Key Rohingya smuggling ring leader dies in prison

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

A former army officer who was serving a heavy jail term for his involvement in a major Rohingya trafficking ring died on Wednesday in a prison hospital in Bangkok, the Corrections Department said.

The world just became a slightly better place.

I only wish there really existed  a hell for scum like this to burn in for all eternity. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Another silly sentence. Chances of him living to 145 were pretty slim I imagine. 

High sentences affect the prisoner's ability to gain parole.  Example: if someone is sentenced to 30-yrs for murder, he/she might be out after serving only 1/2 to 1/3 that time.  Being sentenced to 82-yrs effectively means death behind bars in this instance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Another fine example of this illustrious, elitist club that only has the dignity, security and well-being of the nation at its heart, and at great personal sacrifice. What a terrible loss!!! I cannot even express my sadness over the departure of this exemplary shining beacon of boundless charity and unending compassion for humankind.  

And of course all the things "he knew" died with him.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

If you do one thing today please take the time to read this article about the background of the case.

Thai politicians and military involved, secret prisons, torture and mass graves. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/rise-and-fall-of-general-manas-thailands-top-trafficker

Rights groups welcomed the verdict but warned that many perpetrators remain at large.

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Another silly sentence. Chances of him living to 145 were pretty slim I imagine. 

I might be a bit of a wet rag 'liberal' in many eyes on this forum, but I'm a great supporter of 'life means life' for some.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Another fine example of this illustrious, elitist club that only has the dignity, security and well-being of the nation at its heart, and at great personal sacrifice. What a terrible loss!!! I cannot even express my sadness over the departure of this shining beacon of boundless charity and unending compassion for humankind.  

Well put, Mr. Whisper, well put! ????

• Haha 1

LtGen Manas committed the unpardonable sin; he got caught.

For those who weren't following the story at the time, here's a quick summary:

News reports and irrefutable evidence of massive human smuggling were revealed in 2014, though it had been going on for long before then.

The military government under coup leader Gen Prayuth insisted that smuggling was happening with the participation of the police and local politicians, but not the Thai military.  Considering the massive military presence in the south of the country where the smuggling was occurring this was obviously ridiculous.  The junta also promised repeatedly a massive reform of the corrupt RTP.

The RTP came up with documented evidence proving LtGen Manas was a key player in the smuggling.

LtGen Manas was arrested.  An investigation was opened.  Months later the lead investigator fled the country fearing for his life.  https://www.cnn.com/2015/12/10/asia/thai-investigator-australia-asylum/index.html

The investigation quietly ended with no further big shots implicated.  Talk of reforming the RTP was scaled down considerably and led to nothing.  The RTP had shown it would take others down with it if there were any talks of interfering in its profitable business operations.

High level corruption at the expense of the little people continued as before.

• Thanks 2