Sandbox - can meet gf?

RAZZELL

A mate is flying to Phuket from Singapore and is meeting his Thai gf who is flying in from Bangkok.

He is adamant that he can share a room - if they check into his quarantine hotel at the same time.

I've have read conflicting advice.

Any answers?

RAZZ

8 hours ago, beechbum said:

Yes of course he can, that info about not sharing rooms unless married with paperwork was BS.

Maybe, maybe not.  That BS declaration may have been for people traveling together, both on Sandbox arrivals.  I don't claim to know, but I could envision a case where she can't check into an SHA+ hotel because she's a local traveler who hasn't been tested on arrival.

Then there's the question, as a Thai citizen are there any advantages to her checking in, as opposed to sneaking in?  But it seems like they'd frown on having unknown ladies in a "safe" room, for obvious reasons during a pandemic.

I'd sure want to hear from someone that's actually done it... 

Still, worst case, he sleeps in an SHA+ hotel, she sleeps in a non-SHA hotel and they meet up during the day.  I'm not saying that will be required.  I just don't know.

Edited by impulse

37 minutes ago, impulse said:

Maybe, maybe not.  That BS declaration may have been for people traveling together, both on Sandbox arrivals.  I don't claim to know, but I could envision a case where she can't check into an SHA+ hotel because she's a local traveler who hasn't been tested on arrival.

Then there's the question, as a Thai citizen are there any advantages to her checking in, as opposed to sneaking in?  But it seems like they'd frown on having unknown ladies in a "safe" room, for obvious reasons during a pandemic.

I'd sure want to hear from someone that's actually done it... 

Still, worst case, he sleeps in an SHA+ hotel, she sleeps in a non-SHA hotel and they meet up during the day.  I'm not saying that will be required.  I just don't know.

You may be right for the first night only. If an arrival from abroad tested negative on arrival in Thailand they can share, so for the first night it would depend on the timing. Subsequent nights are ok.

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You may be right for the first night only. If an arrival from abroad tested negative on arrival in Thailand they can share, so for the first night it would depend on the timing. Subsequent nights are ok.

Is it possible for a local traveler to check into an SHA+ hotel?   Short answer...   I don't claim to know.   

I believe he's required to return to his SHA+ hotel every night.  And he can share the room with an international Sandbox traveler, even if they're not married.  But I don't know if Thai locals are even allowed to stay in SHA+ hotels.

I also know that some things are complicated by details...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, impulse said:

Is it possible for a local traveler to check into an SHA+ hotel?   Short answer...   I don't claim to know.   

I believe he's required to return to his SHA+ hotel every night.  And he can share the room with an international Sandbox traveler, even if they're not married.  But I don't know if Thai locals are even allowed to stay in SHA+ hotels.

I also know that some things are complicated by details...

Yes, a local traveller can check into SHA+.

• Like 2

I'm in Phuket now on day 4 of the Sandbox. Other than being asked to remain in the room when arriving until the airport test came back negative (about 10 hours) you would never know it wasn't a typical hotel and holiday - well other than I have to stop at reception at some point once per day to have my QR code scanned and temperature checked. I had a friend to the room for some wine on my balcony yesterday. 

Just like some hotels would charge a "joiner's fee" and others don't, I think your experience would vary based upon the hotel. You could certainly ask the hotel's policy before you booked.

• Like 2