1,300 tourists arrive during first 3 days of Phuket Sandbox - 12,000 arrivals expected in July

Jonathan Fairfield

58 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I am not on your back.... you are not that interesting.

My question was a simple "so what" because the exact numbers are an irrelevance.

Obviously interesting enough for you to reply... ????

I disagree. If I said to my business that I am going to achieve my budgets only to come in at 70% less than forecast I would probably be shown the door. 

Let's agree to disagree on this one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Excel said:

Is it me or does something appear not right with that picture as their heads do not appear to be over the bodies, almost like a poor photoshopped example ?

Yes, and he should get that rash on his legs seen to

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rhacsyn said:

I landed in Phuket on the Emirates flight from Dubai on 2nd July. There were 163 passengers on board, mainly families and couples and a few oddballs like me. There would have been approximately 100 more passengers travelling but they had to postpone last minute due to non receipt of COE. I was lucky and received my COE after one and a half days from start of application. It was a simple process for me as I had all the paperwork ready having done ASQ in Bangkok last December.

Yes, there was a big welcome and welcome party at the airport and yes, the seated waiting area at the arrivals hall was pretty full and would have been interesting had all 250 or so passengers travelled. I was lucky to be at the front and was out of the airport in 45 minutes. My Covid negative test result was received 9 hours later. Hotel price was Baht 13,000 including breakfast for 14 days plus Baht 8,000 for 3 Covid tests.

For anybody vaguely interested in actual passenger numbers you can find them on Flightradar.

Finally, there was a fire and firework show on Patong beach last night (can be seen on Phuket Smart news tv) and the lights will be turned on at 7pm on Bangla walking street at 7pm tonight..... for show only.

Above for information on my experience only

Well enjoy ur holiday !

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

I do not believe them figures, if correct where are all the photos showing the so called tourists?

Great show was made when Prayut was there, but only showed a mere handful of tourists.

No photos, no proof, why? Because it is just the usual BS.

am with you Colin,.... " pictures speak louder then words"   555

• Like 1

Just now, Presnock said:

news shows hardly anyone at all on the beaches, no traffic on the streets with closed shops and no strollers, so where are these people that came in?  Whenever they want to tout the great numbers they always show a crowd but I haven't seen any on the Thai news channels.

Remember that Phuket is a province made up of quite a few towns, and there are probably 6 or 7 that the current arrivals will be using.   Also, the majority of these people aren't tourists in the truest sense of the word, as they are mainly visiting friends and/or family, so expecting crowds in any particular area just isn't going to happen.   I would imagine that most will just be taking it easy after what for most will have been long flights, and in the absence of many facilities, relaxing at their hotels with the occasional meal out.

11 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Those to arrive on the island have mainly been from Europe with Phuket set to welcome weekly flights from Copenhagen, Frankfurt, London and Zurich until September.

May have changed but Thailand was an amber list country on the British Gov. website with holidays not permitted, essential travel only by Uk nationals and Covid test before return and two booked for first week of return and 10 day self quarantine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Head to this thread and read through to the end you'll find source, 

additionally you can visit the official source here https://ddc.moph.go.th/uploads/ckeditor2//files/จัดกลุ่มประเทศตามความเสี่ยง กรมควบคุมโรค .pdf

reading through that thread it is far from conclusive.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, smedly said:

2 blokes in a jacuzzi - same photo as yesterday only different lol

it's a refraction in the water makes it look weird

No they left they head in home, coz you have to be brainless if you are now tourist in Phuket!

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, madmen said:

Thanks very much for that info madmen very useful. All we have to do now in the UK is be removed from the Thai Red List and have Thailand removed from the UK Amber List then I can travel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its in UK press to so whether that is conclusive or not time will tell

To refuse UK nationals entry to Thailand would make headline news . I have done a Google search and all I can find is a comment asking UK double vaccinated people to provide proof of vaccine by way of the NHS app .

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its in UK press to so whether that is conclusive or not time will tell

Many UK to Thaland flights available but there is a condition ref; double jabs , see below 

Unvaccinated visitors from the United Kingdom will not be allowed to enter Thailand.

