I came in with a US passport, but I recently got my Thai passport, do I need to renew my visa?

I came in with a US passport, but I recently got my Thai ID & Thai passport, do I need to renew my visa (which is running out soon)? Do I need to leave Thailand and come back in with my Thai passport? Do I have to notify immigration? 

You can obtain covid extensions using your USA passport.

In order to use your Thai pp you would need to exit Thailand with your USA pp and reenter using your Thai pp.

Obviously then you will not need to deal with immigration for extensions etc 

You would not need to notify immigration.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You need to get an extension if you are not leaving the country to re-enter with your Thai passport. As a "returning Thai", you can get a one-year extension easily.

That would be weird.  I don't know of anyone getting US citizenship that has to leave the country to activate their permission to stay under their brand new US passport.  I can't imagine Thailand would force a citizen to leave for that purpose.  Nor issue an extension for a citizen to live in their own country.

In any case, I'd suggest heading down to immigration to get a definitive answer, and a Covid extension if needed to sort things out without leaving and getting forced into quarantine on return.

• Like 1

If you already have a Thai ID and passport, you are already a Thai. Why do you need a visa anymore?

How and where did you get your Thai citizenship? Mind telling us.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, EricTh said:

If you already have a Thai ID and passport, you are already a Thai. Why do you need a visa anymore?

How and where did you get your Thai citizenship? Mind telling us.

Usually, this issue occurs with dual nationals who have spent most of their lives outside Thailand, and did not get a Thai passport before entering Thailand.

Were you naturalized after arriving on a US passport or did you already have Thai citizenship when you entered on your US passport? If the latter, you will probably need to get the US passport entry sorted with immigration.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu

Afaik there is no proper process to change your status.

There are basically three options:

1. Apply for a one year extension for being Thai, obviously quite annoying to have to do this, but it would keep the computer records clean. When you leave Thailand use your US passport.

2. Don't do anything, and the next time you leave Thailand use your US passport for this. You will probably have an discussion about the overstay fine at the airport, which you should not have to pay because you are Thai, but who knows what's the IO's opinion about this is, and you risk missing your flight.

3. Don't do anything, and leave Thailand with your Thai passport. The next time you enter Thailand the computer might flag you though (fingerprints match) and the IO will be puzzled why the computer says that you are in Thailand already with your US passport, so do again expect some discussion at this point.

If I were you and would plan to leave Thailand again relatively soon I would go for option 1. If I would plan to spend the coming years in Thailand I would go for option 3 and be prepared for the discussion. As a Thai they can't legally fine you for overstay anyway, and they obviously also can't ban you from Thailand.

Edited by jackdd
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot compare the 2. Thailand and the US has different rules.

The US does not have departure immigration. and etc. 

He entered on a US passport and that is what is in immigrations records. The only way to change that is to leave and re-enter the county. Many Thai's have had to do that due to entering on a non Thai passport.

Good info, and I don't know enough to disagree.  That's why I'm suggesting he go to Immigration and see if there's a better solution than leaving the country.   It's certainly worth a visit to Immigration before making any expensive travel decisions or just bopping down to the airport.  Especially in light of a 2 week quarantine if he leaves and returns. 

• Like 2

Wow, most misinformation I have ever seen in 1 thread!

Go to any immigration office with your new Thai passport and your US passport with current visa/permission to stay. They will cancel the visa. Be sure to take documents showing how/why you have a new Thai passport. E.g.- Naturalization certificate, etc.

Even with a Thai passport in hand, you will be charged overstay if you have overstayed on your US passport. When it happened to my stepdaughter, it made me wonder what would have happened if she wasn’t quite so honest, or maybe went through the automated exit lanes... 

These two bits of advice are based on my personal experiences, ymmv.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kwarium said:

Wow, most misinformation I have ever seen in 1 thread!

Go to any immigration office with your new Thai passport and your US passport with current visa/permission to stay. They will cancel the visa. Be sure to take documents showing how/why you have a new Thai passport. E.g.- Naturalization certificate, etc.

Even with a Thai passport in hand, you will be charged overstay if you have overstayed on your US passport. When it happened to my stepdaughter, it made me wonder what would have happened if she wasn’t quite so honest, or maybe went through the automated exit lanes... 

