Thaivisa Forum Goes WAP

george

You can now access Thaivisa.com Forum on your WAP enabled mobile phone or PDA - just point your mobile phone to:

http ://www.thaivisa.com/forum/wap/

or after July, 1:

http://wap.thaivisa.com/

Note: These URLs is only accessible through WAP browsers

Access Thaivisa.com forum while on the move! Why not catch up with the news or see whats going on around town while you're on your way to work, in the TukTuk on the bus, on the Skytrain or getting your hair cut or some other quirky situation where you've just GOT TO SIT THERE!

How To Access The Site via mobile phone

This really depends on what phone you have. Below are the basic steps you need to take, based on the Nokia WAP browser in Nokia phones. If you are having difficulty then you should consult the instruction manual that came with your phone, it should help you set up a link to a WAP site, there are millions of great WAP sites out there (you only need to look at the manual once!):

Default Page

Generally your phone will be set up to goto a default page when you access your WAP services. This is generally the home page of your service provider (e.g. AIS, DTAC). You can browse this site but there will be no link to other WAP sites like Thaivisa.com - you need to add a 'Bookmark' manually.

Add a bookmark

In your options menu there should be an option to 'Add a bookmark' or 'Link to a site' or 'Add a favorite' or something similar. Clicking on this should prompt you for a URL. A URL is what is used to locate a website or wapsite on the Internet. When prompted, enter the following URL:

http: //wap.thaivisa.com/

You should then be asked to name this link - call it 'Thaivisa.com' or whatever you want to remember it by.

Goto the WAP site

The last step is to go to the WAP site. Again in your options menu there should be an option to goto a site listed in your bookmarks or favorites. Select 'Thaivisa.com' from the list and you will then be transported to the Thaivisa.com WAP site.

From now on you only need to goto the bookmark - you can even set 'Thaivisa.com' as your default page. Go on...you know you want to :-)

FAQs:

What is WAP?

WAP stands for 'Wireless Application Protocol', which is a standard for accessing the internet with wireless devices, e.g. mobile phones.

How do I know my mobile phone is WAP enabled?

If you got a mobile phone in the last year or two, it is very likely that it can be used for WAP services. If you are unsure whether your phone is capable of receiving WAP services you will need to ask your service provider about it.

My mobile phone is WAP enabled but I can't access any WAP services?

AIS, One-2-Call, DTAC and dPrompt provides WAP without any extra subscription. Other mobile phone networks charge an additional fee for providing access to WAP services. If you are unsure whether your service provider has enabled WAP services on your phone, you'll need to ask your service provider about it.

Edited by george

I tried it and it looks good. A couple of questions, though. I didn't see a link for personal messages in there. Is this feature going to be available in the future, or did I miss the link somewhere in there? Also, it appears that when logged in on wap, your nick doesn't appear on the active users list. Is that going to be changed? Also, will this be available for the Bear Pit as well?

Cheers,

mandl

Doesn't work for me... I do use WAP pretty much daily, especially the excellent BBC World wap site for news and sports.

Then sometimes Google's wap gateway and occaisionally other services, like a particular one about Formula 1..

But 'wap.thaivisa.com' gives me an error. 'Invalid reply' or some such.. Will give it another try later.

Cheers,

Chanchao

But 'wap.thaivisa.com' gives me an error.  'Invalid reply' or some such..  Will give it another try later.

Try http ://www.thaivisa.com/forum/wap/

instead. The subdomain wap is new, and might not be propagated yet to your ISP.

I tried it and it looks good. A couple of questions, though. I didn't see a link for personal messages in there. Is this feature going to be available in the future, or did I miss the link somewhere in there? Also, it appears that when logged in on wap, your nick doesn't appear on the active users list. Is that going to be changed? Also, will this be available for the Bear Pit as well?

Cheers,

mandl

1. Yes, PM will be working later.

2. Will have a look why wappers doesn't show up on the users list

3. Yes, it will work on the Bearpit later this afternoon.

I do use WAP pretty much daily, especially the excellent BBC World wap site for news and sports.

Mun gan krab.

If your using a Symbian phone, try getting hold of Opera and then browsing to the plain text version of the BBC website. Absolutely spot on...

Haven't tried the forum yet using WAP. Will do at the airport later.

This is going to be a wonderful feature for all those dopy farangs who don't have a life and don't want one.

I can picture it already.

He's riding down the soggy soi on his motor bike with his unstrapped bicycle helmet purched on his head,

one hand is on the handle bars but also bgripping the umbrella which is up to shield him from the rain. Naturally, it's poised at just the right angle to prevent rain drops and vision of the next car to impede his eyesight;

In his other hand is his new phone toy allowing him to respond to the thread titled "what is the most stupid thing done by a farang this week" and as he types in a derogatory remark about a bar girl, the last thing that flashes through his brain is a pick up truck. :o

Ho hum.

This is going to be a wonderful feature for all those dopy farangs who don't have a life and don't want one.

I can picture it already.

He's riding down the soggy soi on his motor bike with his unstrapped bicycle helmet purched on his head,

one hand is on the handle bars but also bgripping the umbrella which is up to shield him from the rain. Naturally, it's poised at just the right angle to prevent rain drops and vision of the next car to impede his eyesight;

In his other hand is his new phone toy allowing him to respond to the thread titled "what is the most stupid thing done by a farang this week" and as he types in a derogatory remark about a bar girl, the last thing that flashes through his brain is a pick up truck. :o

Ho hum.

Hi Emuu,

Correct, this is the exact target group. :D

Another target group is people travelling or a long way from (decent) internet access.

Third target group is us nerds.

I still can't get in... I've since also tried it on a different phone, but same result. Both phones are on DTAC and both can access other wap sites fine.

I tried both wap.thaivisa.com as well as www.thaivisa.com/wap

Phones I used are a Nokia 3650 (Symbian) and a Sony Ericsson T630 (similar to T610).

I have also tried it on a web based WAP simulator, and it did work there.

Cheers,

Chanchao

i used it yesterday on the bus, on my way to broncos night out.

WARNING FOR GEORGE

when i put in the address it logged me straight in under the name george, it then gave me options to look at admin only stuff.

Since then its been ok and i'm logged in as myself.

just thought you should know.