Is it too early to go to Thailand?

The more I read the worse it looks, multiple tests, can't leave the room, can't change the sheets? 

And the sandbox not happening any time soon?

Thoughts:

1. American 
  2. Living in the Philippines (things are no better here, but lax enforcement means its free-er)
  3. Can't take it any more, going to the US to get my Pfizer jabs
  4. Despite having an expensive retirement visa, I won't be able to get return until I get an entry exemption document which apparently will happen in 3 to 6 months till never. So I need to work from some where during this time.
  5. Can't be in the US more than 35 days and don't even want to bump up on that (huge tax implications)
  6. Will be spending time working from near the border in Mexico between the jabs and the 2 weeks after
  7. Had planned to go to Phuket around July 26th and enjoy the no quarantine as my entry in to Thailand and then go to BKK - learned this is a fairy tale, and that most everything is closed and boarded up.
  8. Then thought maybe I'll just do the damn quarantine in BKK, and then move to what looks like AMAZINGLY cheap accommodations- but  then read how awful the ASQ is and the multiple tests no changing sheets , no leaving room hell. 
  9. Now wondering, is it even a good idea to plan on going to Thailand right now? Also India strains , etc? 
  10. Maybe after my vaccines I should just move out to a nicer part of Mexico until Thailand is surely reopened or I can return to the Philippines. It's easy to enter , its close to the US, and from what I read it's pretty damn decent. No need visa, 180 days on entry.

What do you guys think?

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

There ia ALOT more to Thailand than the old  beaten path and now boarded up tourist spots.

Why not go see further affield off that path, you might just be amazed and wonder why you didnt do it before.

I agree with that, but my advice would be to wait until next year to do it. 

I really just need a nice place to work, good internet, and some good food. It's not really a vacation for me, though I can on the weekends or something. 

I suppose after going through the quarantine, I'll be good to do that in BKK and what seems to be very affordable prices?

I don't really NEED to party right now. Just liked the idea to be close to the Philippines. Thought Thailand might be a good place to work. 

Edited by Mike J Burns

first vaccinate, you need at least 2 weeks after the second jab for the vax to start protecting you at good level.

Even if phuket's sandbox will be restricted, it's still better and cheaper, than quarantine in Bangkok. And you will be able to leave hotel room to gym, swimming pool, beach, sport grounds. But you need to book direct flight to Phuket, emirates, quatar, the BA, but also singapore airlines.

At some stage they might revert to 10 days quarantine in bangkok, but still lost time. At the time they are not mentioning it anymore.

Looks, like thailand is pretty safe, but get good insurance and live close by to private hospital

• Like 1

Just now, internationalism said:

first vaccinate, you need at least 2 weeks after the second jab for the vax to start protecting you at good level.

Even if phuket's sandbox will be restricted, it's still better and cheaper, than quarantine in Bangkok. And you will be able to leave hotel room to gym, swimming pool, beach, sport grounds. But you need to book direct flight to Phuket, emirates, quatar, the BA, but also singapore airlines.

At some stage they might revert to 10 days quarantine in bangkok, but still lost time. At the time they are not mentioning it anymore.

Looks, like thailand is pretty safe, but get good insurance and live close by to private hospital

Only $522 from LAX to Phuket on Singapore airlines on the date I want July 26, two weeks post 2nd dose. I was planning on use this fight.

But you think should hold off booking anything until it's a known reality ? 

I would stay in the Philippines. The hassles of travel and the continually changing covid situation means that any well thought out plans could come to nothing and you could get caught between two stools.

If you don't like where you are ( Manila , Angeles ? ) then relocate to an alternative big City like Cebu or somewhere. At least a change of scenery and avoids losing more than you might gain in coming here. 

As for Thailand right now .... a lot of their schemes have come to nothing or had to be delayed..

Best to hang tight and wait for whatever vaccine it is that you want to be available. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Denim said:

I would stay in the Philippines. The hassles of travel and the continually changing covid situation means that any well thought out plans could come to nothing and you could get caught between two stools.

