Schools in Chiang Rai shut again after local cluster of Covid that originated in Chonburi

webfact

School copy.jpg

File photo for reference only

Bangkok Business News reported that many schools in Chiang Rai have been ordered shut again just after they reopened. 

The schools had reopened Monday but through the week a large cluster of infections have been discovered in Tap Tao sub-district of Therng district in the northern Thai province. 

This cluster originated in Chonburi but spread and a M5 boy at a Chiang Rai school tested positive after being infected by his mother.

Eighteen cases were found in Tap Tao on Thursday.  

All tessaban schools in Chiang Rai are shut plus technology colleges and kindergartens. 

They were ordered shut Friday by provincial governor Prajon Pratsakun and will remain clsed until July 4th with online learning to be carried out. 

An exclusion zone has been set up in Tap Tao with a 9pm to 5 am curfew. 

The infection has reportedly also spread to Phayao though what schools, if any, were closed there was unclear. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-06-19

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Crazy. If every school does this every time there's an infection education will be disrupted for years! 

Agreed. Not only are the vaccines late, choosing Sinovac and AstraZenica here instead of the Pfizer or Moderna set us back perhaps a whole year. It is like trying to put out a fire with half gasoline, half water. We will not die, but will continue to infect each other here for a long time until we get the proper vaccines. Several countries do not recognize them as being effective enough to allow you to cross their border. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The schools had reopened Monday but through the week a large cluster of infections have been discovered in Tap Tao sub-district of Therng district in the northern Thai province. 

For all those who thought it was time to open schools again, the proof of infections around the country is now coming home to roost it's far too early.

Get everyone vaccinated then start to open... not ar*e-about face.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

For all those who thought it was time to open schools again, the proof of infections around the country is now coming home to roost it's far too early.

Get everyone vaccinated then start to open... not ar*e-about face.

Getting everyone vaccinated is an impossibility and it will take many, many months to vaccinate a large proportion of the population. You think schools should remain closed for many months? I'm guessing you don't have kids?

3 hours ago, Gold Star said:

Agreed. Not only are the vaccines late, choosing Sinovac and AstraZenica here instead of the Pfizer or Moderna set us back perhaps a whole year

Sorry I cannot possibly agree with that logic in regards to the AZ vaccine. The evidence of deaths now in the UK - mostly using the AZ vaccines - has been reduced dramatically since vaccinations started with the AZ. Will other does be required and the vaccines jiggled about - probably. But it has brought some time - and it is an at cost.

Thailand is now about 6 months behind the UK. If they had started vaccinating in January then they would not be in the position they are now and opening would probably not be too much on an issue later in the year.

As for the chinese 3% first dose gunk - i probably would agree with you.

1 hour ago, ripstanley said:

Thank you for this info. There should be a ban on travel between provinces. When people do travel they are supposed to report to health authorities. We all know that they do not.  We also know that Thailand will not impose a ban so we all have to suffer 

Where does it say they people who travel between provinces need to report to health authorities (or is it only for some provinces)? As far as I was aware we can travel from Bangkok to Chonburi/Pattaya, Rayong, Hua Hin (Prachuap Khiri Khan) without restrictions. 

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Getting everyone vaccinated is an impossibility and it will take many, many months to vaccinate a large proportion of the population. You think schools should remain closed for many months? I'm guessing you don't have kids?

Yes, it will take a long long time.

if they hadn’t waited till the last minute they wouldn’t be in this situation . 
im sorry to hear you would put your child’s health at risk by sending them to school. Sad 

there was an outbreak in a northerly community in Canada where 235 , mainly children were infected.

It it was your choice to raise a family in a third world country!

didn’t turn out so well now did it!

14 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Yes, it will take a long long time.

if they hadn’t waited till the last minute they wouldn’t be in this situation . 
im sorry to hear you would put your child’s health at risk by sending them to school. Sad 

there was an outbreak in a northerly community in Canada where 235 , mainly children were infected.

It it was your choice to raise a family in a third world country!

didn’t turn out so well now did it!

I'm far more worried about the risk to me than my kid. I'm in an 'at risk' group, being 60+, high BP and pre-diabetic. Kids are not harmed by Covid, except in exceedingly rare cases. I'm far more worried about him being stuck in the condo for 3 months. Mind you, he's an ace at Roblox now. 

What's this 3rd World Country you speak of? ????

Edited by brewsterbudgen

On 6/19/2021 at 7:17 PM, RichardColeman said:

Sorry I cannot possibly agree with that logic in regards to the AZ vaccine. The evidence of deaths now in the UK - mostly using the AZ vaccines - has been reduced dramatically since vaccinations started with the AZ. Will other does be required and the vaccines jiggled about - probably. But it has brought some time - and it is an at cost.

Thailand is now about 6 months behind the UK. If they had started vaccinating in January then they would not be in the position they are now and opening would probably not be too much on an issue later in the year.

As for the chinese 3% first dose gunk - i probably would agree with you.

As for keeping one from getting seriously ill, all vaccines will do that. My point is that with the low efficacy of both Sinovac and AZ, the virus will still spread. Until these are discontinued, and the best vaccines are finally used, we will continue to infect and reinfect each other.  

Vaccine efficacy.jpg

5 minutes ago, Gold Star said:

As for keeping one from getting seriously ill, all vaccines will do that. My point is that with the low efficacy of both Sinovac and AZ, the virus will still spread. Until these are discontinued, and the best vaccines are finally used, we will continue to infect and reinfect each other.  

Vaccine efficacy.jpg

AZ has been tested in real world studies against all variants including Delta and it does fine, a little behind Pfizer but not that much:

The AZ vaccine was 92% effective against hospitalisation or death from the Delta variant after two doses.

The data also showed that a single dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine was 94% effective at preventing hospitalisation, while AZ’s jab was 71% effective after the first dose. 

https://www.pmlive.com/pharma_news/pfizerbiontech,_az_vaccines_effective_against_delta_covid-19_variant_after_two_doses_1371713

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 3:08 PM, chilly07 said:

Easy to blame Chonburi which is at the opposite end of the country. More likely to have come from Myanmar or Laos

The only cases that are talked about in our close proximity are people coming back home from Pattaya and Bangkok.

15 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

AZ has been tested in real world studies against all variants including Delta and it does fine, a little behind Pfizer but not that much:

The AZ vaccine was 92% effective against hospitalisation or death from the Delta variant after two doses.

The data also showed that a single dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine was 94% effective at preventing hospitalisation, while AZ’s jab was 71% effective after the first dose. 

https://www.pmlive.com/pharma_news/pfizerbiontech,_az_vaccines_effective_against_delta_covid-19_variant_after_two_doses_1371713

Yes, I agree that any jab is better than no jab. However, in regards to being able to contract the virus and disease, the report states:

'The AZ vaccine was also less effective against symptomatic disease caused by the Alpha variant (previously known as the Kent or UK variant) and the Delta variant, with protection levels of 74% and 64%, respectively.'

The Pfizer or Moderna, with a known 95% efficacy, means that out of a million people vaccinated with it, 50,000 will still be able to catch the virus and be able to pass it on.

Compared to the AZ, would be a whopping 260,000 to 360,000 people that can still catch and pass on one of the variants. About 5 to 7 times worse than the Pfizer or Moderna rates of contracting the symptomatic disease.

The end of this pandemic, (if there ever is one), will come exponentially faster with the proper vaccines.

Personally, I don't believe we will be able to ever get rid of it, but will make it less lethal with vaccines. It will continue to be carried and spread around mainly by those that refuse and remain unvaccinated.