Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

PHOTOS: French expats in Thailand receive COVID-19 vaccinations

Jonathan Fairfield

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My guess is that it is a lot harder for the British Embassy to vaccinate its citizens than for the French Embassy. 

There are a lot more British People in Thailand than French - Thus it is easier to provide vaccines for a smaller number of people whereby they can be vaccinated at a single location (clinic or hospital).

Additionally, British are consummate whingers... the moment the British Embassy announces that it will vaccinate over 55 year olds... Anyone under 55 complain why only those over 55 years old... then others complain why not also those in high risk groups below 55 years old....  then others complain that people outside of Bangkok around Thailand cannot get to Bangkok to receive the vaccine & why couldn’t the British Embassy do a better job of distribution. 

There is no right answer, but I do know that whatever the British Embassy choses to do there will be an extremely vocal majority complaining that its not good enough. 

Its not good enough.

The Chinese managed to get their citizens vaccinated here in Thailand. Or do you believe there are more Brits than Chinese here?

Im sure there will be French nationals asking "Why only over 55's" if they do not qualify but of course its a uniquely British trait that only we complain.

So there is a right answer. Get all British citizens living overseas vaccinated. So long as they can produce evidence that they still pay UK tax.

After all we dont want any scroungers getting it do we?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vadid said:

The UK government would do the same if they could work out a way they could make a tidy profit out of it.

It is a disgrace that the UK haven't organised a similar programme. 

In the UK people were vaccinated in a logical order which was followed for all people in the UK regardless of race, colour or religion

Prime Minister advised all expats to register locally where they were staying in Thailand. I went to the local hospital in my home town, lived there for almost 15 years, age 78, and really got a two word response. Only Thais! Amazing Thailand, Land of Cock Ups!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, robblok said:

I doubt its feasible for my country not enough Dutch people around.

Stop making excuses..... surely fewer people should be easier to set up, given the commitment. Even only if available in Bangkok, it could work for those keen to pursue it. 

Fair do's to the French and shame on other European Countries making excuses.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, peterpaintpot said:

n the UK people were vaccinated in a logical order which was followed for all people in the UK regardless of race, colour or religion

Yeah...even philandering Health Ministers are eligible 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Stop making excuses..... surely fewer people should be easier to set up, given the commitment. Even only if available in Bangkok, it could work for those keen to pursue it. 

Fair do's to the French and shame on other European Countries making excuses.

No excuses just valid reasons, the French and the Brits have a huge expat scene the Dutch far less so the per person charges would be far higher for the government. Id love for them to bring some vaccines over but i doubt it. I do wonder if the French do it in other countries too.

Just now, robblok said:

No excuses just valid reasons, the French and the Brits have a huge expat scene the Dutch far less so the per person charges would be far higher for the government. Id love for them to bring some vaccines over but i doubt it. I do wonder if the French do it in other countries too.

There is nothing to prevent Holland joining forces with another EU nation to get vaccines to both nations citizens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I bet they are taking care of people in New Caledonia....

Caribbean being done....

https://www.caribbeannewsglobal.com/british-and-french-overseas-territories-commence-covid-19-vaccination-psas/

6 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Less than one week after the French Embassy in Bangkok announced plans to vaccinate its nationals aged over 55 in Thailand, French expats began receiving the vaccine on Saturday (June 27)

Best of luck to them... I wish every one of them well

UK and Thai/ambassador you can hang your head in shame...

treat your expats like outcasts.

• Like 2

Well whatever the motivations of the French (and as an Englishman they are of course suspect, especially as they involve doing the opposite of "Les Anglo Saxons"!) well done to them.

Unfortunately, we cannot gather together to sing:

"Oh a Frenchman went to the Embassy,

but he found no vaccine there!

Oh a Frenchman went to the Embassy,

but he found no vaccine there!

Ou est, la vaccine eh?

Ou est la vaccine eh?

Oh a Frenchman went to the Embassy,

But he found no vaccine there!"

I do recall a similar ditty being sung at a Rugby International at the "Stade de France" some years ago. It was followed by a memorable night on the town, supervised by a couple of genial if somewhat bemused gendarmes!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

the French government have only done it to make other countries look inferior, rather than help their own people

A French National in Thailand who gets his J&J jab, will not care. 

He will also have been 'helped'.....