For restrictions that apply to vaccinated visitors, please check the official guidelines from Thailand for the types of accepted and permitted COVID-19 vaccinations, requirements on proof of vaccination certificates, vaccination validity period, and persons and/or groups that may be exempt from vaccination restrictions.

Thailand entry details and exceptions

To enter Thailand, foreign visitors that are permitted to enter Thailand from approved countries are required to have:

- An approved Certificate of Entry (COE)

- Proof of a COVID-19 insurance plan that covers the entire duration of their trip with a minimum coverage of $100,000

- The Thailand Plus app in order to show a QR code upon entry

- Arrangements to stay at an Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ)

Entry restrictions do not apply to Thai nationals (and their spouses and families), permanent residents (along with their spouses and children), permitted legal residents such as work permit holders, international students, selected visa holders, and other approved exempte

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, superal said:

To refuse UK nationals entry to Thailand would make headline news . I have done a Google search and all I can find is a comment asking UK double vaccinated people to provide proof of vaccine by way of the NHS app .

Many UK to Thaland flights available but there is a condition ref; double jabs , see below 

Unvaccinated visitors from the United Kingdom will not be allowed to enter Thailand.

For restrictions that apply to vaccinated visitors, please check the official guidelines from Thailand for the types of accepted and permitted COVID-19 vaccinations, requirements on proof of vaccination certificates, vaccination validity period, and persons and/or groups that may be exempt from vaccination restrictions.

Thailand entry details and exceptions

To enter Thailand, foreign visitors that are permitted to enter Thailand from approved countries are required to have:

- An approved Certificate of Entry (COE)

- Proof of a COVID-19 insurance plan that covers the entire duration of their trip with a minimum coverage of $100,000

- The Thailand Plus app in order to show a QR code upon entry

- Arrangements to stay at an Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ)

Entry restrictions do not apply to Thai nationals (and their spouses and families), permanent residents (along with their spouses and children), permitted legal residents such as work permit holders, international students, selected visa holders, and other approved exempte

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1455480/countries-where-britain-on-red-list-UK-evg

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I am not convinced yet, but wouldn't be unhappy with it. Looking at the way the UK is opening up with covid infections at a high level and now surging, I think it would be wise to ban people residing in the UK.

• Like 1

Just now, stevenl said:

I am not convinced yet, but wouldn't be unhappy with it. Looking at the way the UK is opening up with covid infections at a high level and now surging, I think it would be wise to ban people residing in the UK.

I'm not here to convince you just giving out links, take it as you like and I'll take it as I like

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, superal said:

My pal flies from London to Bangkok on Tuesday 6th July 2021 and of course has a C.O.E. from the Thai embassy 

Did you read the full separate thread on this here https://aseannow.com/topic/1222546-uk-on-red-list/

It discusses that very point and maybe its because he received the COE before the UK was added which was only at the end of June 29th or 30th so they will go ahead with it?. Why not ask him?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, smedly said:

what, no photos of this spectacular event lol

14 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Surely the logical promo shot wouold be the throngs arriving at the Airport ? 2 guys, from 1300 ..???????? yeah right.

"The arrivals attended the Welcome to Colorful Phuket event at Patong beach where there was music, local street food and firework and bonfire shows"

And not one pic ?

Plenty of YT videos out there, of people arriving at the airport, and patong beach.

11 hours ago, madmitch said:

Just seen Anthony Lark of the Phuket Hotels Association on BBC News. His first words were that it's a simple process! I wonder what thos posting on social media about the hassle involved in getting th COE would think of this.

Otherwise he was quite realistic, not expecting anything above a 50% occupancy level at hotels next season. That would refer of course to his four and five star hotels. The future for small hotel and guesthouse owners is still uncertain and quite worrying.

I have found the process simple. Very straightforward online, should only take a few hours to get everything together.

5 hours ago, RobU said:

Probably hotels are very expensive anyway so its fairly pointless for people on a budget

Nope. Plenty of cheap options. Over 300+ SHA to choose from. Have a look on the website.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

ATEOTD, what does it really matter how many people use this option. IT'S BETTER THAN ASQ!!

