Sinovac vaccine has 71-91% efficacy against COVID-19 Alpha variant – MOPH

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

As I said, I agree. I was clarifying an crucial point that is often misunderstood, not being argumentative for the sake of it.

What exactly is the point of your reply to mine?

I guess because it's not really a crucial point except if you think it's crucial for people to have a correct understanding of the theory of evolution in order to appreciate the dangers posed by mutations.

My reading is that, while Sinovac isn't the best at stopping you from getting the virus at all, it is good at stopping it from affecting you badly or killing you.  So, my take is that it's worth having if it's all you can get.

We may well end up safer if we take more than one vaccine to cover a greater spread of variants once they are readily available.

• Like 2

Seriously? Each country needs to do their own studies... and throw a percentage with over 20% difference ? WOW that sounds professional. Get the jab and you are covered between x %. This is old news and available already since January. What we need is to research the new Delta and Delta Plus variant which vaccine is the most efficient. That would be money in research better spend. OH forgot it did not arrive YET in Thailand

4 minutes ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

51% Precent Efficacy Effectiveness or less of Sinovac Covid-19 Vaccination !! 

Brazil Covid: Deaths plunge after town's adults vaccinated

A Brazilian town has seen a 95% drop in Covid-19 deaths after almost all adults were vaccinated as part of an experiment, researchers say.

Serrana, with 45,000 inhabitants, saw cases plunge after a mass vaccination with the Chinese-developed CoronaVac.

The team said those who had not been vaccinated were also protected by the reduction in the virus's circulation.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-57309538

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

what with the repetetions and huge gobs of irrelevant data, it seems this text was created or relayed by a bot. Can you put the gist of this into your own words instead of violating thaivisa rules by copying way way more than 3 sentences.

And as overblown as your selection is, it doesnt' do much in addressing the question of how effective the vaccine is at reducing hospitalizations and deaths.

I lost interest after paragraph one!

14 hours ago, Shuya said:
14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

real world study

So the study did not take place in Thailand?

So where in your real world would you suggest these tests be made? The UK, US or some other country that doesn't use Chinese vaccines due to geopolitics and vaccine nationalism?

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

So where in your real world would you suggest these tests be made? The UK, US or some other country that doesn't use Chinese vaccines due to geopolitics and vaccine nationalism?

WHO has been very dubious of the Chinese vaccines, particularly Sinovac which only got approved recently. And the WHO still has some qualms. Why should the USA have accepted it?

14 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

just process the test result without challenging the test basis, as if any of you are qualified, despite throwing around trial method terms like you are experts..... 

result makes some sense as a brazilian trial had Sinovac at 100% effective against original covid death or hospital case.....

yes these test results are from non- western sources and are therefore unreliable.... but its good news if you chose to be optimistic & positive.

I prefer to be realistic

7 hours ago, Kadilo said:

What strong side effects?

Altogether initial side effects are far stronger than say for the flu vaccine.  At least 10% of people suffer a very harsh flu like illness and bad leg pain. Although most vaccines are safe more serious adverse effects have also been reported depending on the vaccine used. AZ, Moderna, and Pfizer appear very strong to me. 

A derogatory troll post has been removed also a cut and paste post which also violates this forum rule:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences

reading the reply's it is clear the world has been white washed, just wait till all the big facts start to come out all vaccines are dangerous, at this point I know it is going to take years for some major problems to start showing up but they will and no one will be able to sue anyone a favorite American past-time, even before anyone had a jab this was taken care of

10 minutes ago, placeholder said:

WHO has been very dubious of the Chinese vaccines, particularly Sinovac which only got approved recently. And the WHO still has some qualms. Why should the USA have accepted it?

USA does have the luxury of not authorising Sinovac for use as the country has the capacity to produced enough doses of Pfizer, Moderna and JJ vaccines to cover its own citizens. USA is flushed with vaccines that they didn't even find the need to authorise AstraZeneca for use. 

