Phuket Sandbox: All tourists to wear location tracking wristbands

webfact

On 6/17/2021 at 3:38 AM, WineOh said:

That's it!

The final nail in the coffin for the Phuket Sandpit.

They will be lucky if they reach double figures when they open with draconian measures such as these.

A deal breaker for sure. 

• Haha 1

As soon as this is confirmed by a reliable news source it is time to start thinking about this. Until that happens, and it seems very unlikely to me, this is just clickbait not worth any discussion.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2021 at 7:43 AM, Greenwich Boy said:

We have no idea what will be open or not in Phuket but let's assume options are limited. For me the thought of possibly being herded from one 'authorised' eating place to another with maybe Farang prices and cash strapped locals hovering like vultures has all the appeal of a state run Chinese bus tour. I hope I am wrong as the locals need the tourists back but, as it stands, not for me.

IMHO - you are wrong.

If you have no idea as to what will be open in Phuket, why not ask simply those who are in Phuket right now, as opposed to making assumptions, that based upon I can read in your post, is your assumptions are wrong?

I can't fathom such wrong speculation.

I am retired and live in Phuket - I am happy the way Phuket is now, with many great restaurants still open (although many restaurants are also closed - although this type of partial restaurant closure is also typical for low seasons). Restaurants can now serve alcohol in Phuket.  Prices are very inexpensive at present, although I do fear there could be an increase in July ... but maybe not. We will see.  

Bars are closed - so if you must go to bars, well .... then skip Phuket.  I live in Phuket, and frankly, I can't remember last time I visited a bar.

Phuket now, today, is the best for me, as a retiree, that its  been in years. Quiet beaches. Not as much crazy traffic as in the past. No massive crowds of aggressive pushy tourists.   And still good restaurants to go to.  Boat tours prices are a bargain.  In fact, many things are a bargain.  

But I guess this will change, when concerns like yours are finally rejected, and people do come to see for themselves how great the place is. 

The upside, I guess, when the tourists come back, is the locals (and expats) who depend on tourism will be much better off.  

From that perspective, the perspective of the locals being better off, I don't mind as much that the current fabulous/incredible days for retirees like myself are to fade away.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 4:14 PM, Penefattore said:

Can't' wait to go to Pukhet jail island and wear my prison wristband.

What did you plan on doing wrong , so to have to go to jail? 

The jails in Thailand are crowded and lots of COVID case at present, I would recommend thinking twice about your being in a hurry here to go to jail.

As for the island of Phuket - its the best its been in years. Very far from being a jail.  

In all due honesty, as a retired expatriate, if it were not for the locals (and expats) who depend on tourists, I would hope it stays the same.   I would hope tourists do stay away.   Its very nice at present.  But the locals and some expats need the tourists.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1