upgrade the property and paid 12 months rent up front. 

What were the upgrades: Some upgrades may need to be ‘returned to their original condition’.

Is the landlord offering the return of the deposit and the rent paid upfront ???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Wow!! That's rich... good luck to your friend. He will be harassed if the landlord wants him out. One year in advance... I hope he didn't pay the landlord in cash and/or has some sort of proof. 

Landlord hit pay dirt.

Rental deposit.

Upgrades to house.

1 year rent.

Cha Ching !!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, BusyB said:

I'm quite sure your friend is an honorable and at least smartish person - after all s/he can negotiate rental contracts and carry out home repairs etc.

Maybe stand your ground is the answer, but that is gonna take some resilience to put it mildly if they decide to get r e a l difficult.

My answer to your question is that I would never put myself in that position in Thailand no matter who I was dealing with.

It occurred to me that this post looks a bit holier than thou. I wanted to make plain that I have also paid tuition fees in my life. 

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Expect those 50k of homely adjustments to come out of the deposit, maybe the landlord didn't approve them and doesn't like them

The money is not the problem if my friend can stay there as per contract ,it’s only a problem if he’s illegally evicted 

On 5/31/2021 at 7:47 AM, Foghorn said:

plus a year in advance in rent was paid 

How dumb was that.  I have never heard of anyone agreeing to such a odd arrangement. The phrase more money than sense comes to mind. 

On 5/30/2021 at 10:28 PM, Foghorn said:

My advice was to stay put , let the landlord try and evict him . Thailand doesn’t work the way of the world as you put it because too many people don’t stand their ground .  I didn’t put this on here for someone to solve his problem, just for a bit of free advice from people who may of had the same thing happen to them .  I am trying to help him , it’s not me I brought my ground  here

Sorry, but the reason Thailand doesn't work like in the west has nothing to do with people standing up for themselves.

It's due to the level of corruption in Thailand! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ericthai said:

Sorry, but the reason Thailand doesn't work like in the west has nothing to do with people standing up for themselves.

It's due to the level of corruption in Thailand! 

corruption can work in both way

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/1/2021 at 12:26 AM, BusyB said:

It occurred to me that this post looks a bit holier than thou. I wanted to make plain that I have also paid tuition fees in my life. 

We all have ! The once stupid become wise old men . 

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2021 at 8:24 AM, bwpage3 said:

50,000 baht is nothing, unless your broke.

No one likes to have money wasted.

As a very wealthy family member told me once... Rich people don't get that way by spending it.

• Like 1