Hair cuts during covid spread

superal

I've only been to a barber shop once in my life, and that was to watch a friend get a cut.  My mother cut our hair.  I later let it grow for about 3 years.  Then for a couple years I cut it myself, with scissors.  Curly hair hides a lot of sins.  After I got married, I sent my wife to a good hairdressing school in BKK.  She can cook, clean, sew clothing and cut hair.  Though I don't trust her to cut the lawn. 

Disclaimer:  I prefer the cave man look. 

image.png.484108869286ec63dd0a0ecb7a733f23.png

13 hours ago, bobandyson said:

I see the greying of my hair as a testament to living as long as I have (62). Especially when I consider that a lot of poor buggers don't even make it to their 5th birthdays or to adolescence, or even making it as far as manhood or fatherhood.

I can only but think that I've been very fortunate with how my life turned out.

People look stupid when they have aged skin but show off jet black or brown hair. Who are they trying to fool? 

I would say that 90% of senior Thai guys dye their hair unashamedly , however jet black hair on a guy in his 70's looks a little strange  So it is the norm to colour hair in Thailand for ladies and men but not so much for farangs . Many years ago I returned home after a boozy golf event and was encouraged by my then wife plus sons and their wives to have my hair dyed ( wife bought the dye that day ) . So being in a relaxed mood I went along with it . I have had grey hair since my early 20 s . When I returned to the lounge from the bathroom I was greeted by many wows . The following day we were flying to Thailand . At the UK check in and Thai immigration my passport and then my live face were stared at by the officers followed by a broad grin . I thought I looked great and much younger but later when I saw holiday snaps I was embarrassed as I resembled Roy Orbison .  I later had a grade 2 haircut and was back to normal . 

I don't think there is anything wrong with vanity as long as it looks natural ( unlike most Thai guys dyed hair ) . Some guys also wear wigs , some of which do not look good and stand out as obviously a wig  but hair colouring if done by a professional can look good but is expensive to maintain . Many years ago I worked with a guy who put black boot polish on his head , looked like a grade 1  .

• Like 1

For a year or so in college back aboult 1976, I cut my own hair. It was curly and hid a lot of sins. Scissors only. Then I cut a buddies wife's hair and she liked it.  Cut a couple others.

My name is Richard ("Dick") but they started calling me Mr. Dickie.  Sigh. 

On 6/17/2021 at 12:54 AM, bobandyson said:

I see the greying of my hair as a testament to living as long as I have (62). Especially when I consider that a lot of poor buggers don't even make it to their 5th birthdays or to adolescence, or even making it as far as manhood or fatherhood.

I can only but think that I've been very fortunate with how my life turned out.

People look stupid when they have aged skin but show off jet black or brown hair. Who are they trying to fool? 

although we are similar age, there is a generation gap.

I don't think about death. My several friends committed suicide, but did not die of age or medical conditions.

I have started playing with dyeing when my girlfriend (almost half my age), bought some and forced it on me. 

I have tried natural brown, but it's hit and miss. Possibly at barbers they have experience to match good one, but that's some 500b a go.

I have also experimented with my wife's leftovers, including reddish one.

She did like it, neighbour females reacted positively.

I don't have wrinkles on my face. When on the sun I do wear straw hat.

Even at close, intimate range of 50cm from me, girls don't realise I have grey hair.

So suggestion - a day before planned hair cut do dye top layer of hair, to see, how your wife will like it. 

Ask her to make pictures from different angles, because in the mirror can't see well.

If bad impression -do cut the top layer. Costs nothing and can be treated as 30 minutes foreplay. 

Edited by internationalism

My wife has cut mine for the last 30 odd years,even does the eyebrows,ears and nose,*

just think of the money and time I have saved,        * why do the hairs there seem to grow

more the older you get. ????

regards Worgeordie

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

My wife has cut mine for the last 30 odd years,even does the eyebrows,ears and nose,*

just think of the money and time I have saved,        * why do the hairs there seem to grow

more the older you get. ????

regards Worgeordie

Yeah , I know what you mean cos one day after a wet shave and maybe some facial ear/ nose plucking I look in the mirror and see a 2 inch long hair protruding from my nose or ear , yet it was not there yesterday . BTW I bought one of those electric nose/ear hair cutters that make crackling noises when they cut hairs in your ear but they are not as good as plucking which makes my eyes water 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 3:41 PM, Caldera said:

I postponed my last hair cut due to the 3rd wave. But last week I finally gave up and went to my regular salon in Bangkok, where they were happy to see me and restored order to the jungle that had grown on my head. Glad I did!

Same here! I was starting to avoid looking in the mirror it was so bad. Then I happened past a salon I'd never seen before. The girl was too cute and I broke. If I go, I'll leave well groomed remains.

On 6/16/2021 at 4:12 PM, Crossy said:

Nooooo!

Madam used to give her mum a buzz cut (think 95 year old, female Marine) no way am I ever letting her near my bonce. I'll stick with the shaggy dog style ???? 

Me too. As my old mum used to say, "get your haircut. You look like a poet!" I'd rather that than look like a Brillo pad. My hair is about the last thing that has stayed with me.????

2 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Me too. As my old mum used to say, "get your haircut. You look like a poet!" I'd rather that than look like a Brillo pad. My hair is about the last thing that has stayed with me.????

