Sinovac vaccine has 71-91% efficacy against COVID-19 Alpha variant – MOPH

snoop1130

On 6/28/2021 at 6:20 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Who cares about Alpha (B.1.1.7 variant first identified in the UK)…  all the vaccines perform well against that. 

Delta is where it’s at !!  Specifically B.1.617.2….    This the variant generating the greatest concern at the moment. 

The announcement is almost irrelevant as the Delta starts to take a greater hold. 

FYI re: the efficacy of the Moderna vaccine against the Delta variants; story just came out today. Not conclusive as the tests are in a lab setting and need further review, but it is promising.

Moderna shares rise after it says Covid vaccine shows promise in a lab setting against variants, including delta (cnbc.com)

13 hours ago, raccos21 said:

Story just came out today re: the effectiveness of the Moderna vaccine against the Delta variants. Not conclusive as tests are in a lab setting and need further review. But it is promising...so far.

Moderna shares rise after it says Covid vaccine shows promise in a lab setting against variants, including delta (cnbc.com)

14 hours ago, placeholder said:

This is from that Wall Street Journal article you linked to:

"Around 90% of Indonesian doctors—roughly 160,000 in all—have been vaccinated with Sinovac’s shot, according to the medical association, so the vaccinated doctors who died are only a tiny percentage of the total."

There's also this:

"...So far in June, 26 doctors have died."

26/160000 = 0.0001625

I do not know how many Sinovac doses will Thailand use.  It was reported Thailand has received 10 million so far.

Let us assume it will eventually get 20 million doses, for 10 million people.

0.0001625 x 10000000 = 1625

So, when the country reopens, with 10 million sinovac vaccine recipients, 1625 people may die, every month.

When the country is closed, which is the current status, the average monthly covid deaths is about 900.

With 900 deaths a month, many foreigners residing in Thailand are in panic.  What will they do if it reaches 1625 a month? ????

Edited by hwt

3 hours ago, josthomz said:

Your calculations are meaningless. 

To begin with you are extrapolating data from Indonesia into Thailand, which as far as I know are two very different countries impacted in very different ways by COVID-19. 

Second of all you are extrapolating data from the medical community into the general public. They treat those sick with COVID-19, prevalence of COVID-19 among the medical community (doctors, nurses, hospital staf,…) has always been way higher than among the general public. And let’s not even talk about viral load. 

Let's see what happens in the next one year, if Thailand were to open its borders.  I am interested in knowing if I am right or wrong.  But I am not going to gamble with 1000 dollars. ????

You are assuming what those doctors faced will not exist in the community.  And you are assuming their deaths are directly related to their possibly higher exposure to the virus.  Shall see how valid these assumptions are when Thailand opens up again.  Not saying you are wrong or talking nonsense.  You are making a conclusion based on assumptions like I do.

You should be aware that opening up the country means no quarantine, and negligible or no test, because with these two, you can foresee the tourism industry to be as dead as it is now.  Without these, there are likely to be lot's of infected people in the community with various levels of severity.  Get a massage, the interaction with an infected person may be much more intense and longer than what a doctor has, and without a mask or a shield.

As a person who comes from a science/engineering background, I do not eliminate a possibility without concrete proof that it is invalid.  Anything that is not proven invalid is *likely* to be valid to me, especially if it has happened elsewhere.  Completely eliminating a possibility by guessing the correlation between various events, which is not well understood, is very risky.

Edited by hwt

17 hours ago, Sig said:

If you actually bothered to read the article you'd understand what it means.... Always a good idea to read before commenting and wasting space on the board....

Reading, understanding and thinking about what that means are different things.

Would you agree that if they would do a study with 500 people in Samui right now (less than 10 cases the last weeks) they probably would find out that it is super efficacious at 100%.

Then it's efficacious between 71% and 100% ?

The article did not say anything about how many people where testet.

5000 with 71% eff, 100 with 91% ? 

Explain to me what these numbers are telling us ?

Edited by Robs5ct

On 6/28/2021 at 8:10 PM, edwardandtubs said:

The numbers are absolutely meaningless. Was this actually a double-blind placebo-controlled trial or another pointless look at the number of antibodies. These Thai studies have absolutely no credibility anymore.

Thai credibility is an oxymoron.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 10:57 AM, Eric Loh said:

USA does have the luxury of not authorising Sinovac for use as the country has the capacity to produced enough doses of Pfizer, Moderna and JJ vaccines to cover its own citizens. USA is flushed with vaccines that they didn't even find the need to authorise AstraZeneca for use. 

AstraZeneca said some time ago that they would not apply to US for EUA but instead would gather more data and apply for full licensing.

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2021 at 6:58 AM, hwt said:

Let's see what happens in the next one year, if Thailand were to open its borders.  I am interested in knowing if I am right or wrong.  But I am not going to gamble with 1000 dollars. ????

You are assuming what those doctors faced will not exist in the community.  And you are assuming their deaths are directly related to their possibly higher exposure to the virus.  Shall see how valid these assumptions are when Thailand opens up again.  Not saying you are wrong or talking nonsense.  You are making a conclusion based on assumptions like I do.

You should be aware that opening up the country means no quarantine, and negligible or no test, because with these two, you can foresee the tourism industry to be as dead as it is now.  Without these, there are likely to be lot's of infected people in the community with various levels of severity.  Get a massage, the interaction with an infected person may be much more intense and longer than what a doctor has, and without a mask or a shield.

As a person who comes from a science/engineering background, I do not eliminate a possibility without concrete proof that it is invalid.  Anything that is not proven invalid is *likely* to be valid to me, especially if it has happened elsewhere.  Completely eliminating a possibility by guessing the correlation between various events, which is not well understood, is very risky.

For someone who allgedly  "comes from a science/engineering background, you seem remarkably uninterested in look up research on the question of the risks health care workers run as compared to the general population. Had you done so, you might have found this:

Healthcare workers 7 times as likely to have severe COVID-19 as other workers

https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/healthcare-workers-7-times-as-likely-to-have-severe-covid-19-as-other-workers/

Risk of COVID-19 among front-line health-care workers and the general community: a prospective cohort study

image.png.80241881422eec7ee3144c6f746cc75e.png

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(20)30164-X/fulltext

Risk of COVID-19 among front-line health-care workers and the general community: a prospective cohort study

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(20)30164-X/fulltext