These two bits of advice are based on my personal experiences, ymmv.

Presumably, your personal experience was based on someone acquiring Thai nationality after entering Thailand. They have special rules for that situation.

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

Presumably, your personal experience was based on someone acquiring Thai nationality after entering Thailand. They have special rules for that situation.

First case, yes.

Second case, no.

I thought all of the rules were special. OP has not stated whether they were naturalized or just reached age 21 and got their Thai ID and passport based on a Thai birth certificate.

4 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

I thought all of the rules were special. OP has not stated whether they were naturalized or just reached age 21 and got their Thai ID and passport based on a Thai birth certificate.

The age of 20 or under rule is only for parental consent needed to choose their nationality for the child. When over 20 it is the child's choice.

I can assure you that many Thais that entered on a non Thai passport have had to leave and re-enter the country using their Thai passport. Immigration will only cancel a entry on a non Thai passport after being granted Thai nationality by doing a application for it and having it approved.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The age of 20 or under rule is only for parental consent needed to choose their nationality for the child. When over 20 it is the child's choice.

I can assure you that many Thais that entered on a non Thai passport have had to leave and re-enter the country using their Thai passport. Immigration will only cancel a entry on a non Thai passport after being granted Thai nationality by doing a application for it and having it approved.

In our case, stepdaughter (born in Thailand) had to wait to age 21 to get her Thai passport since she could not get any consent signed by the father. Oddly (to me) Mother’s approval did not count. She had to pay overstay, but luckily just a few days. So, let’s say she didn’t need to leave to go back to school. Could she have been arrested and deported, or even blacklisted for overstay? Wow, TIT!

My guess is that OP is in the category above, rather than having applied for citizenship (naturalization) and having it approved. In part due to the current back log or log jam that is currently occuring with RG publication.

cheers! (Insert invisible smiley.)

????

Actually, the software appears to insert the smiley but it is invisible. It does show up in ‘recently used’.

On 7/1/2021 at 10:40 PM, DrJack54 said:

You can obtain covid extensions using your USA passport.

In order to use your Thai pp you would need to exit Thailand with your USA pp and reenter using your Thai pp.

Obviously then you will not need to deal with immigration for extensions etc 

You would not need to notify immigration.

Thay are Thai, so can NOT use their US passport in Thailand, this is illegal. If you are Thai from birth, the 2017 Constitution states that your Thai citizenship can't be revoked, but if you are not Thai by birth, it can. 

You do NOT need to leave the country, you are Thai. 

It is best if you go to immigration to cancel your visa, just in case.  I entered on a UK passport and got a Thai ID. I went to immigration as I don't want any hassle when leaving the country. As it happened, immigration told me there was no need to contact them as my visa ext. had expired. I asked the head policewoman to write something in the passport, as I don't trust them. This is what she wrote -  

image.png.0780ef003929efc9e07308f1b997c57c.png

43 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Thay are Thai, so can NOT use their US passport in Thailand, this is illegal. If you are Thai from birth, the 2017 Constitution states that your Thai citizenship can't be revoked, but if you are not Thai by birth, it can. 

You do NOT need to leave the country, you are Thai. 

That is correct in your case since you applied for Thai nationality and had it granted.

If Thai from birth immigration will not cancel a entry with a non Thai passport. Many have tried but were told they have to leave and re-enter the country using their Thai passport.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is correct in your case since you applied for Thai nationality and had it granted.

If Thai from birth immigration will not cancel a entry with a non Thai passport. Many have tried but were told they have to leave and re-enter the country using their Thai passport.

Interesting, have any manged to do it? 

so this thread has been running 3 days and the op made one post, the opening post, 

so a troll or someone that is not really interested in the comments,

but as there is a difference of ideas what he/she should do here is my 2 cents worth from a friends experience maybe others apart from the op is following

- as he/she entered on a US passport he is in Thailand as an American, as such he needs to keep his permission to stay as an American legal, if he /she is a Thai national since birth, by getting a one year extension for being a holder of Thai nationality, 1,900 thb.

