Online appeal launched to fly home elderly British man taken seriously ill in Korat

webfact

1 minute ago, Excel said:

Clearly you can't or won't read. He had health insurance.  Due to circumstance he could not renew You never know what is round the corner either, unless you are so full of yourself you can also predict the future ?

Certainly I cannot predict the future.

That is why I have health insurance. If the subject of the story could read the future, I guess he would have gone back to UK when his insurance ran out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Sorry I do not understand, he can get very good treatment here

He probably does not understand Thai, possibly has other co-morbidities, who is going to assist him in rehabilitation, pay the medical expenses and house him?

3 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Certainly I cannot predict the future.

That is why I have health insurance. If the subject of the story could read the future, I guess he would have gone back to UK when his insurance ran out.

have a nice day, you are now on ignore

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Denim said:
23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He wouldn't be just a passenger in a wheelchair, he's suffering from a stroke and needs medical care, no airlines would let him board in his condition for obvious reasons.   

I doubt that you ever had to care for someone in his condition if all you were doing was dumping them in a taxi on their own.  Did those taxis provide wheelchairs for their paralised passengers at the end of the trip?

Expand  

Notwithstanding the paucity of information in the OP , the exact kind of care he would require has not been stated.

The OP describes him as being seriously ill in hospital, paralised on one side and unable to speak or swallow, that's fairly abundant information, hardly a paucity of it.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, tonray said:

I feel for the guy and family...but with existing medical conditions he chose to remain away from the UK and the NHS, there is risk in all decisions we make as expats, this was one that caught up with him. 

He's an expat?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

He would require a certificate stating he is "fit to fly" even with a nurse/paramedic accompanying him.

Should a commercial airline take him as opposed to a medical evacuation flight,  several seats need to be purchased, equipment he requires needs to be available and the cost could easily blow out to around GBP 80K with return flight for medical personnel and accommodation.

Only guessing now but  suspect that this would not be a normal commercial flight, if so no where near the 80 k suggested. That suggests it would be an all singing all dancing medicare evac with onboard facilities and personal to ensure his flight is as comfortable as possible. based on this link 80k is in the right ball park

https://www.iasmedical.com/asia/air-ambulance-thailand/

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

A self-insurer is someone who deliberately chooses not to take out insurance because he has the funds to pay for any future medical situations

Or possibly someone who chooses to stay in an uninsured situation when other options are available. 

If someone does not have insurance they will need to have funds to self insure. Hence, self insuring.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I was asking tonray who claimed that the Briton is an expat.

I believe he said "us expats" That would be referring to himself and other posters, to whom he is speaking. Not necessarily the subject of the story.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, tonray said:
32 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You think that his daughters should be supervising the medical staff and doctors in the hospital that are treating him?   How does that work?

I supervised my Mom's care for 12 years...and yes....reviewing meds given, making sure people are changing diapers on a timely basis, you'd be surprised how little attention people get if nobody is there as an advocate.

In hospital?

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Incorrect. If he returns to UK and can show he intends to stay in UK, he has full access to NHS treatment.

Correct, as is my original post.

If he makes it home I guess in his condition he is not leaving anytime soon.

Edited by Saltire

7 minutes ago, puchooay said:
11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I was asking tonray who claimed that the Briton is an expat.

I believe he said "us expats" That would be referring to himself and other posters, to whom he is speaking. Not necessarily the subject of the story.

As he referred to him in the same sentence that he referred to expats being in his situation, I believe that was intended to include him.   If he didn't, I'm sure that tonray will be able to speak for himself.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Correct, as is my original post.

If he makes it home I guess in his condition he is not leaving anytime soon.

This was your original post

"Depending how long he has been in Thailand there is no guarantee he can use the free NHS. While he would be happier at home, if he has to pay in the UK anyway, he should get treated here as some suggest. Last I read the NHS for this sort of treatment is not only expensive, they add 50% for good measure. Hope he was a real tourist and still qualifies for free treatment in the UK."

How long someone has been away from UK has no bearing on being eligible for free NHS care.

30 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The OP describes him as being seriously ill in hospital, paralised on one side and unable to speak or swallow, that's fairly abundant information, hardly a paucity of it.

Well , clearly something will have to be done since its not going to resolve itself.

What do you think the best way forward is and what constructive advice can you give his family.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, puchooay said:

This was your original post

"Depending how long he has been in Thailand there is no guarantee he can use the free NHS. While he would be happier at home, if he has to pay in the UK anyway, he should get treated here as some suggest. Last I read the NHS for this sort of treatment is not only expensive, they add 50% for good measure. Hope he was a real tourist and still qualifies for free treatment in the UK."

How long someone has been away from UK has no bearing on being eligible for free NHS care.

uk.gov.uk says

You're automatically non-resident if either: you spent fewer than 16 days in the UK (or 46 days if you have not been classed as UK resident for the 3 previous tax years) you work abroad full-time (averaging at least 35 hours a week) and spent fewer than 91 days in the UK, of which no more than 30 were spent working.

Non resident = no NHS

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What do you think the best way forward is and what constructive advice can you give his family?

I have already made some suggestions. What or yours ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Unless the patient is declaring that it is his intention to remain in the UK, then he does get NHS treatment.

Already agreed with that, and in his case he is not leaving the UK in a hurry if he makes it home.

Edited by Saltire
  • Like 1

It is tragic, obviously, but he should not be here/ let the NHS look after him with his family. IMHO unless you have 40,000 a month, 800k for your visa, health insurance and bought a home here you should not be here.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Saltire said:

uk.gov.uk says

You're automatically non-resident if either: you spent fewer than 16 days in the UK (or 46 days if you have not been classed as UK resident for the 3 previous tax years) you work abroad full-time (averaging at least 35 hours a week) and spent fewer than 91 days in the UK, of which no more than 30 were spent working.

Non resident = no NHS

Incorrect once again. I spent 21 consecutive years away from UK. Upon my return I have had no issues with receiving NHS care. I know of many others in the same boat.

Being unable to receive NHS care because of long term absence is a bar stool myth.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Denim said:
5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What do you think the best way forward is and what constructive advice can you give his family?

I have already made some suggestions. What or yours ?

No, you haven't made "some suggestions".   You told the family to pay for a nurse to accompany him on a flight that he clearly would never be allowed to board in his present hosptitalised condition, that's all!