Thailand reports 2,817 new COVID-19 cases, 36 new deaths

webfact

The Loei provincial administration has decided to postpone vaccination appointments until further notice, as the province is allocated only 600 doses of COVID-19 vaccine per week. https://thaip.bs/LPHMyiQ

Already posted in the main news section.

Edited by anchadian
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So if numbers stay constant like this (both cases and deaths) can we expect that the illogical partial "lockdown" will remain in force?  Public transport, shopping malls and stores, restaurants and workplaces remain open, while schools, parks, gyms, pools and bars have to stay shut.  What if numbers stay steady like this for the next 6 months, or year?

If the numbers stay constant then opening up is crazy. It means that the partial lockdown is working in slowing the spread down. Its quite likely that this will go on for the next 6 months.. What did you expect ?. Only when enough vaccines are used will things change.

• Thanks 1

OPINION: LOSING FAITH IN THAI GOVT’S TIMELY INOCULATION ABILITIES

When people lose trust in the state’s abilities to ensure citizen’s safety and good health, they go their own way to seek alternatives. The failed handling of the third wave of COVID-19 outbreak and the limited, delayed inoculation program have sprung alternative solutions.

Although the inoculation will start in earnest on Monday, some local administrators say the quota allocated to them is arriving too little, too slowly. Only 3.58 percent of the population have been vaccinated with the first jab as of yesterday (June 4) and only 1.59 percent inoculated with two jabs.

Chulalongkorn University biologist Jessada Denduangboripant, a well-known social media figure, named and shamed the Thai government and made news on Friday, when he said among the 10-member ASEAN nations, Thailand is only ahead of Myanmar in terms of the ratio of vaccinated populations. The target set by the Thai government is 100 million doses by the end of the year and 10 million doses by the end of the month.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/2021/06/05/opinion-losing-faith-in-thai-govts-timely-inoculation-abilities/

As of Saturday, 1,195 (+13) patients are in critical condition, with 376 (+15) of them relying on ventilator. About 2.0 percent of the population is fully vaccinated, with 2,818,676 (+90,917) people received the first dose, while 1,324,268 (+90,438) received the second dose.

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1401048606014992389

• Thanks 1

#COVID19 update in #Thailand on Saturday:

Since 1 April 2021 145,933 people infected (+56 imported cases & +2,761 local cases)

1,119 dead +36

49,490 in care

1,195 in ICU &

361 on ventilators

3,396 discharged from care

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1401048953240449025

• Thanks 1

Out of the 2,446 local cases (outside of prisons), most in:

Bangkok - 925

Pathum Thani - 411

Samut Sakhon - 293

Samut Prakan - 143

Phetchaburi - 130

Nonthaburi - 78

Trang - 52

Ayutthaya - 49

Chonburi - 40

Songkhla - 38

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1401052484144009219

• Thanks 1

Of the 2,817 new cases that were found in the past 24 hours:

- 1,295 were found at medical facilities

- 1,151 via pro-active tests at known clusters

- 315 via pro-active tests at 13 prisons

- 56 imported cases

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1401052296499253249

Of the 58 active clusters in Bangkok, 18 were found in worker camps, 15 around markets & shopping centres, 11 in crowded communities & residential areas, 11 at businesses & factories, two at care homes and one at an embassy.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1401057605770891269

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Of the 58 active clusters in Bangkok, 18 were found in worker camps, 15 around markets & shopping centres, 11 in crowded communities & residential areas, 11 at businesses & factories, two at care homes and one at an embassy.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1401057605770891269

Any idea how many positives constitute a cluster here in Thailand?In OZ it seems to be about 2-3 before they call it a cluster.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

The Loei provincial administration has decided to postpone vaccination appointments until further notice, as the province is allocated only 600 doses of COVID-19 vaccine per week. https://thaip.bs/LPHMyiQ

Already posted in the main news section.