Edited by steve187
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration has been doing many strange and humane things during Covid.  I don't have a clue how it would work out, but I'd sure stop by an Immigration office and ask before I'd buy a plane ticket and suffer 15 days in quarantine.  Worst case, they say no.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, impulse said:

Immigration has been doing many strange and humane things during Covid.  I don't have a clue how it would work out, but I'd sure stop by an Immigration office and ask before I'd buy a plane ticket and suffer 15 days in quarantine.  Worst case, they say no.

Since the OP can easily get a one year extension as a "returning Thai", I do not expect that they will see a need for a special process.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

Since the OP can easily get a one year extension as a "returning Thai", I do not expect that they will see a need for a special process.

Some guys are saying he'll definitely have to leave the country, some are saying he won't.   I don't claim to know either way.  I'm not an expert, just a pragmatist.  The bottom line on your advice is the same as mine.  Start with a visit to Immigration, not by arranging a flight out of the country. 

I'd hate to pay for a trip and suffer through a 15 day quarantine based on expert advice, only to later find out there's an easier, cheaper way.

On a side note, I'm curious about the consequences of shifting over to a Thai passport if the OP later decides to fly to a country where Thai citizens need a visa and US citizens don't.  Seems like it would be easy to swap passports in the air, but with tightened security and airline manifests showing passport numbers, I can see where that could cause problems.   Can he get on the plane using either passport?  And if not, can he simply leave on one passport and enter his destination on the other, if the destination has the flight manifest that doesn't show the other passport?  Just pondering...  I don't claim to know.

34 minutes ago, impulse said:

On a side note, I'm curious about the consequences of shifting over to a Thai passport if the OP later decides to fly to a country where Thai citizens need a visa and US citizens don't.  Seems like it would be easy to swap passports in the air, but with tightened security and airline manifests showing passport numbers, I can see where that could cause problems.   Can he get on the plane using either passport?  And if not, can he simply leave on one passport and enter his destination on the other, if the destination has the flight manifest that doesn't show the other passport?  Just pondering...  I don't claim to know.

Using one passport when leaving Thailand by air, and a different one to enter a destination country is extremely common. My daughter sometimes does this. What you cannot do is switch passports when crossing a land border.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, impulse said:

When checking in for a flight, my children submit both their Thai and US passports at the counter and the airline records both in their system. They have also had to show both at immigration on the way out in order to leave legally on their Thai passports and also to be able to prove they can enter the country they are flying to since they don't have visas in their Thai passports. Never had a problem with this.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

When checking in for a flight, my children submit both their Thai and US passports at the counter and the airline records both in their system. They have also had to show both at immigration on the way out in order to leave legally on their Thai passports and also to be able to prove they can enter the country they are flying to since they don't have visas in their Thai passports. Never had a problem with this.

That's the answer that makes sense to me in light of the flight security stuff that goes on in the background.  I always figured if you rocked up to US Immigration presenting a passport that hasn't been vetted for security (because it's not on the airline manifest), they'd be snapping on the latex.  And smiling...  Kind of a Clint Eastwood "make my day" smile.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I'd hate to pay for a trip and suffer through a 15 day quarantine based on expert advice, only to later find out there's an easier, cheaper way.

Immigration officers have been known to 'fix problems'. I'm sure this problem could be fixed for much less that the cost for quarantine and travel. 

That's what Thai immigration advised for me as well 20+ years ago: leave the country on your US passport, re-enter on your Thai passport.   Just made a 1 day trip to Singapore and came back the next day on my Thai passport (and obviously, don't do something weird like enter your side trip country on your US passport and try to exit on your Thai passport: use the same one in and out).  You can make it a same day trip as well.  Obviously this is going to be less convenient during the present Covid travel conditions.

Incidentally, I recall them specifically recommending that I fly in and out, and not cross by land... they weren't more specific than that other than to say it 'was better to fly for this purpose.'  

7 hours ago, Heng said:

Incidentally, I recall them specifically recommending that I fly in and out, and not cross by land... they weren't more specific than that other than to say it 'was better to fly for this purpose.'  

That was suggested due to when departing at a land border Thai immigration checks for entry and departure stamps for the other country and the other would look for Thailand stamps as well to enter the country.

• Like 1