Thailand reports new daily record of 57 coronavirus deaths; 5,533 new cases

webfact

An attitude of "whatever will be will be" is what got us here in the first place.  Opening everything up is what leads you to an Indian / Indonesian situation.  And that's how you guarantee that the country is destroyed for years

• Like 1

You have to assume Thailand is 1 year behind the UK and falling further behind in vaccinations numbers etc

I think in 2 years time I will have called it a day. Like many others just grateful for great times in the past....Just imagine if your very first trip had been say in January 2020 and then...........

1 minute ago, phills2k1 said:

Well now you understand why so many of us had been pushing for a full lockdown prior to Songkran and in recent weeks. It was to prevent getting to the point where things are spreading uncontrollably and there could've been a return to some sort of normalcy sooner than later

But of course you were opposed to that as well

Do you really believe that cancelling Songkran would have meant Covid would never have spread like it is doing now? Maybe it accelerated it, but it would have happened eventually. It's a global pandemic and no country has been able to avoid it.   I'm certainly not in favour of a Chinese-style draconian lockdown although that would probably be effective in stopping the spread. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I do agree that vaccination is the long-term solution, but I very much doubt Thailand will achieve full vaccination for a long time, if ever. Mask wearing (effective or not) will be required here for a long, long time.  So you may as well just shut down the restaurant industry, and the bars and clubs for that matter.

I'm going to miss the massage ladies. Intellectual pursuits just don't make up for the loss somehow...

2 minutes ago, Enzian said:

I'm going to miss the massage ladies. Intellectual pursuits just don't make up for the loss somehow...

Actually, I think foot massage is still allowed, and nothing to prevent you asking for a private foot massage.

• Like 1

In every single thread, you mention a Chinese draconian lockdown when reminded that you were opposed to a lockdown. And in every thread, we point out that's not what everyone was supporting:

We were / are supporting a lockdown that took place in the US and Europe, where people were allowed to leave their homes for absolutely necessary local travel, essential places like markets, and outdoor exercise.

But sure, keep on ignoring this and focus on the Chinese-style lockdown instead

• Like 2

And yes, cancelling Songkran travel and a legit lockdown in BKK would've helped prevent the wave that took over in April, May and the start of June. 

Which would've then made it possible to try to contain what's going around now

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Do you really think mask wearing makes that much difference? Covid won't be disappearing for years, so I guess if you're that cautious, restaurants will have to remain closed forever then, as people can't eat with them on! 

When most if not all people are vaccinated, will that make it safer to eat in restaurants and many other activities?

I think we are talking about restrictions for a transition period only.

• Like 1

Mr Prayuth is the only to blame . Not only let he people travel with Songkran, although he could knw that it was very risky. On the other hand he has to protect the people now and gives vaccines, but he makes hurdles, and delays, so the country is far behind the virus.

Mr Prayuth want the people stay quiet by telling lies over opening, ordering vaccines, give people false hopes so they look forward, but he has no vision. The sandbox is an example that he doesn't know what to do.  As he focus on a quick vaccination of the people than life in Thailand can go back to normal and than he can think of opening the country. But with false hope and not knowing what tourists  want and  do on holiday, leaving his own people empty handed or filled with empty promises than there will be a long way to go and the situation will get worse and worse for weeks or even months

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, phills2k1 said:

An attitude of "whatever will be will be" is what got us here in the first place.  Opening everything up is what leads you to an Indian / Indonesian situation.  And that's how you guarantee that the country is destroyed for years

If they lockdown again  how will people feed themselves?? Lockdowns cause poverty, the poor get poorer.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

When most if not all people are vaccinated, will that make it safer to eat in restaurants and many other activities?

I think we are talking about restrictions for a transition period only.

I hope you're right. But how long can the economy, especially the hospitality industry, survive a transition?  I hope it's only a matter of weeks.

3 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

If they lockdown again  how will people feed themselves?? Lockdowns cause poverty, the poor get poorer.

If only there was something called a social fund that we're putting money into on a constant basis...

Edited by phills2k1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

Indeed. I can't see any additional lockdown measures being imposed. I don't think people have the stomach for them. 