The list of cancelations grows as we have suspected....sad

4 minutes ago, phills2k1 said:

It’s scary how many people likely think that because the (announced) numbers are constant, things can open up more, while completely ignoring the fact that as soon as that happens, things turn dire and never come back 

Reported numbers would probably still hover around 2000-3000 unless they increased number of people tested. PUI numbers per day have been pretty constant between 10000-140000 for days now. Thailand's idea of mass testing is , as I read on another news forum who cannot be linked, to set up a testing station for 3 days with capability of max 500 per day.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:
The Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has warned people to be on their guard against a possibly wider spread of COVID-19 in Bangkok, following active case findings in the Ratchaprasong and Pratunam areas.

CCSA assistant spokeswoman Apisamai Srirangsan said, of the 734 people who took COVID-19 tests on May 29 at the testing site in Siam Square, 54 were found to be infected with the virus, which is considered high. The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has, therefore, stepped up the monitoring of communities in areas where several shopping malls are located.

She said other areas of concern include the Saphan Hua Chang community, in Ratchathewi district, where commercial buildings have been converted into rented rooms, occupied mainly by migrant workers, and the busy residential and commercial area in Bang Kapi district.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says "SIN ณ์ on A NBT โิด-1 WORLD cistratio Apisamai Srirangsan CCSA assistant spokeswoman Authorities Warn People to be on Alert for Furthe Spread of COVID- in Bangkok"

That works out about 8% positivity rate for the Siam Square Area. Very high indeed. Much more testing needed this is now saturated in the community, stay safe all you Bangkokians!

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

Shopping malls in Pathumwan area found to have 144 cases so far. Most are in the group of Siam Discovery, Siam Center and Siam Paragon (129). Also 11 in Siam Square and 4 in Siamkit building. Meanwhile, public parks in Bangkok remain closed despite having no cases linked to them.

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1401075109406724103

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Shopping malls in Pathumwan area found to have 144 cases so far. Most are in the group of Siam Discovery, Siam Center and Siam Paragon (129). Also 11 in Siam Square and 4 in Siamkit building. Meanwhile, public parks in Bangkok remain closed despite having no cases linked to them.

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1401075109406724103

So have they checked the BTS Hub of Siam as this is a very large transition area for folks as well and has many smaller shops people stand in line at to buy drinks, foods, and other goods.  Stay safe folks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I am sure the positivity rate is quite large.  If they tested the further out Areas in Bangkok we might just see how far the spread ahs gone and it is a frightening aspect in light of them wanting to open up the Sandbox and then locations canceling vaccinations as the vaccines have been dedicated to other areas which are still unable to get folks vaccinated as they are understaffed.

Said many times before, it has to be nationwide if testing was undertaken correctly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

If the numbers stay constant then opening up is crazy. It means that the partial lockdown is working in slowing the spread down. Its quite likely that this will go on for the next 6 months.. What did you expect ?. Only when enough vaccines are used will things change.

You could be right.  But I seriously doubt even Thailand would continue locking down schools for the next 6 months. Personally, I think the numbers are amazingly low for a country the size of Thailand and that far more damage would be done by extending the lockdown, but I realise I'm in a minority here.   (Big C was packed today!)

17 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

That works out about 8% positivity rate for the Siam Square Area. Very high indeed. Much more testing needed this is now saturated in the community, stay safe all you Bangkokians!

"Saturated"? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sungod said:

Yet still hanging in there at 159th for total cases per 1m of the population.

Keep in mind that a lot of the countries showing better numbers than thailand are actually very poor nations will little to no public health reporting infrastructure.

27 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thanks for your concern!  I wear my mask, and where I work (at Centralworld) my temperature is checked every time I enter the building and we have hand sanitiser in the lifts.  Hopefully no need to concern yourself unduly.  We Bangkokians are made of sterner stuff!

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Thanks for your concern!  I wear my mask, and where I work (at Centralworld) my temperature is checked every time I enter the building and we have hand sanitiser in the lifts.  Hopefully no need to concern yourself unduly.  We Bangkokians are made of sterner stuff!

Glad to hear it, those who continue dying daily in Bangkok were not as fortunate

• Like 2