How are you guys liking the new plant based meals at 7/11?

Hal65

On 6/9/2021 at 8:57 PM, faraday said:

Anyone tried the BK Impossible Burger. I was tempted the other day, then common sense prevailed. ????????????

Pretty tasty with a good texture.  It doesn't really feel or taste like meat, though it does have a smoky flavor to it.  And it has a nice chew and mouth feel.  It's better than their old veggie burger.

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2021 at 8:32 PM, Artisi said:

I've been vegetarian for 30 + year and loath imitation "meat" - can't  really see the need or understand why you would want to eat it. 

Dear,

I tolerate your decision not to eat meat in any case.

But I would never come on the idea to let taste my salad like meat.

That are two different things and it has to taste different.

I tried to use that protein food as a replacement in my kitchen.

The only one where I can say it doesn't matter meat or vegi is if I make a Bolognese European/Thai Friendship.  Here the tomato, chilly, garlic, basil taste overlay everything

If I want to eat some with taste of meat, it must be meat.

I do also great salads in many different variations for myself and they taste as a good salad with all of the different vegi taste and the vinaigrette but as side food for my steak

I am very fortunate that  my Thai wife is an excellent and innovative cook not only of Thai meals but European as well.

If I want meals that don’t contain meat she will cook them, I certainly will not be buying them from 7/ 11.

On 6/9/2021 at 3:32 AM, Crossy said:

I can understand vegetarian and even vegan, but making plant based stuff look and taste (something) like meat?

I had some superb "pure-veg" meals in India, and I could actually cope with living on it.

One one hand we are being told not to consume "highly processed" food, I can't think of much that's more processed than plant matter made into "meat" (other than via an actual animal).

"Vegetables are not food, food eats vegetables" ???? 

Yes, just because it is easier on the environment doesn't automatically mean it's healthy. To me, I am part of the environment so I guess that means it's not good for the environment as far as that. 555

It is funny that people who are turned off by "factory processed" food are into plant-based highly processed food. 

Since you mentioned vegan I've got to say I saw a Thai restaurant advertised that's near downtown LA. It is described as kosher and vegan. Hmmm I guess no pork. On both accounts. 555

• Like 2

What gets me are the strident shrills on both sides of the veggie/meat debate.  Both the vegetarians/vegans who try to ram their food choice down everyone else's throats (literally and figuratively), and the meat eaters who take delight in trying to shock them.  Personally, I eat very little meat these days, but do tuck into a steak every now and then.  That is my choice, and mine alone.  I wouldn't try to tell others to eat the same, and I don't expect others to tell me what to eat myself.  Just get on with eating what you choose to and leave the rest of us alone. 

4 hours ago, ballpoint said:

What gets me are the strident shrills on both sides of the veggie/meat debate.  Both the vegetarians/vegans who try to ram their food choice down everyone else's throats (literally and figuratively), and the meat eaters who take delight in trying to shock them.  Personally, I eat very little meat these days, but do tuck into a steak every now and then.  That is my choice, and mine alone.  I wouldn't try to tell others to eat the same, and I don't expect others to tell me what to eat myself.  Just get on with eating what you choose to and leave the rest of us alone. 

Correct, after 30+ years, I just ignore the carinoures and get on with life, if asked why I'm vegetarian I'm happy to respond with "I think long term it's a far better diet" and leave it at that - they can agree or disagree - all the same to me, if anyone want to sensibly discuss it, I'm more than willing to state my views. 

• Like 2

The biggest thing with the vegetarian / carnivore debate is the amount of land and resources which are devoted to raising meat for human consumption.

We could easily feed the world population but for this fact.

"According to calculations of the United Nations Environment Programme, the calories that are lost by feeding cereals to animals, instead of using them directly as human food, could theoretically feed an extra 3.5 billion people"

https://www.globalagriculture.org/report-topics/meat-and-animal-feed.html