Thailand to buy 25 million doses of Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer vaccines in June

snoop1130

14 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Wow, I'll take the J%J or the Pfizer with a doggie bag, as you never know when you will get the second shot Now where will the shots take place ? Private hospital, Public hospital, or the good old 7/11 ?

I can pretty much guarantee you Pfizer/Moderna will be happening at hospitals because of the need to be super frozen when transported.  All the other ones can be shipped/stored at regular fridge temperatures so those will be used at mass vaccination sites and maybe elsewhere at some point.

12 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Ummmm has anyone told them in the translation that Pfizer has to have special refrigeration that is stored at - 70 degree Celsius ?

For shipping yes which is why they are shipped in special boxes in dry ice, usually directly from the factory to the location they will be used. 

For storage I believe they can be kept be at regular freezer temps for up to 30 days at the location they will be unthawed and used at.  So more logistically challenging that the others but doable.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/4/2021 at 7:34 PM, Wiggy said:

Why don’t they team up with a company and produce it locally? It would be more efficient, and cheaper. Even a government full of halfwits could sort that out. Oh wait……

They did Astra zinica made by a company owned by a certain family 

On 6/4/2021 at 11:02 PM, clivebaxter said:

Anyone kept a total of how many they have said are on order over the past couple of weeks? got to be getting on for 200.000.000 by now

My thoughts exacty... over the months I read so many articles about so many millions of vaccines being ordered and yet Thailand still waits.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 1:02 PM, ukrules said:

A big step in the right direction if it ever actually happens.

I just gave up reading this perpetual SHIITT!   (see if that gets past the TWATTS who edit TV????.....Got better things to do!

Edited by Mario666
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

My thoughts exacty... over the months I read so many articles about so many millions of vaccines being ordered and yet Thailand still waits.

In most cases I don't think much was actually ordered.  The announcements were just placeholders, stalling until the local AZ showed up--apparently late and in lower quantities than expected.  So, lots of articles along the lines of:  the government was thinking about ordering...  Or planning to buy...  Or, I believe yesterday, expecting to procure...  Lots of useless talk, talk, talk with very little in the way of action.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, shdmn said:

I can pretty much guarantee you Pfizer/Moderna will be happening at hospitals because of the need to be super frozen when transported.  All the other ones can be shipped/stored at regular fridge temperatures so those will be used at mass vaccination sites and maybe elsewhere at some point.

Thailand does have a cold storage facility ready for the Pfizer/Moderna jabs.  It's been built by Zuellig Pharma.

https://www.nationthailand.com/perspective/40000344

6 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Thailand does have a cold storage facility ready for the Pfizer/Moderna jabs.  It's been built by Zuellig Pharma.

https://www.nationthailand.com/perspective/40000344

Didn't see that in the article, but older news...

Thailand expanded its capacity with a new cold chain room last year. Its total cold chain capacity now spans 4,070 square metres. All rooms are equipped with primary and secondary temperature alarms for enhanced product safety.

https://www.zuelligpharma.com/news/news-zuellig-pharma-expands-cold-storage-warehouse-capacity-across-key-markets-in-asia-in-preparation-for-covid-19-vaccine

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 7:02 PM, ukrules said:

if it ever actually happens.

That's the big question, as Western companies might not be that generous with brown envelopes as the Chinese are usually are.

21 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Because they don't have the know how.  They have a company here granted  liscense to make  Astrazenica  and so far has not been able to produce the large quantities it was supposed to. Has pushed back by a month some shots  sold to Phillippines as they have not made enough for Thailand yet.  To be expected as they have never made this before.

I was being sarcastic. 

I'm not sure going with the JJ vaccine is really a good idea.  The hard sell with the both vaccines is going to be the rare instances of blood clots. Just in case there is widespread rejection, you don't want to be replacing it with another that has the self same problem and is less effective anyway.

39 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I'm not sure going with the JJ vaccine is really a good idea.  The hard sell with the both vaccines is going to be the rare instances of blood clots. Just in case there is widespread rejection, you don't want to be replacing it with another that has the self same problem and is less effective anyway.

J&J isn't as good as Pfizer or Moderna, but it's advantage is only one jab!  A big deal for many here who don't have transportation, have to work, etc.  It's about as effective as AZ and probably better than the Chinese ones.

22 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

J&J isn't as good as Pfizer or Moderna, but it's advantage is only one jab!  A big deal for many here who don't have transportation, have to work, etc.  It's about as effective as AZ and probably better than the Chinese ones.

It is billed as one jab yes. It's not nearly as effective as AZ for instance- the efficacy rate for AZ, Pfizer, Moderna was based on symptomatic infection, whereas JJ was based on moderate severity. 

What I mean is that a major problem with AZ is public disquiet about blood clotting- that's the problem with JJ too.   (Maybe it's being resolved as we speak.  I can imagine there's quite a bit of rejigging in both camps.)

• Like 1