And if it works well, then in time it's a model for other areas to follow. If it doesn't work, so what. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

It's almost like people want it to fail.

What are people so concerned about? The chances of infected people slipping through the net are very small really. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

ATEOTD, what does it really matter how many people use this option. IT'S BETTER THAN ASQ!!

And if it works well, then in time it's a model for other areas to follow. If it doesn't work, so what. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

It's almost like people want it to fail.

What are people so concerned about? The chances of infected people slipping through the net are very small really. 

And if it works well, then in time it's a model for other areas to follow. If it doesn't work, so what. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.”

the “so what” is that hundreds of thousands of vaccine doses were diverted to Phuket so that healthy young people could be vaccinated, whilst across the country elderly and at risk people could not gain access to a vaccine.

doesn’t matter a jot, unless you happen to be one of those put in harms way unnecessarily.

45 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Did you read the full separate thread on this here https://aseannow.com/topic/1222546-uk-on-red-list/

It discusses that very point and maybe its because he received the COE before the UK was added which was only at the end of June 29th or 30th so they will go ahead with it?. Why not ask him?

I did not read the above thread but have now and the whole matter is confusing . As I read it , entry to sandbox by UK residents permitted to allow double jabbers but inhouse 14 day quarantine only , no jabs no entry  . Btw , my pal is staying in BK hotel on 14 day quarantine .  Maybe a call to the London Thai embassy tomorrow could be the answer ?      I am/was considering a return trip to Thailand ( have a re-entry permit ) but the goal posts  are moving constantly .  The double jab and no quarantine scenario is being considered by several countries . Popular thinking is that the world is going to have to live with the virus and an annual vaccine will be the norm .

The UK infections are rising daily but serious cases that lead to hospitalisation are much lower than 1 year ago and that proves that the vaccines are working . The UK target date , of 19th July to remove all covid restrictions , is looking on schedule despite the rising infection rate .   

34 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

And if it works well, then in time it's a model for other areas to follow. If it doesn't work, so what. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.”

the “so what” is that hundreds of thousands of vaccine doses were diverted to Phuket so that healthy young people could be vaccinated, whilst across the country elderly and at risk people could not gain access to a vaccine.

doesn’t matter a jot, unless you happen to be one of those put in harms way unnecessarily.

But specific to Phuket, if it doesn't work then it doesn't really matter. We're talking about Phuket here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, superal said:

I did not read the above thread but have now and the whole matter is confusing . As I read it , entry to sandbox by UK residents permitted to allow double jabbers but inhouse 14 day quarantine only , no jabs no entry  . Btw , my pal is staying in BK hotel on 14 day quarantine .  Maybe a call to the London Thai embassy tomorrow could be the answer ?      I am/was considering a return trip to Thailand ( have a re-entry permit ) but the goal posts  are moving constantly .  The double jab and no quarantine scenario is being considered by several countries . Popular thinking is that the world is going to have to live with the virus and an annual vaccine will be the norm .

The UK infections are rising daily but serious cases that lead to hospitalisation are much lower than 1 year ago and that proves that the vaccines are working . The UK target date , of 19th July to remove all covid restrictions , is looking on schedule despite the rising infection rate .   

For sure a call to the Thai Embassy in London tomorrow would be the best thing to do, get back and post on the thread let us know what they said?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

I know how the photo was taken, because I have taken many similar photos myself. Half under, half over..... but the objects were generally more stimulating...

One would certainly hope so! Couldn't get much less stimulating than those.....

• Haha 1

On 7/4/2021 at 6:27 AM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

More than 1,300 foreign tourists have arrived in Phuket in the first three days of the 'Phuket Sandbox' project.

I guess people returning to their wives or girlfriends will be classed as tourists, as will people coming to check on property or business people coming to check on assets.

Real tourist numbers are going to be low but hey lets bump up the numbers by including every arrival as a tourist.

Painting a false picture as normal.

• Like 1