Where to buy Strattera? (ADHD)

I have severe ADHD and direly need to get back on Strattera. It had been the only medication in the past that worked wonders for my ADHD.

Where can I buy Strattera in Bangkok? 

It is understood that hospitals charge an arm and a leg for this particular RX, so I would prefer to find an independent pharmacy to make this purchase, if at all possible, as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by rocketblastoffNHBB

Try the wholesale pharmacies on Rama 4 (opposite Lumpini Park), Chula MD or S.C. Pharmacy, they have serious stocks of everything and what is controlled elsewhere is not always controlled here. Call them first, they will tell you if it's available. I have used Chula MD for years, far cheaper than normal pharmacies.

Strattera is a controlled substance, you will not be able to buy it in any pharmacy, even with a prescription.

Only available from selected hospital pharmacies, with a prescription, and even then you will only get I think maximum 1 month supply.

Need passport and address as well, to receive it

• Like 1

Start at the Behavioral Medicine section of Bumrungrad or Samitivej. 

Appointments with a psychiatrist aren't very expensive and they'll tell you your options (if any for Strattera in Thailand).  Later, you can try to chase down other alternative sources like gov't hospitals and/or dodgy pharmacies, but the Behavioral Medicine section of a foreigner centric hospital is your best start.

I liked Dr Spain at Bumrungrad, but that was 2 years back- pre-Covid.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Start at the Behavioral Medicine section of Bumrungrad or Samitivej. 

Appointments with a psychiatrist aren't very expensive and they'll tell you your options (if any for Strattera in Thailand).  Later, you can try to chase down other alternative sources like gov't hospitals and/or dodgy pharmacies, but the Behavioral Medicine section of a foreigner centric hospital is your best start.

I liked Dr Spain at Bumrungrad, but that was 2 years back- pre-Covid.

Dr. Spain at Bumrungrad is good, fee is acceptable at around 500-800 for doctor's and hospital's fee but what the Bumrungrad Pharmacy charges can be high, there might be better options of Government hospital that can dispense the medicine cheaper than the private hospitals 

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

Dr. Spain at Bumrungrad is good, fee is acceptable at around 500-800 for doctor's and hospital's fee but what the Bumrungrad Pharmacy charges can be high, there might be better options of Government hospital that can dispense the medicine cheaper than the private hospitals 

Agreed in general.  Bumrungrad pharmacy is expensive.  So's Samitivej.  But they're the OP's best chance of getting what he needs. And for finding out if Strattera (or a generic) is even available in Thailand. 

List price for Strattera in the USA is $450 for 30 pills.  GoodRx.com discounts get that down in the $30-50 range, but I suspect he's in for sticker shock in Thailand...  In which case a guy like Dr Spain can steer him toward affordable alternatives.  Once his urgent need is met, he can start looking for cheaper sources.

Edit:  Basically, I'm suggesting that he invest the 500-800 baht to prevent having to run around, possibly in a futile effort.  And to let him know that seeing a psychiatrist in Thailand isn't going to cost $250+ an hour like it would in the USA.  That was a pleasant surprise for me...

Edited by impulse

10 hours ago, impulse said:

And for finding out if Strattera (or a generic) is even available in Thailand. 

Strattera is available in Thailand, a generic is not available, this information is available for free: http://ndi.fda.moph.go.th/drug_info/index?name=Atomoxetine&brand=&rctype=&drugno=

To obtain it he does of course need to see a doctor.

Edited by jackdd

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

Strattera is available in Thailand, a generic is not available, this information is available for free: http://ndi.fda.moph.go.th/drug_info/index?name=Atomoxetine&brand=&rctype=&drugno=

To obtain it he does of course need to see a doctor.

It may be on the legally available list, but that doesn't necessarily mean anyone stocks it.  Which brings me back to Bumrungrad and Samitivej.  If any hospitals stock it, those two are the most likely.  Chasing it down in government hospitals and even the most comprehensive of pharmacies will likely end in a lot of wasted effort if those 2 hospitals don't even have it.

Ultimately, he may find a cheaper source.  But that's where I'd start looking.  Then refine my efforts with that information.  A few hundred baht and an appointment with someone who deals in ADHD for a living saved me a ton of shoe leather, effort and disappointment.  My go-to guy was Dr. Spain in Bumrungrad.  But that was before Covid.  I'm sure there are others who may have appointment times available.

Edited by impulse

As others have noted, this is a controlled drug and cannot be bought at a pharmacy, you have to get it at a hospital. There is no generic available so it is imported and will be costly.

Government hospitals would cost less than private, but I cannot guarantee they will have it.

If cost is a big concern you could try the government psych hospital in Thonburi area:

https://www.somdet.go.th/public/Eng/main.php

• 1 month later...

Late to the party, but Strattera (atomoxetine) IS available in Thailand.  

It costs an arm and a leg though.  I asked for some at Sritanya, the Government mental health hospital in Nonthaburi at the Ministry of Public Health.  It was about 4,500 baht for a month's supply so I decided not to because it can take up to a month for results to be seen.  

If it didn't work for me, what a waste of money - I can get 4 months worth of Ritalin for about the same amount.

However, if it works for you and the amount is OK for you, then try Sritanya (there's an MRT stop there on the Purple Line) and take a Thai with you because although the doctors all speak some English, most of the staff at registration etc don't.