Will booster jab offer better protection against variants?

4AAE670D-A989-4C6D-BEFC-1780CEFBBCCB.png

Although only about 10 percent of Thailand’s adult population has had a COVID-19 jab so far, moves to find “booster” doses are already underway.

Only two brands of vaccine are currently available in Thailand, AstraZeneca and Sinovac, and both require two doses for full inoculation. However, the emergence of several variants of the virus is putting even fully vaccinated people at risk.

Hence, medical experts say it may be time for Thailand to consider providing a booster.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/will-booster-jab-offer-better-protection-against-variants/

Logo-top-.png

Well, according to Einstein, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. There are reasons a vaccine does not work well.

However in the real world there may be some boost.  The better answer is a better and more targeted vaccine.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

wait, the first dose will be done sometimes in october.

The second dose sometimes in early spring.

So far 106mln doses ordered, but nobody knows if and when they will come.

Hopefully the second one might be mrna or any different one, from the first.

vax are being (or suppose to be) constantly tweeked for new strains.

Takes 6 weeks developing, after that probably some testing.

But probably concentrating more on turning up volume of the existing ones.

those vax made within a year are not and can't be perfect (or even good).

Developing any vax takes some 10 years. Dengvaxia for dengue was worked on for 20 years, and is still not great. 

Edited by internationalism
  • Sad 1

There is no doubt that specially developed boosters are needed, not repeats of vaccines that were developed to fight the original Wuhan variant. Israel clearly shows that even the Pfizer vaccine is not capable of preventing new infections amongst those who are already fully vaccinated, because it is noticeably less effective against the Delta variant. So Isreal is already reimposing strong restrictions of its fully & non vaccinated population. Thailand is so far behind the curve and is using second and third rate vaccines which are not going to begin to match the protection levels in Israel. So we can only sit and watch as the third wave becomes the fourth as the Delta and Beta variants spread rapidly amongst us, to be soon followed by the Delta+ and others. The future looks bleak.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rabas said:

Well, according to Einstein, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. There are reasons a vaccine does not work well.

However in the real world there may be some boost.  The better answer is a better and more targeted vaccine.

I guess that the Moderna and Pfizer boosters will also become the vaccines for those who haven't had any. The Moderna booster in trials concerns the South African variant:

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-announces-positive-initial-booster-data-against-sars-cov

There is a clinical trial in the US: Delayed Heterologous SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine Dosing (Boost) After Receipt of EUA Vaccines

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04889209 

This is a more inclusive trial of the sort run in the UK involving various permutations of AZ and Pfizer. Monitoring is for 12 months. It runs until 2025 so as to include more vaccines as they get EUA.

I haven't heard about an AZ vaccine update. As for J&J, there is some thinking that a booster is needed because of the Indian a/k/a Delta variant.

• Like 2

Will booster jab offer better protection against variants?

Booster jabs will offer better protection for Big Pharma's new found source of every-lasting wealth - that's for sure!

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

A report in the papers today says that a lot of the newly infected have had two jabs,including the ones who died.

It will be interesting to see what happens after the euro21 final,Wimbledon and the festival season.

If you have health issues you still need to take care even after two jabs,you can still get the virus and it may kill you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, internationalism said:

those vax made within a year are not and can't be perfect (or even good).

Developing any vax takes some 10 years.

Sorry, you're wrong. New technology (mRNA) has reduced the time to develop a new vaccine from years to months. 10 years ago it took 10 years. Now it takes just a few months.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, adammike said:

A report in the papers today says that a lot of the newly infected have had two jabs,including the ones who died.

You have a link from a reputable source for that? From what I've seen, the people dying in the US currently are the unvaccinated. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Sorry, you're wrong. New technology (mRNA) has reduced the time to develop a new vaccine from years to months. 10 years ago it took 10 years. Now it takes just a few months.

the majority available are not mrna. And those few are just for emergency, still in phase 3.

So no producers, nor any government, gives any compensation if tits up.

non of them in thailand till end of year.

the thing with new technologies, they might have unexpected side effects

4 hours ago, internationalism said:

the majority available are not mrna. And those few are just for emergency, still in phase 3.

Still pushing the anti-vax <deleted>, are we?

I have received both jabs of the Pfizer vaccine. I would not take the Chinese <deleted> they are trying to push in Thailand, or even the AZ vaccine. If I was stuck in Thailand I would fly somewhere I could get a rmRNA vaccine. And I will take the unexpected side effects anytime when the alternative is dying from the virus. Current known side effects for mRNA vaccines have affected about 1200 out of 300 million doses given. And of those 1200, side effects were minimal and most if not all recovered in a short time. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gargamon said:

You have a link from a reputable source for that? From what I've seen, the people dying in the US currently are the unvaccinated. 

I don't have a link,it was in the guardian newspaper.possibly behind a pay wall.things are changing fast,there are no hard fast facts as far as the new variants are concerned the scientists are learning as they go along.

