Remember when.......

5 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Mick McManus always the bad guy, total  BS wrestling World of  Sport/Grandstand

I used to hate saturday afternoons because there was always sport on all 3 channels. If the weather was nice I would jump onto any bus with my mate and go exploring because we didn't have to pay any fares.

• Like 2

The only way to get a bike was to go to the tip, and salvage parts to make one, tinned mandarin oranges on a Sunday, us three kids would count them to be sure we all had the same amount, poor mum having to make sure, sometimes a block of ice cream, wrapped in newspaper from the van, bonfire night in the garden when we had jacket spuds cooked in the fire no aluminum foil ever seen. Rabbit stew with dumplings. cycling home when the cop on the corner by the phone box, where he always was, shouted at me (no money for battery's) "where's yer lights'' Dad told me ''next time son shout back NEXT TO MY LIVER!'' LOL.???? On shrove Tuesday thin pancakes (not <deleted> crapes) and the only topping was always jiffy lemon juice sprinkled with sugar. Never saw garlic or chilis ever.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bobandyson said:

I got my mum to buy me a cravat. I must've seen someone like Roger Moore or Peter Wyngard wearing one and thought it looked cool. I honestly can't remember.

Didn't you watch the old cowboy movies in the fifties? Randolph Scott and Audie Murphy always wore them.

On 6/9/2021 at 8:07 AM, talahtnut said:

In my opinion we have had the best times, what will a child in these

days remember? No school, locked down, masks, questionable medications,

censored speech, gang warfare, I cant see them having any fun.

Kids having fun?

Unless fun is looking at a small screen all day, I doubt it.

I can remember when there was no tv, no internet, no social media, almost no crime, no pedophiles, and no kids killed themselves because they were being bullied "on line". Strange that despite kids going to school to learn stuff they don't seem to comprehend what the off button on a phone does.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Has anyone seen corned beef in Thailand? Always loved a corned beef sandwich with hot English mustard for lunch.

I have got a few cans of corned beef, get them delivered by Siamburi's of Pattaya. 149Bt per tin + delivery.

Villa Market always have them but they are at least double the price of Siamburi's.

29 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have got a few cans of corned beef, get them delivered by Siamburi's of Pattaya. 149Bt per tin + delivery.

Villa Market always have them but they are at least double the price of Siamburi's.

I remember when my Dad was able to get ex  army/navy/airforce surplus  tinned  food dirt  cheap, kept for donkey's  years, still had some hidden in his  cupboards when they moved  house in 1996 and they bought in the 70's

• Like 2

17 hours ago, lodstewart said:

just for kids in London, can't remember how much , but I think sixpence (in real money)

ours was the ABC cinema in Catford and we were known as the ABC minors  ha

It was all over the country, we had it in Newcastle, every Saturday morning. Used to collect badges at them and then when you got the set they used to get you on stage and give you your "name badge"

Edited by MRToMRT
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bobandyson said:

My home town has gone back to using trams.

First phone we had was a trim phone. Kids at school were able to imitate the ring tone which was bloody annoying. I wished I could do it.

Hearing the phone ring me, my sister and brother would rush to answer it. If it was a gf of mine I'd be on the phone for an hour or more just talking sweet nothings. If it was a call for my brother or sister I'd mime hand gestures to them that they'd better not talk for too long or they'll know what will happen to them.

I remember my uncles would never go anywhere without wearing a trilby, tie, jacket, dress shoes etc.

Ben Sherman shirts with a pleat down the back was like wearing an original polo shirt of today.

Brand new slip-on shoes that fit nicely at the shop but felt 2 sizes too small when at school. Couldn't complain to mum that they were crippling me or she would knock me into the middle of next week.

'Blancmange' was probably the only foreign sounding food we ate. Except maybe when we ate 'pomegranates' with a safety pin or needle. 

ha ha yup, all seems like yesterday, Ben Sherman shirts, I think they were the first button down collars in the UK.

and don't forget the tapioca milk puddings,

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Town I grew up in had 2 cinemas. One proper one and the town hall had movies on Saturdays for the kids. I wasn't allowed to go to the town hall, as my mum though it too rough. I'd hear the kids yelling and screaming at the movies from outside, and I'd think they must be enjoying themselves.

The proper cinema was 2 shillings upstairs and 1 down. At the interval ( they showed proper "short" movies, not ads before the main feature, plus the Movietone News reels, as no tv then ) a boy would come in with ice cream cones in a box for 9p. The cinema also had a "Nibble Nook" next door to stock up on sweets before going in. We also had to stand up for "God save the queen" before the movie, like they still do in Thailand.

On Sundays they had a double feature for the price of one, and often the cinema would be packed.

Happy days then.

yes we had great respect for our Royal Family in those days, all been lost now I am afraid, and a lot is their own doing,

I remember when King GeorgeV1 Died, and the very beautiful young Princess Elizabeth was  crowned, all the Street parties

was such a happy day , all over the UK

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

There was Mild Beer and there was Bitter Beer and you could mix the two or have a shandy.  Not a bottle of foreign lager anywhere and if you asked for a cocktail outside of London you would be laughed out of the pub. 

Brown & Mild yes , a lovely Pint I think it was about 1/10 just under 2 bob. often saw older women  drink stout

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lodstewart said:

yes we had great respect for our Royal Family in those days, all been lost now I am afraid, and a lot is their own doing,

I remember when King GeorgeV1 Died, and the very beautiful young Princess Elizabeth was  crowned, all the Street parties

was such a happy day , all over the UK

If she smiled occasionally it might help.

IMO the rot set in when Charles was forced to marry someone he didn't love, as he had to marry a virgin, or some such garbage. It's all been downhill since then.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bobandyson said:

I got my mum to buy me a cravat. I must've seen someone like Roger Moore or Peter Wyngard wearing one and thought it looked cool. I honestly can't remember.

David Niven perhaps?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Has anyone seen corned beef in Thailand? Always loved a corned beef sandwich with hot English mustard for lunch.

You can buy it on Lazada here, https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hamper-corned-beef-original-340g-i1988914882-s6378714687.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.2.3b6479361GnTHP&search=1  BUT it is 378 baht plus 29 baht delivery. Lazada also do Spam.

12 hours ago, bobandyson said:

In the forces we could wear either a tie or a cravat to dinner. I chose the cravat as I hate ties.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, lodstewart said:

Brown & Mild yes , a lovely Pint I think it was about 1/10 just under 2 bob. often saw older women  drink stout

Or mild and bitter, but as an apprentice and being almost always broke, the "favourite" drink was a pint of mild which was either one shilling or one shilling and sixpence (can't remember now) but it did the trick!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1