COVID-19: Thailand reports 51 more deaths and 3,174 new cases

webfact

13 minutes ago, watgate said:

I would like to know how many of these deaths are because of the flu and not the corona virus.

You meant the WhuFlu right?                        I am the furthest thing from an expert on this but I always thought that in the past, pre corona virus pandemic, there were a lot of deaths attributed to the regular flu which came each year and which one could be vaccinated for. I am just wondering, if this is correct, then how many of the deaths we are reading about on a daily basis are directly attributed to the flu as opposed to the corona virus. I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden the flu has mysteriously disappeared.                                                                                                                      

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Frantic search for more beds in Bangkok to treat rising number of Covid-19 patients

“The inadequacy of hospital beds has resulted in the department’s bed allotment system via hotline 1668 becoming extremely backed up,” Somsak said.

“The department is working with all related parties to find new beds for Covid-19 patients as soon as possible,” he added.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40002350

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Frantic search for more beds in Bangkok to treat rising number of Covid-19 patients

“The inadequacy of hospital beds has resulted in the department’s bed allotment system via hotline 1668 becoming extremely backed up,” Somsak said.

“The department is working with all related parties to find new beds for Covid-19 patients as soon as possible,” he added.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40002350

What's happened to all those field hospital camps ? 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, huangnon said:

I think he means the normal everyday flu, colds, bronchitis, pneumonia, pleurisy, etc, that magically disappeared in 2020?

Thanks but my initial post to him was sarcasm at it's best for the morning cup of coffee.  I then responded with information to get him up to speed on the why...Enjoy your day.  Covid is wandering in the hallways, we just have to learn how to avoid it by using all of the tools we have been given.

18 minutes ago, Excel said:

What's happened to all those field hospital camps ? 

I believe they may be full, not sure if they are putting Thai Nationals or affected migrant workers in the Hospitels.....

12 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

So no ICU beds left.  If you need one you won't get one, period.  For any reason.

Sounds like a lovely place for a holiday.  

I think ICU beds are still available at private hospitals (the article referred to "state" hospitals) so presumably tourists will be fully insured and be treated there.  Until those beds are full!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the Covid bed this morning when you saw that the numbers were what they were and decided to filet everyone.....nowhere did he deny covid, he asked a question and I made a sarcastic comment at first, but then enlightened him with some information.  Something you could have also done.  Covid precautions and the way we are treating it with social distancing etc... is a prime reason it has decreased......try and be someone who rides the middle rail and see's both sides of the equation.  Well, I know that's hard, but I have learned.

We get a lot of posters here who start off with having questions, but then developing into full blown Deniers if anyone takes their bait. If this poster really woke up this morning wondering why numbers of flu victims is lower now, despite social distancing and face masks, then I am sorry for doubting him. But normally these posters move to “Covid is the same as the flu, it’s all a hoax” quickly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I stupidly overlooked the fact that ICU beds are also needed for road accidents etc.

You don't need tourists at this time. 

Apart for covid positive cases the capacity of ICU care is paramount.

That would certainly be a factor if waging a war against the virus with the intention of controlling it and reducing cases.

Maybe the authorities just over looked it. But I feel they have simply relegated the objective of virus control to a lower priority in order to focus on tourists who spend money.

1 minute ago, wensiensheng said:

That would certainly be a factor if waging a war against the virus with the intention of controlling it and reducing cases.

Maybe the authorities just over looked it. But I feel they have simply relegated the objective of virus control to a lower priority in order to focus on tourists who spend money.

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to increase ICU capacity in Thailand.

I'm familiar with Oz but no idea re Thailand

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

Thailand has more new infections than France today. Soon, Thailand will overtake the US in infections per day, if the current trend continues.

And now let's do the math.  

With the new variants, two doses are required not one previously that north america has by and large enjoyed to this point.  One dose is only 30 percent effective against it which is far from ideal.

By my calculations, ten million doses a month will do it.  And you need that many every month to get to 2 doses of sixty million people.  It's a grim thought but that's the way that it is.  

Thailand is nowhere near ten million doses a month.  

What this means is there is no way that I'll be going there this high season.  Not a single chance.  

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

And now for something completely different:

Mexico simply lives with the virus. Bars are open. Shops are open.

The number of infections is typically a few thousand per day, but they don’t test much. Hospitals occasionally are swamped. Most people die at home. Few are vaccinated.

Perhaps this is the model for Thailand.

Well there when you get sick and you are poor you just die on the street.

Go for it1

16 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

We get a lot of posters here who start off with having questions, but then developing into full blown Deniers if anyone takes their bait. If this poster really woke up this morning wondering why numbers of flu victims is lower now, despite social distancing and face masks, then I am sorry for doubting him. But normally these posters move to “Covid is the same as the flu, it’s all a hoax” quickly.

Take a deep breath D man.  Relax and do not get your chest all puffed out.  He is an old member of TV but appears t have just started posting not long ago, well according to his avatar count he is.  Did you even notice the response he made to my linking information for him to read.  Someone as you claim he could be would never, well i can not say never, more than most likely will not be what you just posted.  Enjoy the day and stay safe.

• Thanks 1