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

There is nothing to prevent Holland joining forces with another EU nation to get vaccines to both nations citizens.

I think there were discussion between EU ambassies, but as a result, maybe the others didn't want to do it 

To answer Roblok, in the first page, there is a link which says that they do it also in South Africa ; Macron said that they will vaccinate French expats in every countries where vaccination has problems ( as in Thailand ) ; but not everybody, 2.5 millions expats, it means much money to spend 

I am sure that here, "renting " 8 Bangkok hospitals must cost a lot of money !

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Its not good enough.

The Chinese managed to get their citizens vaccinated here in Thailand. Or do you believe there are more Brits than Chinese here?

Im sure there will be French nationals asking "Why only over 55's" if they do not qualify but of course its a uniquely British trait that only we complain.

So there is a right answer. Get all British citizens living overseas vaccinated. So long as they can produce evidence that they still pay UK tax.

After all we dont want any scroungers getting it do we?

What has their current  tax status  got to do with their past tax payments? What does tax have to do with citizenship? What do either have to do with disease prevention?  Nationally has nothing  to do prevention of communicable diseases. If we start differentiating on the spurious basis of taxes or residency or citizenship then we are racing to the bottom  of the barrel. I would prefer to be in the  company  of a vaccinated 'scrounger' than one infected with covid.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

How many "new Ausies" are entering Australia every day? And what does Australia's immigration policy got to do with Aussies living in Thailand? And do you pay tax the the Australian government? None, I bet. They owe you nothing. 

Gallipoli. Mateship.

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Why should they? We turned our backs on our mother country in the hope of having a better life here and when things go tits up we criticize them because they don't help us. Will 'GoFundMe' help?

Speak for yourself you don't speak for  us

3 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

All made possible by the Americans that liberated them from Nazi Germany. As I have many American relatives that fought for their freedom in WWI and WWII let me be the first to say "you're welcome"...

Er The English and Canadians had a hand in the Liberation of France  and the defeat of Nazism was largely  down to Russian sacrifices.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vadid said:

The UK government would do the same if they could work out a way they could make a tidy profit out of it.

Yeah after all they have only

jabbed around 80 million free so far. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago,  John Drake said: 

What France (and China) are doing is gaining influence. Certainly at the cost of the US and UK.

I have just sent an email to the Prime Minister via the cabinet office, you are allowed a maximum of a 1000 characters, enough to get the point across, I also informed them that the Bangkok hospital group has hospitals in 40 major cities in Thailand & reminded them that they have promised spare vaccines to poorer countries and that we should be included ????

I don't however expect a response, so get on yer keyboards people ????????????????

Can you pls include a link to the Cabinet Office address?

Much appreciated.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

My guess is that it is a lot harder for the British Embassy to vaccinate its citizens than for the French Embassy. 

There are a lot more British People in Thailand than French - Thus it is easier to Distribute a smaller number vaccines for a smaller number to hospitals at major locations (i.e. Chiang Mai, Samui etc).

Additionally, British are consummate whingers... the moment the British Embassy announces that it will vaccinate over 55 year olds... Anyone under 55 complain why only those over 55 years old... then others complain why not also those in high risk groups below 55 years old....  then others complain that people outside of Bangkok around Thailand cannot get to the major locations receive the vaccine & why couldn’t the British Embassy do a better job of distribution. 

There is no right answer, but I do know that whatever the British Embassy choses to do there will be an extremely vocal majority complaining that its not good enough. 

Far from being whingers British  people are known for their uncomplaining stoicism and unwillingness  to make a fuss which is one reason they are in such a predicament  currently.  Your clichéd view is perhaps  a reflection  of your own character. It's says nothing about the British  people  I know or of the culture of the British  people historically. The nation that organised Dunkirk, contributed  to the Berlin airlift and recently organized  a successful  immunization  program in Great Britain  could help expats but there  is no political  capital in it. Expats in the eyes of UK voters  are more undesirable than illegal  immigrants  and get less help even after  paying taxes  for decades.

The French Embassy is just making matters worse for everyone else with this. Now the Thai government is going to be thinking why should we vaccinate foreigners when their embassies are doing it for them? What the French should have done is put more pressure on the Thai government to vaccinate on the basis of need like the German Embassy did.

• Thanks 1