Phuket Sandbox: All tourists to wear location tracking wristbands

webfact

4 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Attention! Attention! All tourists. Yes, all ten of you will report to to local police station within one hour to verify that bracelets are being worn. We will be rather cross with anyone found not wearing one and make them do ten push ups, or even squats, So there!????

No need to worry about not knowing what to do, loud speakers will be installed onto lampposts and instructions will beam out from 6am till midnight along with a bit of Beetles Lucy in the sky with diamonds, so you won't get homesick. 

• Haha 2

Seriously, though, why would anybody want to go to Phuket, or even Thailand right now...?

I said it before and I'll say it again, unless we have other reasons like business or girlfriends/family going to Thailand now is just utter insanity.

Everything's closed, no freedom, tracking devices, social distancing... behind with vaccinations, the list goes on

People are free to throw away their money any way they want, but yeah, that's all going there would be now, a colossal waste of time and money.

Cancellations? It's a miracle they got any takers to begin with. It's really true that there's one born every minute ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

All required testing should be at the expense of the desperate Thai govt. 

I think they might have a problem, the wrist bands they' ordered are to big for children and will fall off. 

Cable ties to the rescue. 

Source Only Joking. 

8 hours ago, bolt said:

you will need to agree to ALL measures before boarding, you CANNOT refuse

If by chance you get in without knowing about wrist bands and refusing to wear one you could always be sent to a readjustment camp. 

20 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

They really don't have a clue how Westerners think, or how this tracking bracelet will be received.

I can see people arriving in Thailand and blankly refusing to wear them.

We don't like authoritarianism and this action exemplifies it.

Gestapo tactics it's not going to attract any tourists. 

13 hours ago, Kleepanna said:

50% population vaccinated and they have the best vaccines in the world

Almost 50% of the population is vaccinated and they have the BEST vaccine medicine 

66% of the population have been vaccinated in Canada,  which is better than 50%

22 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

No tourists in the right mind would put themselves through this

For the most part, I think you're correct. IMO, there is a type of tourist who might well submit. It is the "cruise ship" variety. As long as food and drink are included or some incentive to make them imagine they are 'getting a deal', this "day care" variety of tourist, might just be interested. But, from what I've observed in this country, the instigators have a long way to go before such a thing is possible. It might be because, they don't have any real investment, as do the hardworking capitalists that support the tourist industry...by investing, owning and running the businesses that made this nation a "great" tourist destination.

22 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

You can take your meal in your room and buy alcohol at a mini-mart,

or has consumption of the "devils brew" been completely banned for the duration of ones stay in the sandbox?

You can do that at home... why fly around the world at huge expense to do the same?

• Like 1

I imagine the only people willing to put up with all this are not tourists. They are people who already have ties with Thailand (sorry....) and just need to get back into the country.  Quarantine on an island is marginally better than quarantine in  a hotel near Suvarnabhumi.  So they will grin and bear it. 

But regular tourists? For my wife and I, we would need to go through a total of 7 Covid tests to vacation in Thailand, plus the island quarantine, etc. The tests alone would add something line 50,000 baht to our costs!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

I think they might have a problem, the wrist bands they' ordered are to big for children and will fall off. 

Cable ties to the rescue. 

Source Only Joking. 

Since only 500 or so tourists will show up for this plan, they will need to find a secondary market for the wristbands. Ebay panic page? 

10 hours ago, Steve80 said:

5. International arrivals must download the MorChana app (english version), insert the CoE number and agree to 'share location'. Each hotel will have a SHA manager who will inform the relevant authorities if you switch off the share location permission

Does anyone know, if the MorChana app is storing locations, if you have no connectivity?

... thinking about the „airplane mode“ or „your battery is low“ ????

By the way: 

I really hope, those ATTA guys only know, how to „len Fate book“ or Instagram and have no bloody idea about IT.

I assumed, they would at least try to keep your data confidential and only use it, when the need for contact tracing is arising...

So:

HOW can a so-called „SHA manager“ in a hotel

(who is essentially an employee, not hiding fast enough, when they were looking for volunteers)

find out, that you switched off the share location permission 

.. and then inform the „relevant“ authorities ???

Edited by BernieOnTour
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

So:

HOW can a so-called „SHA manager“ in a hotel

(who is essentially an employee, not hiding fast enough, when they were looking for volunteers)

find out, that you switched off the share location permission 

.. and then inform the „relevant“ authorities ???

they won't care, it was same for ASQ as long as you waive your phone thats enough

or even show a screen shot with the QR code,

During my previous visit to LOS  I activated the tracking application linked to your COE

So I can show them that and they wont know

COE thai Plus app Sample.jpeg

Edited by bolt
  • Like 1

This is a very poorly planned idea.  Few tourists are going to come to Phuket knowing that they are going to be GPS monitored (and who knows what else) during their stay on Phuket during the 14 day quarantine.  Tourists will cancel their plans and seek another holiday destination that is less restrictive.

• Like 1