Support

Meat Pie 47

5 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

I would put that down to stronger family ties. Even if the person is a complete loser drug addict/drunk etc a Thais family will usually put him up. 

Whereas the English family would be more inclined to kick him out and let him fend for himself. 

I'm not so sure about that. I've spent half my life in Scotland and half in Thailand, and am an alcoholic, so I know many alcoholics. I've not heard of more here being kicked out than in Scotland.

One thing, Thais are more compassionate to alcoholics than in Scotland. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Neeranam said:

How would you explain all the people sleeping rough in the UK compared to hardly any in Thailand?

We do have one young lad in our town with food. Many of the homeless in the UK are drug or alcohol dependant.

There is help for them but they choose to stay on the streets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posts discussin other members and Moderation have been removed.

25) No public discussion is allowed with regard to other forum members, as well as to advertisements or sponsors, or methods of blocking advertisements.

I'm not sure why someone living outside Thailand would donate to a charity here, plenty of charities to give to anywhere they live.

I don't give to charities. I give random gifts ranging from 20 to 100 baht to people I know could use the money for food, and I let others "borrow" bigger amounts, 500 - 1000 baht, with no expectation of getting the money back. It's a small price to pay for being here.

Occasionally, I am pleasantly surprised when the "loan" comes back.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

We do have one young lad in our town with food. Many of the homeless in the UK are drug or alcohol dependant.

Well unfortunately, the help is difficult to access, & it  takes a long time to get treated.

It's the same for them trying to get accommodation.

They don't have money for a deposit, & council houses are difficult to get.

Many, many of the homeless & drug addicted didn't choose their plight, their life just spiraled out of control, & they have no one to assist them.

Without going in to too much detail, many addicts have suffered sexual &/or physical abuse in early life.

Using drugs for them, is a coping mechanism.

• Like 2

I live in Thailand and I only support family or people who I personally see - which might be a bagger on the street.

The reason is that unfortunately many organizations can't be trusted - even if they want to do good.

I remember long time ago with the tsunami many guys I know donated money so that essentials could be bought and transported to the emergency areas in the south. They had a whole truck full of things and drove south. And then?

Then the local mafia down south stopped them and made it clear that you can't just be the good guys and donate things to people in need. They demanded that the truck load of items will be given to them and then they, the local influential people, would distribute or sell them...

Sad, but true. And I am sure that happens not only in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2021 at 2:43 PM, ThaIrish Sean said:

I did a lot of work with the homeless in the. UK (and my brother still does as his full time job). 

There are a large percentage of homeless people who are not drug addicts or mental cases. These people stay more hidden or are not noticed as they appear more 'normal' if you were to see them pass you by in the street.  

280,000 homeless and more in the uk.  

Sadly the negative stigma attached to anyone who admits to being homeless means most of the general population has this mistaken prejudiced view about all the homeless being lazy, drug addicts, who want to be homeless....which is not true for many of them. 

• Like 2

On 6/13/2021 at 2:43 PM, ThaIrish Sean said:

Many are professional beggars in London and most of the real beggars are with mental health issues.