Online appeal launched to fly home elderly British man taken seriously ill in Korat

webfact

8 minutes ago, Saltire said:

uk.gov.uk says

You're automatically non-resident if either: you spent fewer than 16 days in the UK (or 46 days if you have not been classed as UK resident for the 3 previous tax years) you work abroad full-time (averaging at least 35 hours a week) and spent fewer than 91 days in the UK, of which no more than 30 were spent working.

Non resident = no NHS

It is very unfair if you have spent 35 years or more PAYING into the scheme - same as the Govt Pension no increase rule - very unfair as you have PAID for the right.

4 minutes ago, Saltire said:
uk.gov.uk says

You're automatically non-resident if either: you spent fewer than 16 days in the UK (or 46 days if you have not been classed as UK resident for the 3 previous tax years) you work abroad full-time (averaging at least 35 hours a week) and spent fewer than 91 days in the UK, of which no more than 30 were spent working.

Non resident = no NHS

That appears to be a quote re tax status. What does that have to do with healthcare?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

It is very unfair if you have spent 35 years or more PAYING into the scheme - same as the Govt Pension no increase rule - very unfair as you have PAID for the right.

Not unfair as not true, with regards to healthcare.

Edited by puchooay

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

It is tragic, obviously, but he should not be here/ let the NHS look after him with his family. IMHO unless you have 40,000 a month, 800k for your visa, health insurance and bought a home here you should not be here.

I think you just got carried away. Really just stuff you made up off the top of your head in order to say something. But it's just wrong...all of it.

• Haha 1

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

If I want to give the family any advice here, I'll post it, that's not your concern.

Just weird how you think you are in a position to offer the family any advice, except give them a weather report from Natai beach.????????????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Incorrect once again. I spent 21 consecutive years away from UK. Upon my return I have had no issues with receiving NHS care. I know of many others in the same boat.

Being unable to receive NHS care because of long term absence is a bar stool myth.

You're right for returning expats who are returning to stay permanantly but if the NHS is aware that you live abroad, are not a UK resident and have no intention of remaining in the UK, i.e. you've only returned for NHS treatment, free treatment will not be that straightforward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

That appears to be a quote re tax status. What does that have to do with healthcare?

It is tax based and also relevant to the NHS

If you're moving abroad on a permanent basis, you'll no longer automatically be entitled to medical treatment under normal NHS rules. This is because the NHS is a residence-based healthcare system. You'll have to notify your GP practice so you and your family can be removed from the NHS register.

I am aware they don't often check and also that many get away with lying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

...you think you are in a position to offer the family any advice, except give them a weather report from Natai beach.

I don't think I'm in that position, I haven't offered the family any advice and I'm not in Natai beach.  Apart from that, you were spot on...as usual!

1 minute ago, puchooay said:

You are still not seeing it.

It does not matter how long you have been away from UK. Upon your return you simply register with a local practice and you are back on the register. Thus making your original comment incorrect.

i give up, the gov.uk and nhs.uk rules are clear. If you are asked to sign a declaration that you are returning permanently, and do so, then yes it will be free. And if you subsequently leave again there can be consequences to your lie. Sounds like you got away with it, bravo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Most helpful thank you. Alternatively, I understand that it is possible to travel by rail between UK and Singapore (Singapore being the furthest continental land mass with a rail connection). As you say, where there is a will there is a way!

A rail connection between Singapore and the UK?

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're right for returning expats who are returning to stay permanantly but if the NHS is aware that you live abroad, are not a UK resident and have no intention of remaining in the UK, i.e. you've only returned for NHS treatment, free treatment will not be that straightforward.

No questions are asked. I returned to UK after 21 years away.

I simply went online and registered with the practice nearest to my new address. I received the forms in the post, completed them and returned them. 

6 minutes ago, Saltire said:

If you're moving abroad on a permanent basis, you'll no longer automatically be entitled to medical treatment under normal NHS rules. This is because the NHS is a residence-based healthcare system. You'll have to notify your GP practice so you and your family can be removed from the NHS register.

1. We don't have enough details re his residency status - he may be an expat in Thailand, he may be a snow bird.
  2. Even if he is an expat, he can easily get free treatment as soon as he gets back.

Quoting info re tax status still seems pointless to me.

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yeah, but this guy is 73 and paralysed.

Not much chance of him ever leaving the UK again, if he manages to get back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

1. We don't have enough details re his residency status - he may be an expat in Thailand, he may be a snow bird.
  2. Even if he is an expat, he can easily get free treatment as soon as he gets back.

Quoting info re tax status still seems pointless to me.

NHS is a residence-based healthcare system.

Just now, BritManToo said:
14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yeah, but this guy is 73 and paralysed.

Not much chance of him ever leaving the UK again, if he manages to get back.

I know, that's why I was commenting generally, not specifically about the Briton in the OP.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saltire said:

And those that don't advise the NHS and still claim that they have received free NHS are either telling porky pies or else committing a fraud against the UK health system.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saltire said:

Exactly right.

No matter how long you have been away. When you return and "reside" in UK you can register and receive free NHS care.

Hence, your original comment was incorrect.

• Like 1

Just now, Excel said:

And those that don't advise the NHS and still claim that they have received free NHS are either telling porky pies or else committing a fraud against the UK health system.

Thank you!

It's hard to debate here when some obviously read every second or third post.

1 minute ago, Saltire said:

You can post that as often as you want, it doesn't change the fact he will be eligible for healthcare on his return.

A tax rule is not relevant to healthcare.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Gary Short, 73, from Gloucester, had been stuck in Thailand due to the pandemic when he suffered a stroke on June 7.

To my knowledge return flights to UK have been possible for long time, perhaps almost all the time during the pandemic.

I always feel sorry for people that get into accidental troubles and lack funds or insurance cover, but on the other hand, I also feel it's wrong to start asking for "go fund me" and similar help, because often it's a choice not to buy proper insurance cover, or check that the insures covers, or decide to be without one, i.e. self-insured.

I know from friends that suffered a stroke that you can end being fully dependent of help and support from others, it's often a very sad and extremely difficult situation.

I do hope that the relatives find a solution to get their father home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Salerno said:

You can post that as often as you want, it doesn't change the fact he will be eligible for healthcare on his return.

A tax rule is not relevant to healthcare.

In his case, yes of course, as a general rule, no.

• Like 1

As much as i feel for Gary, he's one of the reasons this government slap expats with insurance policies like a latest one. I still think that is you cannot afford to live overseas, you should not. this just gives all expats a bad name.

again, Gary, hope you get back safely, all the best old timer!

• Like 2