Covid has been a Godsend

bert bloggs

7 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

What,about the lack of water in Pattaya? Hopefuly by normal times the problems will be sorted out and we will get enough

No water shortage here just off 3rd road.....

The pipes transporting the water have a minimal effect on the amount available, it's the amount of water in Mabprachan Lake that determines the supply, and that's still very low.

Other than that, I'd say Covid has been a godsend for the traffic, especially because of the roadworks and the lack of half empty tourist coaches and empty songthaews. I got from Pattaya Nua to Pratumnak and back again in 35 minutes this morning!!

20 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The pipes transporting the water have a minimal effect on the amount available, it's the amount of water in Mabprachan Lake that determines the supply, and that's still very low.

Other than that, I'd say Covid has been a godsend for the traffic, especially because of the roadworks and the lack of half empty tourist coaches and empty songthaews. I got from Pattaya Nua to Pratumnak and back again in 35 minutes this morning!!

I thought i read some time ago that they bring water from another place ,not just Maprachen?,even with the amount of people in Pattaya now ,the lake doesnt have enough water.

real point here is that the lack of crowds in tourist areas has given those municipals the chance to rebuild or improve key infrastructure like roads, sidewalks, drains, water, electric, which Phuket Karon & Chalong have done very well. Also new build private property has significantly increased.

Covid itself of course has been and continues to be a massive disaster for mankind ; economic & social losses beyond calculation.......if sent by God, then screw God........

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

real point here is that the lack of crowds in tourist areas has given those municipals the chance to rebuild or improve key infrastructure like roads, sidewalks, drains, water, electric, which Phuket Karon & Chalong have done very well. Also new build private property has significantly increased.

Covid itself of course has been and continues to be a massive disaster for mankind ; economic & social losses beyond calculation.......if sent by God, then screw God........

It's not the lack of crowds that have provided the opportunity, they have always done the majority of infrastructure works during tourist high season.

Why?

It's not rainy season, try digging a ditch in rainy season and see what happens!

• Like 2

no. this is different. 

never before seen the intensity/ scope / speed of public works in local tourist areas, like in the last 15 months. talking “ local” stuff not major works like road underpasses or airport extentions seen here in Phuket, which still took many years to complete....

An insensitive and trivial OP and we wonder why  Thai people have so little time for Farangs.

The  generally under-unreported pain, death and sufferings caused to so many Thai and other SE  Asian  workers by this co called pandemic  is only matched by the "Crass" insensitivity of those who should really know better! 

There are many similar posts on this august forum from time to time  that I just about manage  "not to comment on"  but this OP I just could not ignore!

Edited by n210mp
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

They don't  have the sidewalks very high on their list, they seem to get dug up and then left in a state, 

I have started to use my truck again to pop in and out of town which is convenient. 

Edited by jacko45k

21 hours ago, petermik said:

No water shortage here just off 3rd road.....

No shortage on Khoa Talo. However, when it rains it gets a bit flooded at the bottom. I'm at the top end, so ok for me but I don't drive down the bottom during or just after a big lashing down

Covid could only be considered a Godsend by someone so out of touch, so oblivious to the woes of the planet, so self absorbed, so as to not consider the nearly 4 million dead, the millions of lives wrecked by the economic shutdown, the millions of lives devastated by the willful sabotage of the tourism industry here, and the millions of businesses lost permanently, worldwide. What can one say?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Covid could only be considered a Godsend by someone so out of touch, so oblivious to the woes of the planet, so self absorbed, so as to not consider the nearly 4 million dead, the millions of lives wrecked by the economic shutdown, the millions of lives devastated by the willful sabotage of the tourism industry here, and the millions of businesses lost permanently, worldwide. What can one say?

Just saw sad news from UK... there the longest sufferer from long-covid, who had been in intensive care for over a year, refused more treatment and has died. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/longest-covid-patient-dies-jason-kelk-b1868953.html

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-uks-longest-known-covid-patient-was-begged-by-wife-not-to-end-treatment-before-he-died-12336139

Sometimes a single example can do the job.....

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

Been a financial boon to my sister in law. She and her husband sell Khow Mok Gai ( chicken and rice ) from a stall down in Samut Sakorn. 

Since all the local sit down restaurants have had to close her chicken is flying out the pot for takeaway orders. They are pulling in over 5000 baht a day , 3000 of which is profit . Last month they managed to bank 70,000 baht. A huge amount for them. She has paid off her debt to my wife and even offered me a thousand baht drinking money ( declined ) for help I have given her in the past.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

Sometimes after they have upgraded the main waterpipes, the extra pressure creates leaks in the plumbing joints of houses.  Just saying. 

In one case here in Pattaya the water main rose up out of the asphalt at a major intersection.

After the "repair" there's still a bump in the road.

6 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Your are correct. "God-sent" would be 3.8 BILLION deaths, not 3.8 million... would also solve a lot of earthly problems like over-population, food and water shortages, wars over space and resources, climate change, waste... the list could go on forever, just because we "replicate" too much...

Are you Thanos in disguise?

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Been a financial boon to my sister in law. She and her husband sell Khow Mok Gai ( chicken and rice ) from a stall down in Samut Sakorn. 

Since all the local sit down restaurants have had to close her chicken is flying out the pot for takeaway orders. They are pulling in over 5000 baht a day , 3000 of which is profit . Last month they managed to bank 70,000 baht. A huge amount for them. She has paid off her debt to my wife and even offered me a thousand baht drinking money ( declined ) for help I have given her in the past.

With Khao Mok Gai.. It's all in the yellow rice seasoning and the green sauce..makes or breaks em..love the stuff. There's a Muslim lady who just started selling it at our local night market in Nonthaburi and it's outrageous. OK..back to your regularly programming.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Funny you should say that but my daughter has a business in the UK which she runs from home ,since the shops and stores closed ,its gone through the roof as she is online ,even now as the shops have opened ,repeat customers dont bother they still use her.she cant keep up there is so much work.

• Like 1