Thailand to buy 25 million doses of Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer vaccines in June

snoop1130

As the first plan was tagged at THB 300 billion I can only fathom on what the extra expense will be for this publicity stint. 

What a godforsaken mess, and all is to be paid for by Khon Thai's tax money. The latter has seen a massive shrinking of business = no profits = no taxes. Carrying forward those losses for the next five years = good luck to Khon Thai! 

Please keep this in perspective.  

25 million doses means 12.5 million vaccinated.

For a population of 70 million that is nowhere near enough.  It's a start though!  

And remember, when they hit the ground it won't be 12.5 million people vaccinated.  It will take time to inoculate and time to take effect.  Once all is said and done at least a month to a month and a half.  

Health concerns are now coming to the surface about the Pfizer vaccine too. 

Some people, understandably, have reservations about the available vaccines and want to wait for 'the good one'. That will be in the future after a few years of tweaking, because that is what happens with vaccines normally- 5-10 years of constant evaluation.

11 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

procuring and receiving are two totally different things, you buy now and sometime later you will receive, like maybe early 2022

The definition of "procure" is to obtain. So hard to see how you can obtain something without receiving it. That said, it might be that Bangkok Post misused the word.

1 hour ago, rwill said:

You can register for Moderna vaccinations from Thonburi Healthcare Group.  It looks like the cost will be around 5,000 baht for both shots from them.  They said they are expecting to receive Moderna vaccination at the end of September and start giving vaccinations in October.

Still has not been ordered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

This is the 2nd Orwellian thing I have noticed today (phuket stay has quietly gone from 7 to 14 days).

Since when did any of the vaccines requires a 3rd dose ????

I was wondering about that, too. It turns out that some countries that used Sinopharm are recommending a third booster dose after 6 months. Chinese officials said that both Sinopharm and Sinovac require a booster after 6 months. So maybe that's what a "3rd dose" refers to?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Health concerns are now coming to the surface about the Pfizer vaccine too. 

Some people, understandably, have reservations about the available vaccines and want to wait for 'the good one'. That will be in the future after a few years of tweaking, because that is what happens with vaccines normally- 5-10 years of constant evaluation.

Rather vague? If you're referring to health threatening reactions to the vaccine, is there any vaccine this isn't true for? And the reason vaccines used to take so long to approve is because they couldn't be tailored and customized to defend against a particular virus. 

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Ummmm has anyone told them in the translation that Pfizer has to have special refrigeration that is stored at - 70 degree Celsius ?

I'm sure someone has told them that the specs have changed. Not only can the vaccine be stored long term at temperatures attainable by typical consumer grade freezers, but it can also be stored in a refrigerator at 2-5 degrees centigrade for up to a month.

Edited by placeholder

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I'm sure someone has told them that the specs have changed. Not only can the vaccine be stored long term at temperatures attainable by typical consumer grade freezers, but it can also be stored in a refrigerator at 2-5 degrees centigrade for up to a month.

I think I have spotted something at 7/11 in the alcohol section.

Something looking like a vaccine between the Hoegaardens, Leos, Changs.

42 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Please keep this in perspective.  

25 million doses means 12.5 million vaccinated.

For a population of 70 million that is nowhere near enough.  It's a start though!  

J&J is one-shot, Pfizer two.

Assume a 50-50 split in the order - who knows really - then that's 18.75 MM fully vaccinated people, rounding down to 15 MM (spoilage), that's ~ 30% of the stated goal (by the regime, for herd-iness) of 50 MM people fully vaccinated.

Children 12 and under might not be in the vaccine pool, so that 70 MM figue needs to be reduced.

Will any of this happen? Of course not.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I was referring to the Pfizer not the J&J vaccine. 

The office in Bangkok where my wife is working, has managed to arrange on site inoculation with AZ for all interested employees on Tuesday next week. Unfortunately spouses are not invited.

16 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Why don’t they team up with a company and produce it locally? It would be more efficient, and cheaper. Even a government full of halfwits could sort that out. Oh wait……

Last year AZ gave them the copyright to produce their vaccine in Bangkok but he ho still awaiting that one.

If they let Private Hospitals procure then as they deal with big pharma all the time the vaccines would be here now but of course then the 'big profit' would also be just divided between big pharma and the big private hospitals!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The office in Bangkok where my wife is working, has managed to arrange on site inoculation with AZ for all interested employees on Tuesday next week. Unfortunately spouses are not invited.

Let us all know how that didn't go, next Wednesday ????

4 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

I just saw on CNN news that America is giving Asian countries over 7 million vaccines free of charge TIT

I read recently in the South China Morning Post that Hong Kong may have to dispose of millions of doses of Pfizer vaccines which have not been taken up by the locals and expire in August. 

There was some talk of them being donated to other countries. 

I imagine though that logistics could be a problem transporting Pfizer.