Thailand to buy 25 million doses of Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer vaccines in June

snoop1130

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

50 million more doses are to be procured next year for the third dose,

This is the 2nd Orwellian thing I have noticed today (phuket stay has quietly gone from 7 to 14 days).

Since when did any of the vaccines requires a 3rd dose ????

Just now, Peterw42 said:

This is the 2nd Orwellian thing I have noticed today (phuket stay has quietly gone from 7 to 14 days).

Since when did any of the vaccines requires a 3rd dose ????

Quite some time..... it was being suggested to people that a 'booster' would be very likely required in the UK since March or April... 

That would be one large step for Thailand and one giant leap for mankind. 

One can only hope it happens. This freak show would be getting comical, if it was not so tragic. 

One has to wonder if they are capable of getting anything right. Procuring the vaccines does not  exactly require magic, nor is it the most difficult of undertakings. 

13 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Why don’t they team up with a company and produce it locally? It would be more efficient, and cheaper. Even a government full of halfwits could sort that out. Oh wait……

I thought they were making locally?  if so I wouldn't hold my breath for lower prices.

10 hours ago, moogradod said:

Now they are at least talking about nearly every possible vaccine that could eventually be available in the future. Better than saying that they will never ever be available.

But can please someone enlighten me why MODERNA is always excluded ? This would be my first choice given all I read in the European press about the other possibilities.

You can register for Moderna vaccinations from Thonburi Healthcare Group.  It looks like the cost will be around 5,000 baht for both shots from them.  They said they are expecting to receive Moderna vaccination at the end of September and start giving vaccinations in October.  You need line on your phone.  I have put a scan image below to add them to line.  Once you add them as a friend you will receive a link to register at.  You will need to read Thai or have someone help you.

I checked Bangkok hospital too.  On their main website it says they have not been approved yet by the government to administer the Moderna vaccine.  So they can not take reservations yet.  (owners wear the wrong color shirts???)

Screenshot (38).png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Why don’t they team up with a company and produce it locally? It would be more efficient, and cheaper. Even a government full of halfwits could sort that out. Oh wait……

they successfully did already: Siam BS (BioScience) which teamed up with A-Z

Doesn't the Pfizer vac have all sorts of logistical requirements ? Freezing cold storage and transportation, limited shelf life etc.? You cant just pop it in the fridge at the hastily constructed vaccine centre.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shdmn said:

J&J probably doesn't but BioNtech/Pfizer are really cranking them out now.   So I think Pfizer deliveries to Thailand in June is probably feasable if Thailand can get their act together by approving it and making a deal with them.

Ummmm has anyone told them in the translation that Pfizer has to have special refrigeration that is stored at - 70 degree Celsius ?

Edited by 4MyEgo

Just now, 4MyEgo said:

Ummmm has anyone told them that they have to have special refrigeration that is stored at - 70 degree Celsius ?

Naah , it'll go in a foam box and they"ll turn the fan on !

• Haha 2

With the number of articles I've read during the last 6 months about all the doses Thailand has ordered, the plan must be to turn the country into a hub of vaccine hoarding. They're probably modelling it on Yingluck's rice-pledging scheme, buy all that you possibly can at whatever inflated price is necessary, then store it in an old leaky warehouse until it goes off. Amazing Thailand.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Ummmm has anyone told them in the translation that Pfizer has to have spcial refrigeration that is stored at - 70 degree Celsius ?

Dry ice, commonly available in Thailand, sublimates at -78C, so it's not that difficult.

• Thanks 1

now pfizer changed their storage recommendation and -15C is good enough.

They can be transported and stored in special containers with dry ice. Just enough to top up ice once a week.

For moderna it's now -20C.

In the airports in the West they did prepare cargo area with special freezers. Thailand doesn't have them yet, so 

they will have to build them or organise fast transport from an air plane GPO facilities in town. Usually they are checked for quality, before sending to hospitals. They will able to do it.

Even ordering small batches, a few tonnes at time, would  solve bottleneck problems on thai side

• Like 2

If you read the article, they left out the word 'EXPECTED' in the headline.  Expected to buy.  Not the same thing as actually buying something.   And, of course, no date given as to when the vaccines will actually arrive since they have not actually been bought.  Get back to us when there's actually vaccines actually here. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Will it come with nurses to inject the vaccine as an added extra since Thailand has hit a wall with limited folks who are trained.

Surely, a half day course at the local Vocational College with a Lunch bunged in would be the answer to that small issue.

Thailand.- Land of Drama Queens.

• Like 1

if that's true it's great news, better late then ever, as the recent news about the Chinese Sinovac efficiency/credibility is scary

https://www.yahoo.com/news/chinas-covid-19-vaccines-dont-123035757.html

China's COVID-19 vaccines don't appear to be effective at preventing outbreaks in the real world

2 hours ago, Keesters said:

pro·cure

/prəˈkyo͝or/

verb

obtain (something), especially with care or effort.

"food procured for the rebels"

synonyms: obtain, acquire, get, find, come by, secure, pick up, get possession of, buy, purchase, get hold of, get one's hands on, get one's mitts on

Antonyms: 

promised by Anutin,

announced by a government spokesman,

to be delivered next month,

roll out starts Monday,

and so on until the cows come home.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

J&J?

Just read an article today about severe problems with one of their production sites.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/jj-unsure-meeting-june-covid-19-vaccine-supply-target-eu-nos-2021-05-27/

xx million this month? Dream on.

The headline says 'buy' in June, not receive.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shdmn said:

I saw numbers around 4000b for 2 Moderna shots in stories posted here and elsewhere.  You are saying 4000b for one Moderna and 7500b for one Pfizer.  Once again, where are you getting your numbers from?

Fortune teller on soi 4.

14 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Might not be cheaper. Listen to Ed Carr on the 'The Jab', the Economist's podcast, arguing that local production might slow down distribution in the short term.