Passport Card Health Insurance

Health Insurance is a very individual consideration based on personal circumstances.

Until earlier this year, I had health coverage via David Shield/ Passport Card/Allianz.  My particular circumstances led me to seek - and obtain - alternative coverage, due to my concerns about the large, proposed increases in annual premiums (and the indications these would continue in the future), and the background to that situation [as an aside, I have raised the matter with the relevant Insurance Ombudsman].    

My experience suggests an examination of alternatives according to personal needs and circumstances.  I was/am happy with the assistance given to me by AA Insurance Brokers - who have been recommended by many others on TV.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dinga said:

Health Insurance is a very individual consideration based on personal circumstances.

Until earlier this year, I had health coverage via David Shield/ Passport Card/Allianz.  My particular circumstances led me to seek - and obtain - alternative coverage, due to my concerns about the large, proposed increases in annual premiums (and the indications these would continue in the future), and the background to that situation [as an aside, I have raised the matter with the relevant Insurance Ombudsman].    

My experience suggests an examination of alternatives according to personal needs and circumstances.  I was/am happy with the assistance given to me by AA Insurance Brokers - who have been recommended by many others on TV.

Thanks Sherm, what alternative coverage did you go with = April Ins. perhaps ?

On 7/5/2021 at 10:51 AM, dinga said:

due to my concerns about the large, proposed increases in annual premiums (and the indications these would continue in the future), and the background to that situation

Can you share any of this as I am currently with DS.

The increase end of last year for me was 9% and I would be interested to hear any background knowledge about potential future increases?

3 hours ago, topt said:

Can you share any of this as I am currently with DS.

The increase end of last year for me was 9% and I would be interested to hear any background knowledge about potential future increases?

Suggest you talk with AA Brokers - they have a comparison chart of the premiums for a bunch of different plans - including DS/PassportCard.  For mine, the current premiums shown against each age group provides a strong indication of what increases can be expected in the future (excluding any additional annual increases based on "market conditions").

I should add that the 30% proposed increase in my premium (I remained in the same age bracket) was a major driver behind my referral to the relevant Insurance Ombudsman. 

Edited by dinga
additional information

8 minutes ago, dinga said:

Suggest you talk with AA Brokers

That's who I deal with but at Pattaya.

9 minutes ago, dinga said:

I should add that the 30% proposed increase in my premium (I remained in the same age bracket)

Presumably no other individual reasons for that level of increase and if so that is shocking and quite worrying.

Thanks.

On 7/12/2021 at 9:17 PM, topt said:

That's who I deal with but at Pattaya.

Presumably no other individual reasons for that level of increase and if so that is shocking and quite worrying.

Thanks.

Correct - the reason given was "market conditions"; an opaque excuse that has never been justified/explained - and seemed to be completely out-of-step with the  competition.

By 'co-incidence', a year earlier the underwriter (Allianz) closed down its UK-based subsidiary Hauteville and offered a replacement policy coverage under a French-based subsidiary (at a 9% premium increase which was acceptable).  The next year's 30% increase was not.   

Additionally, the trajectory of their minimum future premium increases seem to be clearly predictable from the table of (then) current premiums according to age groups.

All of which I found very troubling and was why I jumped to April.