New U.S. Federal Holiday Juneteenth June 19

16 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It is worth noting that more whites celebrated the end of slavery in the United States than blacks.

Not sure how you could know that but in any case I'm sure that the hope is that Americans of all descriptions enjoy their Juneteenth celebrations going forward.

So, a Federal Holiday on a date that had absolutely no significance to anyone outside of the State of Texas...  With an Ebonics name, no less. 

Yeah.  Pushing that one over the finish line is a proud accomplishment.  

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

So, a Federal Holiday on a date that had absolutely no significance to anyone outside of the State of Texas...  With an Ebonics name, no less. 

Yeah.  Pushing that one over the finish line is a proud accomplishment.  

It didn't take any push. Unanimous approval in the senate. 

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're talking about congressmen not senators.

Well Ron Johnson wanted to vote against it...then he seemed to be all in. 

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Wow.. 

There it is.

Some of his friends are black.

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not sure how you could know that but in any case I'm sure that the hope is that Americans of all descriptions enjoy their Juneteenth celebrations going forward.

That you are not able to figure that out does not surprise me, but I'm with you, it is not a black holiday, it is a holiday for all Americans.

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

That you are not able to figure that out does not surprise me, but I'm with you, it is not a black holiday, it is a holiday for all Americans.

I understand what you're implying but we can't really know what exactly the people on the victorious side in the civil war were actually thinking. They weren't a monolith. We know why the war was fought but that's not the same thing as knowing what individual people were thinking.

Edited by Jingthing

It's the Family and the Economy that are of primary importance. Even members of "diverse" coalitions understand that.

A smart politician would campaign on building strong families, gender, and racial, unification - and focusing on constructing a strong economy. IMHO, many Centrists would vote for such.

Edited by rcuthbert

1 minute ago, rcuthbert said:

It's the Family and the Economy that are of primary importance. Even members of "diverse" coalitions understand that.

A smart politician would campaign on building strong families, gender, and racial unification, and focusing on constructing a strong economy. IMHO, many Centrists would vote for such.

Everyone likes a good day off, parties, food, music,  and large appliances sales.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I understand what you're implying but we can't really know what exactly the people on the victorious side in the civil war were actually thinking. They weren't a monolith. We know why the war was fought but that's not the same thing as knowing what individual people were thinking.

No one said anything about a monolith. Again, that are not able to figure it out does not surprise me. Hopefully they'll have it on CNN...

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

No one said anything about a monolith. Again, that are not able to figure it out does not surprise me. Hopefully they'll have it on CNN...

I know what you were asserting but you can't prove it. Celebrating winning the civil war is not the same thing as celebrating the end of slavery. In fact we can know that the percentage of abolitionist activists in the north wasn't a high percentage.

Wishing everyone a Happy Juneteenth. I hope that this holiday will serve as an annual reminder of the importance of brotherhood, inclusiveness, and racial and religious tolerance, the true values which have made America great. Enjoy the dancing:

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I know what you were asserting but you can't prove it. Celebrating winning the civil war is not the same thing as celebrating the end of slavery. In fact we can know that the percentage of abolitionist activists in the north wasn't a high percentage.

And the percentages of slave holders in the south was not that great ether, what does that have to do with anything? There were a lot of people that were against slavery, not just abolitionist activists.

Do you think the only people that celebrate gay rights legislation are gay rights activists?

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

And the percentages of slave holders in the south was not that great ether, what does that have to do with anything? There were a lot of people that were against slavery, not just abolitionist activists.

Do you think the only people that celebrate gay rights legislation are gay rights activists?

Baiting post ignored.

I think most Union soldiers were there to save the Union and or drafted. When in battle mostly about surviving and comraderie with fellow soldiers. 

Edited by Jingthing

So the count are:

12-13 Federal Holidays in the US

8-9 Bank holidays in the UK

13 'Official' Holidays for Thailand (more for Govenment announced substitution days that many businesses follows too, but most cheapskate business only pay for or recognize the minimum 13) 

and with Thai minium paid Leave of only 6 - 7 days for minimum wage worker compared to around 28 days for folks in developed world, 

So the Thai bashers who said Thailand has too many holidays? 

After 14 years here, US holidays just slip by unnoticed as do most holidays in general.  This one will slip by unnoticed too.  When I lived there, it was hard not to notice them.  Now that I live here, it's hard to really care.  Other than Loi Krathon, our family barely gives a nod to Thai holidays either. 

Based upon the statements I recall reading, the 14 congressional house members that voted against the proposal agreed in principle with holiday.

Their disagreement was only with the name of "National Independence Day", which tends to throw a shadow on the traditional July 4th Independence Day, celebrating the freedom and independence of the entire nation. 

4 hours ago, connda said:

After 14 years here, US holidays just slip by unnoticed as do most holidays in general.  This one will slip by unnoticed too.  When I lived there, it was hard not to notice them.  Now that I live here, it's hard to really care.  Other than Loi Krathon, our family barely gives a nod to Thai holidays either. 

That's true. Living abroad definitely changes what U.S. federal holidays mean, that's for sure. But I thought it was worth noting this new one that just happened.