Thailand to buy 25 million doses of Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer vaccines in June

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

As the first plan was tagged at THB 300 billion I can only fathom on what the extra expense will be for this publicity stint. 

What a godforsaken mess, and all is to be paid for by Khon Thai's tax money. The latter has seen a massive shrinking of business = no profits = no taxes. Carrying forward those losses for the next five years = good luck to Khon Thai! 

Who pays for it in other countries? The tax payers

• Confused 1

Australia which already had FDA(TGA) approval for Pfizer, ordered another 20 million doses in April 2021 due to AZ being problematic for under 60's.

The anticipated lead time for first delivery after signing the contract was six months (October) with delivery over a duration of three months.

Based on this timeline I have a low expectation of any Pfizer deliveries to Thailand this year.

29 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

I read recently in the South China Morning Post that Hong Kong may have to dispose of millions of doses of Pfizer vaccines which have not been taken up by the locals and expire in August. 

There was some talk of them being donated to other countries. 

I imagine though that logistics could be a problem transporting Pfizer. 

Also coronavac.

And, no, pfizer isn't that difficult to transport anymore.    Temperature storage requirement have been greatly relaxed.

1 hour ago, tigerfeet said:

Last year AZ gave them the copyright to produce their vaccine in Bangkok but he ho still awaiting that one.

I was being sarcastic. 

38 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Who pays for it in other countries? The tax payers

Nope, some countries it remains the responsibility of health insurances (which at the end is the same wallet) and the THB 300 billion was for all that Astra-Zeneca deal they had cut on an exclusive, locally licensed production. Quite obviously the local license limps behind schedule which triggered off the discussion. A Royal side order was placed for something like 2 million vaccinations which was a wet sponge into the government's face, Prayut down to Anutin. 
Now, relatively late in the season, they come up with an extra 25 million vaccinations. 

Clearly a "slightly" deteriorate strategy by the goons in the government house ..... and a proof of their professionalism in handling such rather simple affairs of logistics - me thinks! 

Same story but look carefully from the BK Post:

Negotiations are underway to buy 25 million doses of vaccine from Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson to meet the target of administering 100 million shots by the end of the year, according to the government's disease control chief.

Not close to a done deal. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Why don’t they team up with a company and produce it locally? It would be more efficient, and cheaper. Even a government full of halfwits could sort that out. Oh wait……

Because they don't have the know how.  They have a company here granted  liscense to make  Astrazenica  and so far has not been able to produce the large quantities it was supposed to. Has pushed back by a month some shots  sold to Phillippines as they have not made enough for Thailand yet.  To be expected as they have never made this before.

13 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

well where I live you can't even get Moderna or JJ you have no option which one to choose if you under 50 you can have Phizer over 50 only AZ and I live in the west

Strange, my 78 yr old brother got two doses of the Pfizer vaccine. He lives in San Diego.

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Will it come with nurses to inject the vaccine as an added extra since Thailand has hit a wall with limited folks who are trained.

Recruitment is very active among Ex- bar-girls... They already have the know-how.????????

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

Rather vague? If you're referring to health threatening reactions to the vaccine, is there any vaccine this isn't true for? And the reason vaccines used to take so long to approve is because they couldn't be tailored and customized to defend against a particular virus. 

Yes, that's my point really- all vaccines have problems.  They see off a good few per million sadly.

But what is missing in the safety aspect is the actual passing of time.  You simply can not substitute for this. There are no real world longitudinal studies for obvious reasons.  Now after 6 months we are beginning to see that one vaccine is associated with blood clots, while it appears another with cardiac issues. And 5 years?

17 minutes ago, LNKDES1 said:

Strange, my 78 yr old brother got two doses of the Pfizer vaccine. He lives in San Diego.

The COVID-19 vaccines

National Cabinet has agreed that, in line with the advice of the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) the Pfizer vaccine will be prioritised for people under 50 years of age across all phases. The AstraZeneca vaccine will be prioritised for people aged 50 years and over. More information is available on ATAGI’s advice to Government on priority population groups for COVID-19 vaccination.

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

J&J is one-shot, Pfizer two.

Assume a 50-50 split in the order - who knows really - then that's 18.75 MM fully vaccinated people, rounding down to 15 MM (spoilage), that's ~ 30% of the stated goal (by the regime, for herd-iness) of 50 MM people fully vaccinated.

Children 12 and under might not be in the vaccine pool, so that 70 MM figue needs to be reduced.

Will any of this happen? Of course not.

Yes but they have 50 million AZ being produced, and a few million more Sinovac on order.  

You know this surely. 

17 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Yes, that's my point really- all vaccines have problems.  They see off a good few per million sadly.

But what is missing in the safety aspect is the actual passing of time.  You simply can not substitute for this. There are no real world longitudinal studies for obvious reasons.  Now after 6 months we are beginning to see that one vaccine is associated with blood clots, while it appears another with cardiac issues. And 5 years?

From the time the vaccine was inoculated until the problems appeared, now long did it take. How many problems from prevous vaccines took years to appear. The thing is, because of the emergency authorization we have a huge database much sooner than would have been the case in the past. It's very dubious that problems from the vaccines will take a long time to appear after vaccinations. But what we do know is that long term covid is killing people and is not accounted for entirely in the mortality statistics.