My youngest son accused me of "preparing for a comb-over" during our weekly Skype call (he still maintains his RN "easy maintenance" cut).

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

My youngest son accused me of "preparing for a comb-over" during our weekly Skype call (he still maintains his RN "easy maintenance" cut).

Many don't have enough hair for a comb over.????

On 6/27/2021 at 7:48 AM, internationalism said:

although we are similar age, there is a generation gap.

I don't think about death. My several friends committed suicide, but did not die of age or medical conditions.

I have started playing with dyeing when my girlfriend (almost half my age), bought some and forced it on me. 

I have tried natural brown, but it's hit and miss. Possibly at barbers they have experience to match good one, but that's some 500b a go.

I have also experimented with my wife's leftovers, including reddish one.

She did like it, neighbour females reacted positively.

I don't have wrinkles on my face. When on the sun I do wear straw hat.

Even at close, intimate range of 50cm from me, girls don't realise I have grey hair.

So suggestion - a day before planned hair cut do dye top layer of hair, to see, how your wife will like it. 

Ask her to make pictures from different angles, because in the mirror can't see well.

If bad impression -do cut the top layer. Costs nothing and can be treated as 30 minutes foreplay. 

Bloody poser. With black and brown you must be going for the Halaqueen look.????

• Haha 1

On 6/16/2021 at 4:15 PM, Jingthing said:

I wait until I scare myself in the mirror and then go to a one lady shop. The chair is near an open door. She isn't the best. She isn't the cheapest. But it seems safe enough. 

Near to the the door, so you can run away?? 55555

3 hours ago, rott said:

OP if in Pattaya try Soi Hollywood (off Pattaya Tai, Soi 15 or 13 can't remember) get the lot ears, eyebrows, nose, pleasant friendly and efficient. 

And even little shoulder massage in the shop where I go..  

On 6/20/2021 at 6:19 AM, Damrongsak said:

For a year or so in college back aboult 1976, I cut my own hair. It was curly and hid a lot of sins. Scissors only. Then I cut a buddies wife's hair and she liked it.  Cut a couple others.

My name is Richard ("Dick") but they started calling me Mr. Dickie.  Sigh. 

You're not Billericay Dickie and doing very well are you? 

• Haha 1

On 6/16/2021 at 4:57 PM, Joinaman said:

had no problems getting my hair cut , 50 baht and ears, beard and eyelash done too

Seems some people are scared of their shadow here

There is a "scared of your own shadow" brigade here on Thaivisa. Many members, increasing all the time. ???? ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/16/2021 at 11:49 PM, RichardColeman said:

Number 2 all over, job done, gray gone

My very gay Charles Hawtry esque barber in Thailand is very gentle - guy I am using in Blackpool UK I swear seems to be trying to drill for oil ! 

I would never let any man cut my hair. ????‍♂️

Edited by possum1931

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

There is a "scared of your own shadow" brigade here on Thaivisa. Many members, increasing all the time. ???? ????

I'm due for my jab on Wednesday. My wife has just said that I shouldn't drink caffeine and alcohol before or after. Where does this nonsense come from? The way things are going, a dose of covid might be preferable. These rumours will be the death of me!????

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I'm due for my jab on Wednesday. My wife has just said that I shouldn't drink caffeine and alcohol before or after. Where does this nonsense come from? The way things are going, a dose of covid might be preferable. These rumours will be the death of me!????

Preferably drink alcohol after the shot BUT do definitely get a haircut prior to it. ???????? 

30 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Preferably drink alcohol after the shot BUT do definitely get a haircut prior to it. ???????? 

I'll go with the shot after the shot, but remember what happened to Samson when the Philistines cut his hair? It's the present Philistines who are responsible for the curbs on alcohol! Bloody Philistines! We need another Nebuchadnezzar!  ????

Edited by Gandtee
Additional words.
  • Haha 1

On 6/16/2021 at 10:16 PM, fusion58 said:

because I've yet to find a hairdresser in BKK who doesn't suck.

I have been looking for ages for one that does.

Edited by Susco
  • Haha 2

On 6/16/2021 at 4:05 PM, Crossy said:

Our local barber (in the mom and pop shop) is closed for the duration, the shop itself is operating in "ask at the door" mode.

I'm starting to look like a Dulux dog ????

I only have my hair cut a couple of times a year, not because I'm lazy or scruffy, I just can't be arsed. I'm fortunate that I could make wearing a bin liner look good though. I go to the barber and get a Bekham Pompadour, usually a day before we go on holiday so I can look awesome on the family snaps. It then grows out nicely over a period of a few months and I look Elvis awesome. Thereafter, it grows out even more and all I can do is slick it back and look like a slickback crook or slickback 50s.

In any case, I look fruking awesome every day, Covid be damned.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Gandtee said:

I'll go with the shot after the shot, but remember what happened to Samson when the Philistines cut his hair? It's the present Philistines who are responsible for the curbs on alcohol! Bloody Philistines! We need another Nebuchadnezzar!  ????

As long you don't get shot it'll be ok. ????

We have been back in Thailand 16 yrs now,but when we lived in the UK i always remember going to the barber ,where he trimed the little hair i had and charged 7 quid,when we left the wife took me straight to the shopping mall and baught a hair clippers for around 10 quid, never been to a barber since  just one new set of clippers about 3 yrs ago. Saved a load of cash????