• Like 1

Masks work.   So do lockdowns.   Both together work even better, but that said, the basic problem is that we are a social creature and we do not do well in isolation.  Large, crowded cities present special challenges and of course, there is still the need to obtain food and essential services.   

Historically, infectious epidemics have occurred in waves before dying down.   It may be hard to prevent a wave, but we want to avoid a tsunami.   Thailand would have been in a much better place had they cancelled Songkran.  The problem is, would people have abided by restrictions?   I suspect there would have been widespread ignoring of any restrictions.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Actually, I think foot massage is still allowed, and nothing to prevent you asking for a private foot massage.

I had a couple foot massage recently from a young thing. I offered her a new mask from my bag but she didn't want to wear one. Made me nervous. I also tried a private foot massage elsewhere, mask but made me nervous. PCR test approaches. I'm done. I give up.

17 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Thinking of it - Bangkok (the Corona hub of Thailand) has limited testing due to lack of hospital beds.

Is there a figure of how many percent of tests being conducted were positive? I think that number would matter more than how many were actually found positive.

If you have 5533 positive cases... that's from how many tests? 100,000? 5%. 50,000? 10%. 10,000? 55%. 6,000? That's nearly 100%. That does make a major difference.

A lot seems to depend on the narrative that each country adopts.  Knowing the % of positives from total tests taken would surely give a hint at how widespread it is in the community.

In Australia, they have just had figures akin to 300k total people tested, with maybe 10 or so people returning positive.  And that's enough to shut down the whole country.

Australia NEVER publicised people recovered/released, like Thailand does.

The narrative in is that Covid is a death sentence or something that will be with you forever.  They are maniacally testing as many as they can, in a desperate attempt to find even 1 or 2 positives, so the politicians can justify their idioctic OTT response.

In Thailand, when the numbers were lower, i thought they might only be testing a neat figure of 10k per day, hence figures of 1-3%  But actually it seems Thailand is only testing when they absolutely need to, on walk-ins, or to actually confirm the patient has it.

So, Thailand is not going out wasting thousands tests, just randomly looking for cases everywhere, for the sole purpose of finding more positives and spreading panic.  Sorry, but it Makes sense to me.

Interesting to note also:

In Thailand the availability of vaccines is obviously a big issue for expats.

You guys actually want it.

In Australia most folk can get vaccinated for free, basically anywhere anytime,

yet many are refusing it, dont want it, or are scared off by all the conspiracy nonsense.

I don't know what's worse...  Thailand has Covid issues, yes.

Australia has no Covid,  but 50% are idiotically scared of a disease that 99% of people recover from..  While the other 50% are terrified of the vaccine conspiracy rubbish.  That makes it a stalemate as far as trying to sort out this mess.

I'd hazzard a guess that Thailand will be the ones quicker to get on with life, and let people have their freedoms back.

Whereas in Australia it looks like we will be struggling with this nonsense for years, not allowed to even leave the country although there is no (or very little) Covid here.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

I think Phuket will have no issues with covid, too much money at stake

Phuket needs to promote more sport and especially football.

In certain places stadiums seem the safest place to be.

Thousands packed in, yet hardly nigh an infection, 

Just dont call into a pub or restaurant on the way home.

33 minutes ago, pookondee said:

A lot seems to depend on the narrative that each country adopts.

Knowing the % of positives from total tests taken would surely give a hint at how widespread it is in the community.

In Australia, they have just had figures akin to 300k total people tested,

with maybe 10 or so people returning positive.

And thats enough to shut down the whole country.

Australia NEVER publicise people recovered/released, like Thailand does.

The narrative in is that Covid is a death sentance or something that will be with you forever.

They are maniacally testing as many as they can, in a desperate attempt to find even 1 or 2 positives, so the politicians can justify their idioctic OTT response.

In Thailand, when the numbers were lower, i thought they might only be testing a neat figure of 10k per day, hence figures of 1-3%

But actually it seems Thailand is only testing when they absolutely need to, on walk-ins, or to actually confirm the patient has it.

So, Thailand is not going out wasting thousands tests, just randomly looking for cases everywhere,

for the sole purpose of finding more positives and spreading panic.