I have a few relatives and friends who say the COVID pandemic, is more than just a  pandemic.  It is more like a reset switch, or a human, and likely animal cull.     Unfortunately, it looks like the poor populations in the world will lose more people than the rich part of the rich countries.  One reason is because of the lack of vaccines being given to their populations.  I have not heard of how bad the refugee camps in various countries are doing.         Of course there are still lots of people dying of many other diseases, and of drug overdoses, and other deaths.   All in all though there has been a lot of people who have died from the COVID virus, and its many variants. 

I find it strange that there are still so many people who do not want any kind of vaccine, and I think that all countries should make it mandatory to get the vaccine, or be told that you cannot leave your country to travel to any other country.

Then maybe the hold out,  anti vaxxers will wake up to the fact that they can stay in their own country for the

rest of their lives.  After all we do not need any Typhoid Marys,  existing in this modern world.

Geezer

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I have a few relatives and friends who say the COVID pandemic, is more than just a  pandemic.

It is more like a reset switch, or a human, and likely animal cull.     Unfortunately, it looks like the poor

populations in the world will lose more people than the rich part of the rich countries.  One reason is because of the lack

of vaccines being given to their populations.  I have not heard of how bad the refugee camps in various countries are doing.                                                                                 Of course there are still lots of people dying of many other diseases, and of drug overdoses, and other deaths.                                                                                                    All in all though there has been a lot of people who have died from the COVID virus, and its many variants. 

I find it strange that there are still so many people who do not want any kind of vaccine, and I think that all countries

should make it mandatory to get the vaccine, or be told that you cannot leave your country to travel to any other country.

Then maybe the hold out,  anti vaxxers will wake up to the fact that they can stay in their own country for the

rest of their lives.  After all we do not need any Typhoid Marys,  existing in this modern world.

Geezer

As more even more infectious and deadly mutations arise, there will be countries which will require vaccination for all except those who cannot be vaccinated for valid reasons. Those people would probably end up in quarantine

20 hours ago, gargamon said:

I have received both jabs of the Pfizer vaccine. I would not take the Chinese <deleted> they are trying to push in Thailand, or even the AZ vaccine. If I was stuck in Thailand I would fly somewhere I could get a rmRNA vaccine. And I will take the unexpected side effects anytime when the alternative is dying from the virus. Current known side effects for mRNA vaccines have affected about 1200 out of 300 million doses given. And of those 1200, side effects were minimal and most if not all recovered in a short time. 

Pfizer and Moderna Vaccines Likely to Produce Lasting Immunity, Study Finds

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/pfizer-and-moderna-vaccines-likely-to-produce-lasting-immunity-study-finds/ar-AALwIVD?li=BBnb7Kz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2021 at 12:13 PM, adammike said:

I don't have a link,it was in the guardian newspaper.possibly behind a pay wall.things are changing fast,there are no hard fast facts as far as the new variants are concerned the scientists are learning as they go along.

"the scientists are learning as they go along."

Pretty much the definition of science unlike something like say, theology.

Science is always subject to correction.

On 6/28/2021 at 1:50 AM, gargamon said:

no, since march this year I had 8 different vax at cost some 15k.

I will get japanese encelo and boosters of those already taken very shortly.

I am still hunting for tuberculosis, which I had last time 7 years ago.

I had full 3 dengvaxia and wish for a booster.

They are all tested vax, used for tens of years by billions.

All covid vax are only experimental, for emergency situation. If tits up anytime from now to many years, no any insurance covers it. The most would be emergency medical care.

I am healthy, below 60 and I have large stock of anti covid medications, some taken daily.

So you are shouting at the wrong tree. Stop swearing. I am in thailand, don't  tell me what I should or shouldn't do - you are not entitled by your  ignorance 

21 minutes ago, internationalism said:

no, since march this year I had 8 different vax at cost some 15k.

I will get japanese encelo and boosters of those already taken very shortly.

I am still hunting for tuberculosis, which I had last time 7 years ago.

I had full 3 dengvaxia and wish for a booster.

They are all tested vax, used for tens of years by billions.

All covid vax are only experimental, for emergency situation. If tits up anytime from now to many years, no any insurance covers it. The most would be emergency medical care.

I am healthy, below 60 and I have large stock of anti covid medications, some taken daily.

So you are shouting at the wrong tree. Stop swearing. I am in thailand, don't  tell me what I should or shouldn't do - you are not entitled by your  ignorance 

I think your multi-vaccine strategy is very resourceful.

I am guessing that each vaccination stimulates the generalized immune response as well as stimulating the specific response to the antigen that the vaccination is for.

Good thinking, original thinking as well.

they also prevent co-infection with the other viruses, bacteria, fungus, which cause post-covid complications. 

Much more difficult to treat multiple infections.

For prevnar13 I had to lie that I am smoker, after being refused at travel clinic. Better to take them now, even before recommended age, then wait for covid vax. Most of those vax cover for up to 10 years. I will get boosters at earliest possible time, I will have 4 within  a year