International tourists to be tempted back to Phuket with hotel rooms for just $1

webfact

9 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Well...let us all know how your holiday goes.  If it works out as true and the bars and everything else is ope , the I will also go there. 

But I don't want to go if it's going to be a ghost town and all the shops and bars shut up. 

Some bars, shops, restaurants won't open. Sadly theyr'e gone for now! But there are enough good uns left that will open

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

The scam is: it's not going to happen

imo it sounds more like a pathetic attempt to create a buzz

in the hope to attract again some attention on phuket  from

the international travelers

doing that with a fake news + false hopes to lure few tourists seems to be their choice

Yep, and it's only a "proposal" in any case.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rcuthbert said:

In 2006, a tuk tuk was 500 baht from Karon to Patong.

No problem. You can stay in your $1/night hotel room for a week cooking Mama noodles in your kettle, before catching a bus to Pattaya ????

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

They aint coming mate, gonna cost a family of 4 near $1000 for tests both ways without even the flights 

Alot of bitter little old men  on here hoping it doesn't happen..

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

16 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Bars are still closed and no alcohol in restaurants. If you've got any friends in Phuket don't bother to try and visit them as house guests are still not allowed either...????

We are talking about July 1st are we not?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

We are talking about July 1st are we not?

Yea tongue in cheek just incase you decided to come earlier its just surreal that we have these measures in place still now and yet it all changes on 1st July if it indeed does and there are no further outbreaks

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

If you fail the mandatory post PCR test though you will look back on the decision from your hospital suite.

They take you to a hospital for the full test.  If you fail that, then yes, you'll have to quarantine.  Same thing other countries are doing.

8 hours ago, Rhacsyn said:

Rumour from Patong is that small bars may open on 10th June. Not important and only gossip but having worked there for 30 years, my missus is normally in the know.......

A group of bar owners submitted a partition to the big fella I think the reply was every bar girl has to be vaccinated before opening

6 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

It doesn't matter what the topic is, the bitterness towards everything Thai from the same few names  is just  unreal ,I often wonder why guys who obviously hate the place don't go somewhere that makes them  feel  a little happier. But then again I'm pretty sure where ever they go they'll be just  as miserable... 

Well put.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

It doesn't matter what the topic is, the bitterness towards everything Thai from the same few names  is just  unreal ,I often wonder why guys who obviously hate the place don't go somewhere that makes them  feel  a little happier. But then again I'm pretty sure where ever they go they'll be just  as miserable... 

A lot of the whingers don't even live here !!

• Like 2

What a lot of nonsense why $1 and not pay one night next free. Why subsidise hotels this has been normal in the past. Main problem is where are these tourists coming from with Asia suffering serious outbreaks of Covid every where 

15 hours ago, RafPinto said:

As usual. You can't sell, put the price up.

That's the logic here mate.

God knows what goes through their heads..

Personally I'm looking forward to the baht collapsing again.

That will be the only time you will get a good deal on anything here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Under the proposals, foreign tourists visiting the island would be offered rooms from just $1 per night. The rooms available would normally be valued between 1,000and 3,000 baht per night, with the rest of the cost being subsidized by the government

Ridiculous

17 hours ago, webfact said:

If successful, the campaign could generate 40 billion baht for hotels in Phuket throughout July.

And bankrupt the government...

so tourism will be subsidised by the government.

I thought the idea was to get revenue coming into government coffers not the other way-around?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

A little overly optimistic in my book, but hey miracles are possible and Santa Claus is real along with the Easter Bunny.  You have to believe in the ridiculous to believe these people.

If the government foot the hotel bill for international tourism it would be a miracle indeed.

• Like 1