I have to say what does 71-91% effective mean? That is, in my way of thinking, impossible. I believe if the number was 78.97809% effective. I can believe that but how do you explain a big range? 

Secondly, I understand with this vaccine if you get the virus it will be like a 'cold' and no one dies.

Daily posts about the zillions of tourists who will be flooding into Phuket shortly, pockets stuffed with money! Free this and that, can now buy land, visa deals galore, etc. Baloney made from BS!

Most FAIRY TALES start with, "Once upon a time in a land far far away", = the deflections/Headlines are fooling nobody!

Get vaccines into everybody's arms, POOR people, ex pats, prisoners, even the rich elites! Thats what we all need to hear about. 

STOP making it so difficult to register.

10 minutes ago, ebean001 said:

I have to say what does 71-91% effective mean? That is, in my way of thinking, impossible. I believe if the number was 78.97809% effective. I can believe that but how do you explain a big range? 

Secondly, I understand with this vaccine if you get the virus it will be like a 'cold' and no one dies.

I want you to ascertain how reliable your predictions are. Did you buy your crystal ball on Lazada? Was it a brand name product or a Chinese knockoff?

Edited by placeholder

40 minutes ago, rabas said:

I would not argue except you state it is misleading to say 'a virus learns to circumvent the bodies immune response'.  It is not misleading in any way. I did not mention 'survival', you did, though even survival is not misleading. 

The mechanism by which 'successful' mutations dominate are broadly understood and not only occur in the body. We are watching the Indian-delta variant win out over UK-alpha as we speak in Bangkok.

According to the BP post this AM, delta has now increased to 25% over alpha in Bangkok.

As of this moment, Australia is going into complete chaos and lockdowns due to Delta, I have been watching the ABC live today. 

Thailand is seriously under vaccinated, Australia admits it should have rolled out faster and at this time politicians have become medical experts and are calling for everyone to rush out and be jabbed, NZ and Australia. 

Australia is asking people to go to their GP and get jabbed, they have a indemnity issue and they will have to grant doctors non liability to jab away. 

Since when are politicians, news broadcasters and media, experts at advising people to get jabbed with vaccines that are only approved for emergency use, and side effects in the coming weeks /months /years are not known by any person on this planet, as they haven't had time to happen yet. 

Their may well be a movie in the future to rival The Killing Fields. 

My wife and many of my friends have been talking to relatives who say they fear the situation in LOS is out of control. 

Schools shut, hospitals full, ICU's full, turning people away, then the escape from alcatraz, as construction workers flee throughout Thailand spreading the virus, just as songkran did and just as the illegal smuggling of the Myanmar workers did. 

No one held accountable for that. 

Get set get ready Go! Last one to the sandbox is a f__l

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

As of this moment, Australia is going into complete chaos and lockdowns due to Delta, I have been watching the ABC live today. 

Thailand is seriously under vaccinated, Australia admits it should have rolled out faster and at this time politicians have become medical experts and are calling for everyone to rush out and be jabbed, NZ and Australia. 

Australia is asking people to go to their GP and get jabbed, they have a indemnity issue and they will have to grant doctors non liability to jab away. 

Since when are politicians, news broadcasters and media, experts at advising people to get jabbed with vaccines that are only approved for emergency use, and side effects in the coming weeks /months /years are not known by any person on this planet, as they haven't had time to happen yet. 

Their may well be a movie in the future to rival The Killing Fields. 

My wife and many of my friends have been talking to relatives who say they fear the situation in LOS is out of control. 

Schools shut, hospitals full, ICU's full, turning people away, then the escape from alcatraz, as construction workers flee throughout Thailand spreading the virus, just as songkran did and just as the illegal smuggling of the Myanmar workers did. 

No one held accountable for that. 

Get set get ready Go! Last one to the sandbox is a f__l

It's the advice of these politicians at odds with the consensus of epidemiologists and virologists? I don't think so.

