Reopening bars: People drinking alcohol are difficult to control and risk spreading virus

webfact

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Ah, I see we have another Puritan who is only here for the temples ????.

Most normal people like to relax on holiday, and generally that doesn't include being treated like a child who isn't allowed a beer. A lot of people on holiday spend days by the pool and enjoy going to the pubs and enjoying the nightlife in the evening. We're not all tucked up in bed with a Horlicks Lite and the latest copy of Cosmopolitan by 9pm. 

Given that many countries have just come out of strict lockdown, why would they fly half way around the world to a largely unvaccinated country that has stricter measures than the one they just left? Maybe for the beaches? ????

https://www.thephuketnews.com/oil-spill-hits-phuket-beaches-80370.php

image.png.7f24dad0d3d848d379ddb27e507d352f.png

Sure, that's what it's about. "a beer". Because as we all know, drinkers in restaurants, pubs and bars never ever have more than "a beer" during a session of drinking.

Edited by placeholder

13 hours ago, Harry Fingerling said:

Government is quick to blame The people when the sole problem has been their making from day one. General knee Jerk quick at first to blame the dirty Ferang then close all the bars putting 100’s of 1000’s out of work.

vaccine administration is nothing less than appalling and Thailand now officially is the suicide capital of Southern Asia.

perhaps a uniform change to cowboys would be applicable. 

Good points. A uniform change to clowns would also be appropriate.

16 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm not a guest. I wasn't invited.

Are you trying to say hotels do not have guests, inmates?

You need to check the dictionary, invitation is not an exclusive criteria, a guest can be someone that frequents a venue as a customer.

9 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

For me it's simply about enjoying a beer, my gf has the very occasional Mojito but neither of us gets wasted.

Sure, some people like to have a few more. Why not? When did having more than "a beer" become such a huge crime? You can be as supercilious as you like, it doesn't change the fact that very few people will come unless the rules are relaxed. Sanctimony and Paternalism aren't great selling points for tourists.

I don't know about having more than 1 beer being a crime, but it became a matter of public health somewhere around the time there began to be a pandemic.

Given the other restrictions imposed, don't think there's going to be a lot of tourists coming anyway. But even if that wasn't the case, it's a shame about tourism. But it's also a shame that there's something called Covid 19 in the air. Quite literally.

Using this logic, Thais who eat in restaurants are also difficult to control because they will eat and gossip all day if they want to. ( Have you ever tried to stop a Thai woman talking? )  If they really want to restrict drinking alcohol they could only permit it if you have food  and then over a minimum amount of food. They could also restrict the amount of alcohol they serve at one time to stop the alcoholics drinking all day with a 30 Baht meal.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Johncat2 said:

Using this logic, Thais who eat in restaurants are also difficult to control because they will eat and gossip all day if they want to. ( Have you ever tried to stop a Thai woman talking? )  If they really want to restrict drinking alcohol they could only permit it if you have food  and then over a minimum amount of food. They could also restrict the amount of alcohol they serve at one time to stop the alcoholics drinking all day with a 30 Baht meal.  

And you think that would be enforceable?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bojo said:

Now there's a 20th Century word.......funny as................reminds me of the the rules sign in UK swimming pools or baths as they were called.....'No petting'..................... and where might I ask are these rest rooms BTW ?!

Next to the 'Foot Long Sausage display maybe?

1 hour ago, Johncat2 said:

Wear a mask and use a straw to drink the beer..Problem solved.

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

And you think that would be enforceable?

By a competent government? Yes. But by this bunch of clowns?

Given the current state of emergency which is in force, the government has every conceivable power available to it - so if they are incapable of enforcing such rules then they must accept the responsibility when the hospitality sector crashes even further into the abyss, taking the potential for tourism to rebound quickly with it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, My POV said:

It was really just the groups of younger folks drinking out of a shared bucket of booze that started all of this <deleted>. Just stop the buckets and sharing booze. To each his own! Time to take your own health in Your hands.

But that hasn't really stopped, at least not at the mom & pop shops or the local markets where Thais sit and drink together every night.

Close pubs and bars but then don't waste your money trying to bring over tourists, because they won't come, unless you "forget to tell them" that bars and pubs will not serve alcohol!

"Wine can make you fat, what will you chose red or white?"

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, shdmn said:

Banning alcohol sales is one of the dumber things I have seen done during this pandemic. If there was ever a time people could use a drink it's now.  In Canada, they declared liquor stores essential services.

Yes, I know Thailand is talking about bars and not liquor sales specifically, at least not yet.  However, in places like the Philippines they actually banned all liquor sales in some regions.  So stupid.

They banned ALL booze sales here in Thailand last year for 3 months!

ThaiBev must be lobbying heavily for reopening of bars and pubs.  They have already had to postpone the spin off listing of the beer division in Singapore and the share price went down 20% as a result.  Given the privilege they got for vaccines from the Interior Ministry it is safe to assume that they are pledging a hefty contribution to PRPP's war chest for the upcoming election. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

Are you trying to say hotels do not have guests, inmates?

You need to check the dictionary, invitation is not an exclusive criteria, a guest can be someone that frequents a venue as a customer.

We aren't guests, we're more of a cash cow.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

We aren't guests, we're more of a cash cow.

Obviously you can speak for yourself but I would have thought you have to have cash to be a cash cow.

There is a saying about blood and stone that would be more applicable.

22 hours ago, fleccer said:

That's right: people have this bad habit of socializing, making friendship and being together. And obviously the virus takes advantage of it, since it is well known that even the virus likes alcohol and drinking in company. 

Those were the good old days . 

Pre , covid / panic era ..

Socializing , meeting friends , for a beer .

Kindle , is now my best  friend ..

The other four finger friends ,?  

Can take a long ride , home .

5 hours ago, Moo 2 said:

Close pubs and bars but then don't waste your money trying to bring over tourists, because they won't come, unless you "forget to tell them" that bars and pubs will not serve alcohol!

Spot on .

Two younger members of my family ,

have planned  a  Phucket visit in October . 

I  have told them , forget it ..

11 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Whilst I share your sentiments I fear there is little chance of that.

After all, what’s the point of giving up all the fun things in life if you can’t be a virtue signaling, sanctimonious tosspot on an anonymous Internet forum.

Let them preach, it’s all they have left ????

While i can see your the alcie side of the story you don't seem to get the story of us non fun people. We just want to prevent the health system from colapsing the infections are rising 4000 is now the new new. 

Doctors in Thailand are already talking about the colapse of the health system if this goes on. Yet you guys just because you want fun want to open up bars and invite an even more rapid spread.

Seems the alcie side of the argument is an irresponsible one. Not so strange as the drink and the ladies seems to the most important thing on their mind. 

I love everything to open up too but not with cases rising and doctors complaining it will collapse. I guess they don't know what they are saying and the jump in cases is irrelevant as long as the alcies are not denied their alcohol.

They could drink alone at home but nope they want to do it in bars and risk making everything far worse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

While i can see your the alcie side of the story you don't seem to get the story of us non fun people. We just want to prevent the health system from colapsing the infections are rising 4000 is now the new new. 

Doctors in Thailand are already talking about the colapse of the health system if this goes on. Yet you guys just because you want fun want to open up bars and invite an even more rapid spread.

Seems the alcie side of the argument is an irresponsible one. Not so strange as the drink and the ladies seems to the most important thing on their mind. 

I love everything to open up too but not with cases rising and doctors complaining it will collapse. I guess they don't know what they are saying and the jump in cases is irrelevant as long as the alcies are not denied their alcohol.

They could drink alone at home but nope they want to do it in bars and risk making everything far worse.

I'll drink to that.????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1