Vaccine fiasco

On 6/25/2021 at 8:07 AM, jesimps said:

I wouldn't trust any local in this country apart from the wife and daughter. There's no accountability, it's like the wild west. Before any of the "if you don't like it you can always leave" idiots pipe up, I do like it here, but I do retain the right to criticise when I feel the need.

I'm British and I trust my government,  the scientists, the police and the covid wardens.

On 6/25/2021 at 11:04 AM, bert bloggs said:

When i had mine the batch no was sent to mor prom. It was az by the way

Same.  Where to plug that in on the inter web though?    I see a US site for checking expiration but not a general lot number look up tool.

4 hours ago, khunPer said:

Those for second jab normally get a fixed date for their next appointment, not just showing up on any date.

In my Scandinavian home country, which is supposed to be in the World's leads, it's not that transparent either, and vaccination program has been postponed several times, Thailand is not so bad with transparency...????

By the way, I was vaccinated at same place today as OP talks about, very professional service from gate and all the way through...????

That's great.  I hope it wasn't the Sinovac.

Good thing you got your vaccines as they'll be 8 million short next month according to Thai PBS World News this evening.

"Next month will be critical for the Thai health system, because hospitals will be overwhelmed and there won’t be enough beds to accommodate the increasing number of COVID-19 patients. Worse still, only about half of the 15 million doses of vaccines expected for the July will actually arrive, according to the Rural Doctor Society RDS).

In its Facebook post today (Sunday), the RDS said that COVID-19 infections are spreading, not just in Bangkok but in several other provinces as well, straining the healthcare system to the extent that patients have outnumbered hospital beds, resulting in them being kept at home awaiting admission."

June 27, 2021 2:46 PM

On 6/24/2021 at 9:42 PM, khunPer said:

They were probably told, what to say.

The vaccine deliveries are little late, just like in Europe, so nothing special compared to "more developed" countries; they go on extended the final date for having vaccinated all (that want's it) in my Nordic home country by two weeks several times, due to vaccine shortness, last time only a weeks ago

...????

It might be a good idea that your Thai wife voices her complaint to the PM and ask him what the hell is going on or would that cause to much trouble for herself and family .I live on Phangan only a small island compered to Samui and I booked a month ago for my jab and still no appointment even though the vaccination centre at the hospital doesn’t look that busy they are aware that I’m over 70 .My Thai lady friend is due hers on the 5th July but tells me she has changed her mind maybe I should take her and see if they will let me have her vaccine she fears she will be given the Chinese vaccine which doesn’t say a lot seeing that she herself is half Chinese !

12 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

That's great.  I hope it wasn't the Sinovac.

Sinovac is Okay and approved by WHO, but us old folks got AZ...????

And my shoulder hurts a lot, unfortunately not the shoulder the kind nurse jabbed the AZ into, but the other one, so it must be mouse-damage from too much Thaivisa surfing...????

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, crazykopite said:

It might be a good idea that your Thai wife voices her complaint to the PM and ask him what the hell is going on or would that cause to much trouble for herself and family .I live on Phangan only a small island compered to Samui and I booked a month ago for my jab and still no appointment even though the vaccination centre at the hospital doesn’t look that busy they are aware that I’m over 70 .My Thai lady friend is due hers on the 5th July but tells me she has changed her mind maybe I should take her and see if they will let me have her vaccine she fears she will be given the Chinese vaccine which doesn’t say a lot seeing that she herself is half Chinese !

I'm unfortunately - or luckily, depending on the viewer's angle - not married, but perhaps OP's wife that is complaining should voice it to khun Chan-o-cha...????

Vaccination of foreigners on the islands seemed to be a question of immigration, as people in the beginning commuted from the mainland and registered for vaccine on Samui, which cause the first lot of vaccination of foreigner from June 1st till about June 9th were cancelled.

They might continue with Pangan's foreigners now, when they have finished on Samui. Immigration officers here did both an on-line pre-registration via an app, plus physical registration on the vaccination site; i.e. checking passport and that your registered address was on Samui...????

I took a chance and just turned up at the university just after 12pm. Staff gave me a registration form, directed me across the road to get passport copies and told me to fill in form. As form in mainly in Thai, someone there to help.

Process all went smoothly, and by 12:40 was sitting in the queue to get my first vaccination. Jab done by 1:15pm.

Staff have all been helpful. Just done the 15 minute wait and leaving now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Staff have all been helpful.

I agree with you.

Sadly we foreigners did not cover ourselves in glory yesterday.

At yesterday morning's session, a few had very loud 'strops' and argued with the staff about their vaccination being late. "But my appointment was at 08.30 - it is now 10.00."

(It took the staff  a while to set everything up and then Anutin turned up for his political play time.)

Then friends at the afternoon session were not happy about a large crown of foreigners who were not prepared to queue and wait but tried to 'storm' the session when the first batch were asked to go forward.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

Everything is always better "before"!        ????

Sure, good old days are always better...????

However, not all of us are living in the past, so much on Samui is much better now than before – I'm sorry if I'm spoiling the nice image of the glorious past time, where everything indeed was better...????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I agree with you.

Sadly we foreigners did not cover ourselves in glory yesterday.

At yesterday morning's session, a few had very loud 'strops' and argued with the staff about their vaccination being late. "But my appointment was at 08.30 - it is now 10.00."

(It took the staff  a while to set everything up and then Anutin turned up for his political play time.)

Then friends at the afternoon session were not happy about a large crown of foreigners who were not prepared to queue and wait but tried to 'storm' the session when the first batch were asked to go forward.

I was there with check-in time at 12 noon, indeed bad behavior by some, arguing loud and rushing in front of people that had politely been waiting in the line - but some seems to be more important than others, or at least they think so...????

• Like 1

Every time I read one of these it astounds me that anyone can favor health care run by the government.  The private system is not perfect and many of its problems can be traced to government interference and collusion with the health care industry to conceal pricing, remove competition, and put government in control.  I can think of no more disastrous way to provide any service but to assign it to someone who doesn't care if I get the service, has no motivation to provide good service, and knows I can't go anywhere else to obtain it.  The Veterans Administration in the USA is a prime example.  It is a huge bureaucracy, bloated with administration, and it provides poor care.  Like most government agencies it has no incentive to provide efficient service.  Quite the opposite, the more it spends the bigger its budget the next year.   In the OP case, the workers know they can just not provide service, knowing the patient has no other choice. 

Political Cartoons - Dana Summers - Government run health care is working!  - Washington Times

1 hour ago, huberthammer said:

It sadly is always the same complainers who give us a bad name. It was the same on Sunday as it is in the supermarkets, banks, restaurants, really everywhere.

Bunch of old chaps sat next to me being <deleted> off that they had to fill out a form "we gave all that information already online" (which is completely incorrect on top of it). They then continued complaining about non organisation (which again was fake news) only to miss the instructions to move on to the next station because they were so focused on complaining.

I used to try to reason with these people in the past, after many fruitless attempts I just moved on to tell the Thai people to ignore them and that they annoy us as much as them with their negativity and rudeness.

It was a well organised machine which was only slightly disrupted at the beginning which was most likely caused by so many people ignoring their appointment time and coming first thing in the morning. Well done to all involved organisations.

Isn't that the main problem at airport IO's too. Entry or Exit cards not filled in.. Etc, 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/25/2021 at 8:07 AM, jesimps said:

I wouldn't trust any local in this country apart from the wife and daughter. There's no accountability, it's like the wild west. Before any of the "if you don't like it you can always leave" idiots pipe up, I do like it here, but I do retain the right to criticise when I feel the need.

I second that.