Phuket Sandbox: All tourists to wear location tracking wristbands

webfact

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

so just now ONLY foreign tourists allowed. 

no one from Thailand can enter. 

of course this had to be. so i am not allowed to go. or thai tourists. 

Do you know what the colors of different texts mean? I am an American but currently living in China. China is in the medium risk column, but the text is red..

9 hours ago, Excel said:

Well that should bring a smile to some faces. No doubt the vibrating alarm is operated remotely

The second you cross the county line.

Edited by aboctok

9 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

They'll be made in China so won't work for 14 days anyhow ????

bet you they are not even waterproof .. Ist dip in the hotel pool and the person get registered as AWOL.. cant you just see it ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, 1duckyboy said:

The next pronouncement may be that foreign tourists will have to continue to wear the tracking devices for their entire length of stay anywhere Thailand. I think this is the end goal of the Thai government. 

But come on. Let's face it... they can't make any system work. Look at the data breaches, and the TM30 and TM47 c*ck ups! And even if they could make it work, the staff would be either asleep or playing Cookie run instead of following those dirty farang.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

They don't know Orwell existed.

Western world??? What is that?

Oh they know all right. Orwells other masterpiece "1984" is banned here, and activists were arrested in BKK for defiantly reading it in public just a few years ago. 

They also think Nazis are kind of cool, they have a Stuka dive bomber hung from the rafters of Don Muang Airport, the one aircraft above all others famed for strafing civilians. And they do share that love of civil servant uniforms and the cops wear those peaked caps in identical SS style.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Mai mee said:

Before getting TOO twisted up about this story, I would make the observation that this Thai Visa News story is so far uncorroborated, with NO other news sources in Thailand reporting it as far as i can tell after doing my best internet searching... Not the Bangkok Post, not the Phuket News, not Thaiger, and not anybody else that I can find.

The news story notably cites ONLY unnamed "government officials". I think that's a little bit "thin" for a news story this incendiary.

A call to a friend who is a respected long time journalist for a significant Thai newspaper who stays pretty much up to the minute on these matters reveals that he has heard nothing about this from other journalists, government sources, or in editorial meetings.

Maybe Thai Visa News has scooped every other news group in Thailand.... maybe... But I'm going to wait until I see something a little more substantial before I get too worked up about it. If anybody reading has found any confirming reports, especially any with named sources, I would love to see it because if this story is in fact accurate... well... light the torches

Edit to add: FWIW, the only international stories I can find (yes I have a VPN) relating to a tracking bracelet are from Oct and Nov. of 2020 when such devices were approved. As far as I know the only use of them has been for tourists arriving yacht-borne which has been well documented.

Still waiting....

A quick Google search found this from a well-known Thai news outlet 2 days ago -- "While staying in Phuket during the mandatory 14-day period, their precise locations will be tracked via the global positioning system (GPS) feature on an English version of Mor Chana, as well as a location-tracking wristband."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Officials said they expect approximately 129,000 foreigners to visit Phuket under the Sandbox scheme. 

I've heard there are similar schemes like "be a jailbird in Alcatraz for two weeks!" and "try life in a Gulag!" - should appeal to people who like being treated like criminals.

Think I'll give it a miss.

• Like 1

regarding the wrist band

richard Barrow on twitter
 "What about the wristband? This is still being discussed. At the moment it will only be for people who don’t own a smartphone or only have an old style phone. People with a smartphone must agree to be tracked through an app. More details soon"

35 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

Oh they know all right. Orwells other masterpiece "1984" is banned here, and activists were arrested in BKK for defiantly reading it in public just a few years ago. 

They also think Nazis are kind of cool, they have a Stuka dive bomber hung from the rafters of Don Muang Airport, the one aircraft above all others famed for strafing civilians. And they do share that love of civil servant uniforms and the cops wear those peaked caps in identical SS style.

Is it true that 1984 is banned ?

15 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

regarding the wrist band

richard Barrow on twitter
 "What about the wristband? This is still being discussed. At the moment it will only be for people who don’t own a smartphone or only have an old style phone. People with a smartphone must agree to be tracked through an app. More details soon"

Perhaps the reporting is inaccurate, but a well-known Thai news outlet reported ""While staying in Phuket during the mandatory 14-day period, their precise locations will be tracked via the global positioning system (GPS) feature on an English version of Mor Chana, as well as a location-tracking wristband."