If you don't like where you are ( Manila , Angeles ? ) then relocate to an alternative big City like Cebu or somewhere. At least a change of scenery and avoids losing more than you might gain in coming here. 

As for Thailand right now .... a lot of their schemes have come to nothing or had to be delayed..

Best to hang tight and wait for whatever vaccine it is that you want to be available. 

Pfizer and Moderna will not become available to me here in PH until its irrelevant haha. It's just not happening sadly. It's true I could just stay here in my house and probably not get Covid but I'm done, I'm gonna get my Pfizer jabs before the US gives them all away or they expire haha. Sick of it all. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 11:39 AM, internationalism said:

The situation is too fluid in Thailand right now, with so much uncertainty about vaccines, or lack thereof. Even if the Phuket sandbox proceeds as outlined, nothing is fixed in stone, so I wouldn't risk it, but then moving to Bangkok after 7 days, (if indeed that is permissible), you might find it difficult to find accommodation; hotels and serviced apartments are currently closed. Currently restaurants are open without alcohol, bars are closed. Most people who can (foreigners) self-isolate as there are so few (both Thais and foreigners) vaccinated. I would certainly go to the USA to get vaxxed, but stay in Mexico, until Thailand gets sorted. It may happen within the next few months, but it is impossible to say. And what is announced today can, and very often is changed tomorrow. The aim is for Bangkok to cut quarantine by 1 October. But we have heard of many "aims", so everything is meaningless; most people are beyond exasperation, and many, like myself are waiting to see whether it's better to seek vaccination overseas, if we can't get anything until the end of the year.

On 6/3/2021 at 11:43 AM, Mike J Burns said:

Only $522 from LAX to Phuket on Singapore airlines on the date I want July 26, two weeks post 2nd dose. I was planning on use this fight.

Yes.

• Like 1

If you're a regular tourist (someone who doesn't otherwise has a compelling reason to come to Thailand), I'd say it's too early to have a relaxing, carefree holiday. Too many hoops to jump through to enter and too many wildly different restrictions from one province to the next.

On the other hand, if you have plenty of time and are flexible, now is the time to see Thailand's most beautiful places without the usual overcrowding.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, samtam said:

The situation is too fluid in Thailand right now, with so much uncertainty about vaccines, or lack thereof. Even if the Phuket sandbox proceeds as outlined, nothing is fixed in stone, so I wouldn't risk it, but then moving to Bangkok after 7 days, (if indeed that is permissible),

As of today, the touted 7 days stay required in Phuket (post arrival with vaccination) has been doubled to 14 days stay, proving that touted outlined plans can and do change. So immediately your cost of accommodation doubles, (and from memory, but this too may have changed), you are required to book through SHA, (whatever that is; I'm afraid I didn't even bother to check).

3 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

i will keep a long story short and say forget mexico. go, have a great time for a week or two, but come home to the usa to use the toilet.

He can't be in the US more than 35 days for tax reasons.

21 hours ago, samtam said:

The situation is too fluid in Thailand right now, with so much uncertainty about vaccines, or lack thereof. Even if the Phuket sandbox proceeds as outlined, nothing is fixed in stone, so I wouldn't risk it, but then moving to Bangkok after 7 days, (if indeed that is permissible), you might find it difficult to find accommodation; hotels and serviced apartments are currently closed. Currently restaurants are open without alcohol, bars are closed. Most people who can (foreigners) self-isolate as there are so few (both Thais and foreigners) vaccinated. I would certainly go to the USA to get vaxxed, but stay in Mexico, until Thailand gets sorted. It may happen within the next few months, but it is impossible to say. And what is announced today can, and very often is changed tomorrow. The aim is for Bangkok to cut quarantine by 1 October. But we have heard of many "aims", so everything is meaningless; most people are beyond exasperation, and many, like myself are waiting to see whether it's better to seek vaccination overseas, if we can't get anything until the end of the year.

