No translations from Thai on Facebook

Bangkok Barry

Facebook has stopped offering to translate Thai to English, apparently because a word was wrongly translated in a post referring to a royal ceremony. According to FB, they are working to 'resolve some technical issues'. The translations were pretty useless anyway, so translating a word wrongly is no surprise.

• Like 1

My Swedish friend used to refer to his girlfriend by her nickname, which is Tik. For some reason, Facebook translated 'tik' into 'bitch.' They were both quite surprised when I mentioned it. 

• Haha 1

Just can't get why peoples don't simply activate the Translate Page Extension?? on their Browser(s) of choice... 

- it is right there available for Installing/Activating on: Google, on Edge, on Brave...  

I have it populated on all the Browsers on all my laptops.   

Activate the respective Extension, and the problem goes away

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Disparate Dan said:
5 hours ago, Havefunme said:

It's been blocked by Thailand because it translated a word in thai ( salute ) and it translated as slut

where's the mistranslation?

Presumably the Thai word สลุต which could be transliterated as 'slut'.

Edited by katana

Laughable thats what it is, all you computer experts cannot translate????

It is so easy, highlight what you want to translate, right click, click google translate, job done easy.

If a computer illiterate like me can do it, anybody can.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Laughable thats what it is, all you computer experts cannot translate????

It is so easy, highlight what you want to translate, right click, click google translate, job done easy.

If a computer illiterate like me can do it, anybody can.

Could be just a fiendish plot to turn people away from Facebook and Instagram.  TikTok that well known Chinese owned and operated company has translations no problem, Plus as it is Chinese, you could post and insult anybody you want and this government can not or will not do a damn thing about it because it is Chinese. Just don't insult the Chinese that's all. ????????????

Edited by Excel
  • Like 1

It should be mentioned, cautiously, that the "salute/slut" incident happened in a translation of a caption of a photo of a very specific Thai person. THAT is the reason why all translations were shut down, not just because of an humourous random misspelling.

Instagram too, where the most recent faux pas occurred.

FB says its down to a "Technical Error".

Facebook’s Thai to English auto-translation feature on posts and comments has been taken down due to “technical issues,” the social media company’s communications manager for Thailand and Laos wrote in a statement to The Thaiger.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-english-auto-translate-down-on-facebook-due-to-technical-issues

10 hours ago, katana said:

Presumably the Thai word สลุต which could be transliterated as 'slut'.

Translaters do not 'do Transliterations'...   

it the comes down to which exact Consonants you used to form your term for transliteration... 

- your สลุต - when broken down into its separate components,

transliterates directly to 'salute'  

"Translaters do not 'do Transliterations'..."
Yes they do.
eg Google translate TH to EN, if it can't find the Thai word in its database, often just gives a transliteration, then goes onto translate the rest of the sentence. Depending on the rules used, the transliteration/transcription can vary.
What's your explanation of how 'salute' got translated as slut?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 12:48 PM, 2long said:

My Swedish friend used to refer to his girlfriend by her nickname, which is Tik. For some reason, Facebook translated 'tik' into 'bitch.' They were both quite surprised when I mentioned it. 

It’s not strange at all. Tik in Swedish means a female dog. And you can also name a female dog as bitch. Not a nice word for a female dog. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK, after a few weeks this totally sucks.

Yes, the right-click option to translate works fine on a page, but if you translate first, then expand comments those remain in Thai (or other original language). I have to reload (the page) which then takes me away from that topic to my top page.

A VPN doesn't seem to alleviate this issue.

19 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

OK, after a few weeks this totally sucks.

Yes, the right-click option to translate works fine on a page, but if you translate first, then expand comments those remain in Thai (or other original language). I have to reload (the page) which then takes me away from that topic to my top page.

A VPN doesn't seem to alleviate this issue.

Also, who uses a laptop ? ????

ipad, iphone and FB app here.

I haven’t accessed FB on my laptop for years.

My wife and friends/family usually write in Lao, so FB translations were close to useless anyway, but it’s still inconvenient not to have them. 

Edited by HighPriority
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/28/2021 at 2:45 AM, JimPu said:

It’s not strange at all. Tik in Swedish means a female dog. And you can also name a female dog as bitch. Not a nice word for a female dog. 

Nothing wrong with the word bitch just the way we perceive it it is the description of a female dog, as a female pig/sow, deer/doe, and so on.

53 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

My wife and friends/family usually write in Lao, so FB translations were close to useless anyway, but it’s still inconvenient not to have them. 

Translating Lao to English still works automatically on Facebook. 

1 hour ago, HighPriority said:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/173424?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Not my point though; how one accesses content - I use a desktop, notebook, tablet and phone.

It's the refreshing thing that makes this method less than useful.

On 6/18/2021 at 4:35 PM, katana said:

What's your explanation of how 'salute' got translated as slut?

pretty easy really...salute without the e is salut....like steve is pronounced sa~teve. ..with the way fb's algorithms work it doesn't surprise me....i copped a 30 day ban for saying the thai language must have been written by a woman ...men= smells bad...the algorithm picked that up as hate speech

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/173424?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Not my point though; how one accesses content - I use a desktop, notebook, tablet and phone.

It's the refreshing thing that makes this method less than useful.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear.

I don’t use FB through a browser, I use the app.