Edited by placeholder

Why don't you guys give this topic a rest , It had become to many TV. experts in the virological field during recent months, millions of doses are given around the world and all vaccins has been developed rapidly for emergency use, and common sense tells that incidents happens, and that happened even with vaccin that has been in use for a very long period of time. The only way to minimize the effects of Covid 19 is that every one should take the vaccin instead of scare people around you. Be happy and get your jabs and take care of your selves and we might se the end of the pandemic sooner than later...

• Like 2

If this Circus continues for much longer, i think i'm just gonna pack my bags and <deleted> of here. 
Thankfully, i don't own a lot here, neither do i have any  responsibilities to take care of. 
I know there are still limitations to where i can go, but there has to be better than this. I just don't feel like living life behind closed doors for the next goodness knows how long! 

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym removed.

1 hour ago, sambum said:

And what about AstraZeneca? Let's have a "real world study" (whatever that means) on the other only available vaccine in most of Thailand at the moment!

There's a couple of very good real world studies on AZ that are very credible, just that they are not done in Thailand

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

A real world study means a study under unmodified and  non manipulated conditions, as opposed to laboratory studies. It is upsetting that so many here have an opinion without understanding anything about medical studies and research (says me, MDPhD)

• Like 2

the doctor who completed his course in last place is still called........ “ Doctor”

so likewise for vax the key word in “approved for emergency use” is still...... “Approved”

” experimental “ ? no. another fearful anti - vaxx term.

all western vaxes have completed three phase scientific trials  y highly reputable western medical institutes like FDA (USA); the rapidity is possible with AI, unbelievably fast computing power & advanced medical techniques; allunheard of fifty years ago when vaccines took yes 8-10 years .

lets all move on shall we with logic & reason .......

One more time for those who don’t understand but still like to comment on medical research. This is a study under normal unmanipulated conditions as opposed to a study in a laboratory. It can be called an observational retrospective cohort study. Then look at the numbers. Ideally you want herd immunity for maximal (but still not 100%) protection. No country has vaccinated enough to have a herd immunity, even e.g. Chili with about 10 million or 54% completely vaccinated. So the virus still moves around in the unvaccinated but also in the vaccinated population, albeit to a lesser degree. If the vaccine offers a protection of 80% (which is not bad at all) then 20% of the vaccinated can still get infected. In Chili that means that 2 million of the vaccinated people (20% of the 10 million) can get the disease again. Then look at the numbers of those who get the disease second time. And also be aware that vaccinated people tend to feel themselves more secure and may be more careless. But realize the fact that after vaccination you will get less ill and can avoid an ICU or a graveyard.

11 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

You heard some terms before but really have no clue about research methods. How do you propose to run a real world trial (so not a controlled one with volunteers) with a placebo control group, and double blind none the less?  Imagine you’re having your two vaccinations, then 3 months later you get Covid and 3 months after that you were told that you were in the placebo group taking part in a trial. “Haha, Sucks to be you”. And what would your vaccination certificate say? “May or may not be vaccinated?”

We have to depend on studies done where the variant first appears, but unfortunately in this case that was India. People sophisticated enough to participate in a trial might get tested to see whether their blood is showing antibodies after the first jab, then if not go out and get vaccinated somewhere. Somehow I doubt that there is an effective vaccine registry to thwart such behavior.

2 hours ago, sambum said:

I asked my doctor which vaccine he would recommend, and he said "take whatever you can get"!

Just had one say take the AZ, nothing better is currently available.... then after 8-12 weeks, back it up with Moderna or Pfizer. 

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Public Health Ministry announced the results of a real world study of the efficacy of the Chinese-made Sinovac vaccine conducted in Thailand today

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The study was conducted in Phuket, Chiang Rai and Samut Sakhon during April and May, the peak of the spread of the Alpha strain of COVID-19 .

Now you know that Thailand Belongs to the Real world.