Sorry, but it Makes sense to me.

yet many are refusing it, dont want it,

or are scared off by all the conspiracy nonsense.

I don't know what's worse...

Thailand has Covid issues, yes.

Australia has no Covid,

but 50% are idiotically scared of a disease that 99% of people recover from..

While the other 50% are terrified of the vaccine conspiracy rubbish.

That makes it a stalemate as far as trying to sort out this mess.

I'd hazzard a guess that Thailand will be the ones quicker to get on with life, and let people have their freedoms back.

Whereas in Australia it looks like we will be struggling with this nonsense for years, not allowed to even leave the country although there is

no (or very little) Covid here.

An interesting perspective; I wasn't very familiar with how it was being handled in Australia. I truly hope you're right about Thailand.

4 hours ago, pookondee said:

A lot seems to depend on the narrative that each country adopts.  Knowing the % of positives from total tests taken would surely give a hint at how widespread it is in the community.

In Australia, they have just had figures akin to 300k total people tested, with maybe 10 or so people returning positive.  And that's enough to shut down the whole country.

Australia NEVER publicised people recovered/released, like Thailand does.

The narrative in is that Covid is a death sentence or something that will be with you forever.  They are maniacally testing as many as they can, in a desperate attempt to find even 1 or 2 positives, so the politicians can justify their idioctic OTT response.

In Thailand, when the numbers were lower, i thought they might only be testing a neat figure of 10k per day, hence figures of 1-3%  But actually it seems Thailand is only testing when they absolutely need to, on walk-ins, or to actually confirm the patient has it.

So, Thailand is not going out wasting thousands tests, just randomly looking for cases everywhere, for the sole purpose of finding more positives and spreading panic.  Sorry, but it Makes sense to me.

yet many are refusing it, dont want it, or are scared off by all the conspiracy nonsense.

I don't know what's worse...  Thailand has Covid issues, yes.

Australia has no Covid,  but 50% are idiotically scared of a disease that 99% of people recover from..  While the other 50% are terrified of the vaccine conspiracy rubbish.  That makes it a stalemate as far as trying to sort out this mess.

Whereas in Australia it looks like we will be struggling with this nonsense for years, not allowed to even leave the country although there is no (or very little) Covid here.

I think you are making a few mistakes.  First of all, most countries don't list the number of recovered Covid patients because it's not all that easy to figure out when a person is actually recovered.   There is a whole group known as long-haulers who have long term effects from Covid.   Many of them are unable to work.  I have a neighbor and her son who both had Covid.  Both were very sick, the lady was in the hospital for a time and many months later she still is not fully functional.  She can only walk short distances, she requires Oxygen much of the time and has 'brain fog.'   Her son was very ill, but not hospitalized and seems to have recovered (according to him), but it did take a long time.   So, they are going to have to define 'recovered.'  

Testing is important.   It gives health officials some idea of the prevalence of the virus, hot spots, variants and they can plan accordingly.   The more testing, the more knowledge of the virus you have and the more informed your decisions can be.  

Panic is natural during an infectious outbreak that has no easy treatment.  The situation in Thailand is nothing compared to my home country and area, but the reactions are the same.  Some live in denial and most live in a state of mild panic and excess anxiety.  Sadly, it simply goes with the territory. 

10 hours ago, realfunster said:

Hang on a minute, in the words of John McEnroe “you cannot be serious ?”

Posting from the country which unleashed this godawful pandemic on the rest of the world, at least partly due to their ineptitude and cover up of the initial stages, gloating that China itself doesn’t have a pandemic and even praising the CCP as a “competent government”.

I am speechless….

Just in case you haven't read any of my posts over the last 20 years I am not Chinese.

Because I work in China am I responsible for it. No.Read my post again.  Gloating not at all. I suggest you stop putting words down that are not true. Regarding the pandemic as i was comparing the government in China with Thailand. Even the mentally challenged know the winner there.

I guess you get speechless often then.

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

They've had only one day since the start of the vaccination campaign, the second day, where they gave enough doses to be on track to meet their own target.

One would expect the numbers to grow as they gain experience and efficiency, but it appears not to be the case and I suspect the logistics of supply are the problem.