Thailand reports 5,916 new COVID-19 cases, 44 more deaths

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I really am surprised international media has not picked up on this yet, doubtful all those are asymptomatic there will be some there suffering and waiting in line with the rest.

It's a reasonable guess most of these are at least mildly symptomatic or starting to feel pretty bad.  I imagine that less asymptomatic patients are going for testing now.  Queuing up with a lot of people who think they might be infected can get you infected, if you weren't before and you will not be given a bed or any meaningful treatment - maybe Favipiravir, if lucky, which was discredited by a Japanese study months ago.  No Remdesivir or even Ivermectin. 

Reasons for queuing up for hours or days for a hospital bed would be first and foremost that you feel you might need hosptal treatment to survive. Secondly to avoid infecting family members at home, if you haven't already. 

People with critically ill family members who have managed to get beds can only call for updates once a day.  Of course they cannot visit. 

• Like 2

The next phases are likely to be:

1) A similar complete collapse of the healthcare system in rural areas in many  provinces where there are far fewer beds and ICUs per capita than in Bkk, particularly in Isaan.

2) Doctors and nurses treating COVID patients getting sick in droves because they have been vaccinated with Sinovac.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So, what's the procedure for arrivals at Udon airport from Bangkok?

Surely there isn't a bus waiting for you at the airport to bundle you off to quarantine. Serious question.

I really don’t know how they are handling it to be honest. I wouldn’t fly anyway, that is way too risky for me.

Also by road, how do they know how far you have come? People actually from Bangkok might say they just came from KK.

it might be one of those unenforceable type orders that they just use as a hammer if you get caught. 

Chulabhorn Royal Academy Secretary-General, Professor Dr. Nithi Mahanonda, has proposed a reprioritisation of Thailand’s strategies to cope with the third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, which is rapidly spreading “far and wide” to the point that “we do not know who are infected among the people around us.”

In his Facebook post, he said that the top priority now is not to protect those who are not infected or to prevent the infected from spreading the disease, as it was when infections were not widespread, but is now about the management of hospital beds, intensive care units in particular, and of human resources to take care of patients.

He proposed the scaling down of pro-active case finding, so there will be sufficient resources to focus on people who think they may be infected, or develop mild symptoms, so they will get tested.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/cra-proposes-review-of-hospital-bed-management-and-medics-as-top-priority/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Chulabhorn Royal Academy Secretary-General, Professor Dr. Nithi Mahanonda, has proposed a reprioritisation of Thailand’s strategies to cope with the third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, which is rapidly spreading “far and wide” to the point that “we do not know who are infected among the people around us.”

In his Facebook post, he said that the top priority now is not to protect those who are not infected or to prevent the infected from spreading the disease, as it was when infections were not widespread, but is now about the management of hospital beds, intensive care units in particular, and of human resources to take care of patients.

He proposed the scaling down of pro-active case finding, so there will be sufficient resources to focus on people who think they may be infected, or develop mild symptoms, so they will get tested.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/cra-proposes-review-of-hospital-bed-management-and-medics-as-top-priority/

Unbelievable view from this Professor Dr. Nithi Mahanonda

First he says this: 

COVID-19 pandemic, which is rapidly spreading “far and wide” to the point that “we do not know who are infected among the people around us.”

Then he says this:

What planet is he living on?

34 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So, what's the procedure for arrivals at Udon airport from Bangkok?

Surely there isn't a bus waiting for you at the airport to bundle you off to quarantine. Serious question.

24 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I really don’t know how they are handling it to be honest. I wouldn’t fly anyway, that is way too risky for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, itsari said:

Uk reported 18 deaths from covid , 25000 new covid infections . Look at Thailand with 44 deaths and 6000 new cases . Only one conclusion i can make is there is a lack of testing in Thailand .

The low death rate in the UK is due to widespread vaccination (33million have had 2 doses) You can't in any way infer anything about testing numbers in Thailand with a single digit vaccination percent. 44 deaths for 6000 cases a day sounds reasonable, and deaths have been tracking case numbers. 44 deaths for 30,000 cases a day is too low and would not make sense. 

12 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I think the system is maxed out now. Hospital walk-ins cannot exceed 4,000 or so, plus only 2,000 can test positive based on 20,000 tests, as long as the positivity rate is around 10 to 12 percent.

They will have to open up more beds to have more official cases, or test more (hah).

of course, this means that the numbers over the last 3 days are an artifact, in the sense that they are artificially low due to limits on hospital beds.

So can i ask where you get the figure of 20k total tests taken?

I was under the impression that Thailand only test when they have to, or when they have a walk-in that needs diagnosis.

not like us in the west, randomly testing the masses trying to find infections.

21 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

First he says this: 

COVID-19 pandemic, which is rapidly spreading “far and wide” to the point that “we do not know who are infected among the people around us.”

Then he says this:

The problem seems to me that there is far too many dysfunctional parts to the Covid response, for any of it to make sense. There is just no common purpose to any of it and some parts work against others.

this guy seems to be Thailand’s answer to Dr Scott Atlas.

18 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

First he says this: 

Then he says this:

I think he saying they are aware there is so many cases out there.

and those people who will come to seek treatment will need the tests.

Not much use going out wasting time and resources testing all and sundry if they have infected people everywhere.

They might as well let the worst effected come to them for treatment, and the Asymptomatic will probably be best to stay at home and not infect any more.

id say he is on our planet, but with a slightly different approach than the west, who have not exactly done a stellar job either, all things considered.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Wow, I don’t know why he didn’t know about the quarantine, but it sounds a very uncomfortable way to spend 2 weeks. 