Here is the link to a Q&A by one of Thailand's best known travel bloggers, Richard Barrow. It shows the level of detail and hoops required to enter Phuket, and what you might expect there. There are certain elements that are "not guaranteed", and if these are important to you, then, as I suggested, it is too early to see how this will pan out. The sandbox proposal has apparently received "in-principal" approval from the government. However, approval or amendments will be made on 8 June, and then published in then subsequently published in Royal Gazette, (become law).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, samtam said:

He can't be in the US more than 35 days for tax reasons.

he could live in tijuana and walk over the border into san diego in the usa to use the toilet.

if its brown he can flush it down, and if its yellow let it mellow (saves water).

On 6/2/2021 at 8:55 PM, Mike J Burns said:

Will be spending time working from near the border in Mexico between the jabs and the 2 weeks after

Are you aware that the US-Mexico land border has been closed for a year with no sign it will reopen anytime soon?  You can fly but not cross by land.  

Edited by Phillip9

1 hour ago, Phillip9 said:

Are you aware that the US-Mexico land border has been closed for a year with no sign it will reopen anytime soon?  You can fly but not cross by land.  

Yeah I've seen the official statements. But you can read in the comments on most any post that it's not really true, it's only closed to tourists trying to come in to the USA from Mexico.

Americans can exit and enter Mexico no problem , Mexico is stopping no one. 

And returning to the USA is only for essential travel ...and get this being US citizen or resident returning to the USA is considered essential travel. Yeah, it's silly haha.

Edited by Mike J Burns

Update: The Philippine government finally decided to allow its SRRVisa holders unfettered entry in to the country. So I will not be going to Thailand quite yet. Plan is to fly in to San Diego, get vaccinated and other errands and tests. Spend time between doses in a couple Tijuana AirBnbs, enjoy a lot of Mexican and American food. Already booked and ready to go.

This is quite an expense and hassle to get a vaccine that they just announced is far less effective on the delta strain but oh well and honestly I can't wait to eat good food again.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 12:02 PM, Mike J Burns said:

It's true I could just stay here in my house and probably not get Covid

That sounds like the most sensible part of your elaborate plans... chicken w/o a head is the iamge I get of your other ideas... nobody really likes restrictions but such is the world these days... 

On 6/3/2021 at 11:39 AM, internationalism said:

They have changed you can transit BKK Now 

1 hour ago, Ireland32 said:

They have changed you can transit BKK Now 

I think they'll be a lot of "they have changed..." So it may be better to wait and see how it actually works out in reality.

Like the vaccination programme, better to see what "plans" actually materialise. Wishful thinking, and being encouraged by "the government plans to...." is an exercise in futility, which I have played for too many weeks.

On 6/3/2021 at 10:55 AM, Mike J Burns said:

What do you guys think?

Give Thailand a miss, until the present infection rate particularly in Bangkok fall and they have got the vaccine programme done properly..

ie both jabs and most or the population, not some of the population, none in other areas and only one jab.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2021 at 11:43 AM, Mike J Burns said:

Give until mid July earliest just to see how things play out , if OK look at Aug sometime then you'll be a lot wiser on the situation.

On 6/3/2021 at 11:00 AM, CharlieH said:

There ia ALOT more to Thailand than the old  beaten path and now boarded up tourist spots.

Why not go see further affield off that path, you might just be amazed and wonder why you didnt do it before.

I wouldn’t go there it’s a mess and lockdown in Phuket still on with no bars open and no alcohol in restaurants, that’s from a friend who is there right now, stay away is his advice????

19 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I wouldn't go to Thailand right now until they lift the quarantine.  Who wants to spend 14 days locked up in a hotel room that you have to pay exorbitant fees for.

I would wait at least two or three months after the lifting to have more confidence in that they won't re-implement it and everything is going as expected to avoid unpleasant surprises. At the moment I am not even considering going before it is at least november. Most likely it will be 2022 until it is worth planning a trip to Thailand again.