8 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

I am surprised to hear this as I have several friends in Finland who are all in their late 60's or early 70's who have all had phizer

Similarly, I have 2 friends in the UK who are in their early 70's and they have both had the Pfizer vaccine (with no side effects) Their daughter (in her 30's/40's I would think) had the Oxford AstraZeneca and was in bed for a day with flu like symptoms.

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

Because they don't have the know how.  They have a company here granted  liscense to make  Astrazenica  and so far has not been able to produce the large quantities it was supposed to. Has pushed back by a month some shots  sold to Phillippines as they have not made enough for Thailand yet.  To be expected as they have never made this before.

Astra-Zeneca had similar failure to deliver promised vaccines. As did Johnson & Johnson

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Will it come with nurses to inject the vaccine as an added extra since Thailand has hit a wall with limited folks who are trained.

It the easiest injection you can get. Training maybe one hour and you can start mass. Kids could even do this. There is close to zero mistake possible. So so easy. They not have to come with this b*lsh*t now. If they use this argument it 1000% sure they not have the promised amount of vaccines. But yeah that dream from few weeks they not want destroy. And let Thai dream more

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon1 said:

Im guessing Canada?

No, as I mentioned in another post I am in Australia

The COVID-19 vaccines

National Cabinet has agreed that, in line with the advice of the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) the Pfizer vaccine will be prioritised for people under 50 years of age across all phases. The AstraZeneca vaccine will be prioritised for people aged 50 years and over. More information is available on ATAGI’s advice to Government on priority population groups for COVID-19 vaccination.

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

From the time the vaccine was inoculated until the problems appeared, now long did it take. How many problems from prevous vaccines took years to appear. The thing is, because of the emergency authorization we have a huge database much sooner than would have been the case in the past. It's very dubious that problems from the vaccines will take a long time to appear after vaccinations. But what we do know is that long term covid is killing people and is not accounted for entirely in the mortality statistics.

Well we're straying in to a more general argument here and I'm not an anti-vaxxer.  

My original point is simply that aggregated out I believe that the covid vaccines will prove to be as safe/dangerous as each other depending on how high the bar is set.

21 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Why don’t they team up with a company and produce it locally? It would be more efficient, and cheaper. Even a government full of halfwits could sort that out. Oh wait……

Don't forget who owns AZ rights and who owns 15% of sinovac

6 hours ago, placeholder said:

I was wondering about that, too. It turns out that some countries that used Sinopharm are recommending a third booster dose after 6 months. Chinese officials said that both Sinopharm and Sinovac require a booster after 6 months. So maybe that's what a "3rd dose" refers to?

The booster question is very messy. Bahrain is urging certain people (over 50, or obese, or chronically ill) who were jabbed with Sinopharm to have a jab of Pfizer 6 months later according to a WSJ report. 

Edited by placnx
WSJ detail added

6 hours ago, phetphet said:

I did read somewhere that this vaccine is not so effective against the Indian or Delta mutation.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/world/pfizer-vaccine-produces-less-antibodies-against-delta-variant-of-coronavirus-lancet-study-263317

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01290-3/fulltext

The implication is that some people should get a booster and that the vaccine should be revised to better respond to the variants.

NHS is accelerating the second dose in areas with a lot of infection by the Indian variant.

Edited by placnx
add about change in NHS strategy

23 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

C'mon. How hard can it be?!? These are intramuscular injections. It ain't rocket science. We practiced on oranges!

The  whole debate and self assumed opinion on this site has become extremely boring !

For  almost every  adamant  declaration of comprehension , explanation, dissertation of  non fact,

graphs, statistics analysis of according to close minded  bias or  rabid acceptance of devious clandestine  conspiracy, or whatever the  fuct  nobody is being honestly informed about in real terms I have become convinced it is an open display of generalized ignorance !

Bold  claims before a fact is worth  nothing  against outcome in  fact.

So far the global outcome in response to the situation has  revealed very isolated claimed success .

Maybe that is the test of the naive comprehension of the vulnerability the so called upper echelons of "civilized" humanity has duped the entireity into conforming to?

History has provided examples of  pandemics that have had devastating impact and which have arisen  from natural sources.

The consuming debate  now is  about  any attributable "blame"  for covid-19.

While society  is  now  being  distracted  by that question  what would happen if  an unrelated  pathogen  arose  from the many unknown  ancient  forms  being vomited out of  ancient melting glaciers ? Are we to assume that our  geneology has an inherent  memory  contained in our  immune systems that  can remember such pathogens and thwart them with dismissal?

Can  we  ignore the  very fact that the  human species  has  and is  devestating the  natural environment and  polluting it , weakening resilience of the entire ecosystem in the process to our  own detriment and thereby providing  opportunity  for abbherent  pathogens to evolve as a result  even before we start to  create clandestine and deliberate attempts  in distorted justifications of scientific advance or , as humans have a long history of doing so, weaponizing ?

The most evident  plague of  humanity is humans.

Can anyone provide me of a source of research as to whether or not cockroaches are capable of  laughter?

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

J&J is one-shot, Pfizer two.

Assume a 50-50 split in the order - who knows really - then that's 18.75 MM fully vaccinated people, rounding down to 15 MM (spoilage), that's ~ 30% of the stated goal (by the regime, for herd-iness) of 50 MM people fully vaccinated.

Children 12 and under might not be in the vaccine pool, so that 70 MM figue needs to be reduced.

Will any of this happen? Of course not.

Oh Jeez, I forgot about J and J.  It's certainly not widely approved - that is the problem.  It is A one shot shot.