I wonder what’s happening on the roads? In any event, I think I am nixing the road trip and sticking to my Phuket bunker, unvaccinated, but fairly safe.

Edited by wensiensheng

3 minutes ago, pookondee said:

Not much use going out wasting time and resources testing all and sundry if they have infected people everywhere.

They might as well let the worst effected come to them for treatment, and the Asymptomatic will probably be best to stay at home and not infect any more.

id say he is on our planet, but with a slightly different approach than the west, who have not exactly done a stellar job either, all things considered.

Seems to me, he’s saying to give up on finding more cases, because there are no resources to look after them at field hospitals or hospitals. So Just deal with those who come voluntarily to the hospital, as they are likely to be the worst cases (other than those who die at home). 

it’s a form of triage really.

of course, he seems to be looking at it purely from the perspective of medical resources, not overall  virus management/containment. Sort of a single silo view.

Just now, pookondee said:

What he is clearly saying is to reduce active testing which at the moment is minimal anyway so that they can concentrate on the more serious cases with symptoms so they can get a test instead.

How can you separate the two? His suggestion is you have to be suffering with symptoms before getting tested.

However that leaves all the other pre symptomatic and asymptomatic in the community not getting tested and carrying on spreading the virus and not even knowing they have it.

Thats not how it works in Thailand, this is not the UK where they carry out mass testing regardless, identify as many as possible and home quarantine asymptomatic. 

This will just lead to further spread with the minimal vaccines available.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pookondee said:

They might as well let the worst effected come to them for treatment, and the Asymptomatic will probably be best to stay at home and not infect any more.”

how will the asymptomatic know to stay home and not infect anyone if they haven’t been tested? They won’t know they are positive.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Have we heard any similar accounts.

Many folk fly to Udon Thani daily from Bangkok. 

They are all going into 14 day quarantine upon arrival?? 

Haven't seen one report apart from the above. 

34 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

What he is clearly saying is to reduce active testing which at the moment is minimal anyway so that they can concentrate on the more serious cases with symptoms so they can get a test instead.

How can you separate the two? His suggestion is you have to be suffering with symptoms before getting tested.

However that leaves all the other pre symptomatic and asymptomatic in the community not getting tested and carrying on spreading the virus and not even knowing they have it.

Thats not how it works in Thailand, this is not the UK where they carry out mass testing regardless, identify as many as possible and home quarantine asymptomatic. 

This will just lead to further spread with the minimal vaccines available.

And theres always the chance that Thais arent officially buying into the idea that the asymptomatic are bad spreaders.

The ex Pfizer scientist guy (controversal video doing the rounds)

makes a pretty good case that if your Asymptomatic then you cant possibly have the stuff in your system to spread it.

Who knows what the Thais believe.

A lot of Fauccis stuff was complete nonsense after all.

Just now, pookondee said:

And theres always the chance that Thais arent officially buying into the idea that the asymptomatic are bad spreaders.

The ex Pfizer scientist guy (controversal video doing the rounds)

makes a pretty good case that if your Asymptomatic then you cant possibly have the stuff in your system to spread it.

Who knows what the Thais believe.

A lot of Fauccis stuff was complete nonsense after all.

I stated asymptomatic and pre symptomatic. Only around 30% or less of all covid cases are truly asymptomatic. 

Besides you missed the main point and that is that they would not know they are infected without a test and so would carry on their lives as normal, that includes the pre symptomatic who develop mild symptoms or worse days later, unless tested they are out in the community socializing and carry on life as normal.

This is not about Faucis or what you believe or don't believe about him.

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I stated asymptomatic and pre symptomatic. Only around 30% or less of all covid cases are truly asymptomatic. 

Besides you missed the main point and that is that they would not know they are infected without a test and so would carry on their lives as normal, that includes the pre symptomatic who develop mild symptoms or worse days later, unless tested they are out in the community socializing and carry on life as normal.

This is not about Faucis or what you believe or don't believe about him.

30% or less of all covid cases are truly asymptomatic...

Im very suprised by that figure, but i am no expert.

I guess there are no easy answers.

All i can say is for me, I wouldn't really like to be lined up in a huge queue in Bangkok waiting to be tested.

If i didnt have it then, id deduct there might be a slightly higher chance of having it afterwards.

2 minutes ago, pookondee said:

30% or less of all covid cases are truly asymptomatic...

Im very suprised by that figure, but i am no expert.

I guess there are no easy answers.

All i can say is for me, I wouldn't really like to be lined up in a huge queue in Bangkok waiting to be tested.

If i didnt have it then, id deduct there might be a slightly higher chance of having it afterwards.

"Approximately 59 percent of all transmission is caused by presymptomatic individuals who hadn’t yet developed symptoms and asymptomatic people who never developed symptoms, according to the study Trusted Source published last week in JAMA Network.

The researchers say the findings show how identifying and quarantining symptomatic patients isn’t enough to control the rapid transmission of COVID-19.

According to this new study, recent estimates suggest around 30 percent of people with COVID-19 never develop symptoms and may be 75 percent as capable of transmitting the virus as those with symptoms."

No easy answers no, aside from the obvious test test test as much as possible.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pookondee said:

So can i ask where you get the figure of 20k total tests taken?

I was under the impression that Thailand only test when they have to, or when they have a walk-in that needs diagnosis.

not like us in the west, randomly testing the masses trying to find infections.

We know that there is some testing in Thailand during the contact tracing process. 7

• Confused 2