Expert: High COVID Cases Justify Lockdown

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Maybe because people were living with it, thinking they had a bad cold. About that time, a friend of mine stayed in bed with what he thought was flu. On reflection he now thinks it could have been covid. Who knows? There must be many infected, with minor symptoms and going about their business oblivious.  

Critical care beds weren't being stressed back then. I doubt that people were staying in their beds when suffering severe, painful, and life threatening symptoms. Is that what people usually do in those cases?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, connda said:

Fourth Wave.  Fourth Wave.  Be frightened!

Waves sound scary so unabashedly promote them far and wide.  "Wave 4 is here!!!  Cower.  Stay at home!"

Really.  Don't worry about reality like Wave 3 never crested let alone made a trough which a Wave 4 would build out of.
Nope.  Scare the commoners by telling them that the rising slope of Wave 3 is now <drum roll> actually Wave 4!  "Hocus-Pocus Presto Magic Sha-zam!" <pulls Wave 4 out of a hat; slide whistle; cymbal crash; audience gasps!>
Obviously he (and those government, academic, and corporate entities he directly associates with) think that the public are so buffalo-stupid that they'll buy it unconditionally.  Right?  (Well, many will - sad as that may be).
"Wave 4!  Hide under the bed!  Lock yourselves in the closet!
Delta! Delta! Delta!!!  Boo!"
Amazing.....

Err, maybe switch to Coke Zero?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ezzra said:

27,000 infected in the UK yesterday and no lockdown, infect, in a few days the UK will be open to business as usual, what the UK health authorities knows that the Thai or even the Aussies don't? whom, in Australia enough for someone to sneeze to put the whole city into lockdown...

Not to forget,  UK is quite well vaccinated. Makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sandy Bottom said:

The survival rate is high, however long term there are several problems, according to CDC https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/long-term-effects.html

"5 Ways the Flu Can Affect Your Health Even After You Feel Better"

https://www.health.com/condition/flu/flu-long-term-effects

"7 Surprising Health Complications From Cold and Flu
Sniffling, sneezing, and coughing are no surprise when we have a cold or the flu. Other complications, though fortunately rare, can be much more serious."

https://www.everydayhealth.com/cold-flu-pictures/suprising-health-complications-from-cold-and-flu.aspx

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

For almost an entire year , Thailand's covid deaths were between 0 and 3. How can you possibly say this is the 4th wave. I'd say it's the first. or second at most.

I think it is the first....Thailand never experienced any waves before and this is their wakeup call!

5 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

Remember, there is a lot of Dry Wood in Thailand and Laos and Cambodia and Myanmmar....and the virus loves Dry Wood.

Cambodia has one of the youngest populations in the world (median age of 25.6 years!!) so I bet they will come out pretty good from all of this. 

19 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

There is also a view gaining ground in the UK that the daily reporting of case rates is unhelpful.

I am surprised it took this long, to be honest. The myopic focus on case counts has been unhelpful all pandemic long and really only serves the function of scaring the general public.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cipher said:

I am surprised it took this long, to be honest. The myopic focus on case counts has been unhelpful all pandemic long and really only serves the function of scaring the general public.

From the point of view of  SAGE sub division SPI-B Independent Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Behaviours ( its specific role  is influencing public perception  &  behaviour) That was  exactly the conclusion and reason case counts were used so frequently. The purpose was to scare and intimidate thus making the public more malleable and readily willing to accept  draconian measures, which would have otherwise met with more resistance and less effect

Right or wrong morally, in practice it seems to have worked on most.  

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I believe that Thailand may start to get lots of people in the hospitals as the Delta variant is just starting to

spread through out Thailand. If the Peru variant is stronger, I am sure that it will reach Thailand as well, then

what ever wave it creates we will hear it in the news.   I have no plans to travel to Australia, New Zealand or Europe

until at least 80 percent of their populations have had their two shots and the cases of Covid are a lot less.

This goes for Thailand as well. The government can try their sand boxes, and there will be the desperate or

brave travelers who will escape their hot countries like Dubai and Egypt etc. , but even my well travelled friends

are being cautious and staying in their home countries of Germany, Australia, USA, Canada, Norway, etc. Most of us

are not into all the rules and requirements that exist today, we are waiting for the future where travelers can be more relaxed.

Geezer

• Like 1

All the politicians and their families have been vaccinated and they have enough financial assets to ride this out. The government has backing from a senate that is chosen by the government every 5 years. The government wins elections due to the senate backing every 4 years. 

Time to visit Tesco for an emergency stock of booze just in case. I don't drink much but I do enjoy what little I do drink and don't like the idea of being stranded without any.

17 hours ago, alation said:

Gee, that's painting a lot of hysteria, I know the the Indian strain is a lot easier to transfer but the statistics show that it's not as bad and the original covid 19. Anyway take care Thailand. 

Where did you come up with that little erroneous gem? 

17 hours ago, James105 said:

I could be wrong, but don’t Australians currently have complete freedom, albeit within Australia?  The only thing they cannot do is travel.   If you allowed those vaccinated the extra freedom to travel then it won’t be long before they start bringing back the virus when they return, and other than impose strict quarantine for vaccinated travellers this is unavoidable, therefore making travel unattractive and the motivation for vaccine removed.   Bit of a chicken and egg situation I think.  

No they do not. Parts of NSW and Queensland are in lockdown. AFAIK one cannot travel from NSW to Victoria currently.

18 hours ago, VBF said:

Rather than mandate vaccination, introduce "Vaccination Passports" whereby those who are vaccinated get their complete freedoms back, others must remain regulated. 

For example UK is considering allowing fully vaccinated people to enter the country without any form of quarantining; others may still have to be tested and / or quarantine.

IMO, right and proper - to those who complain that this is "discrimination"  Yes it is.......discrimination against anti-vax idiots! Now watch the Conspiracy Theorists huff and puff!!!!

????

I'm predicting criminals will develop a thriving trade in forged vaccination passports, just like they do with other documents.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'm predicting criminals will develop a thriving trade in forged vaccination passports, just like they do with other documents.

In a pre-internet world, that would work, and may still work in Thailand. International travel? Other countries will digitally see right through them.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2021 at 5:47 AM, snoop1130 said:

If this situation is allowed to persist, he said that the need for more hospital beds will increase steadily until the entire Thai health system collapses.

A real Einstein this one! Gee, he figured out that the Thai health care system can’t sustain the strain of increasing, out of control, COVID cases. A doctor no less!

I would to like know what rock this gentleman has been living under for the last 18 months.

6 minutes ago, J Town said:

In a pre-internet world, that would work, and may still work in Thailand. International travel? Other countries will digitally see right through them.

It's an arms race, criminals are quite proficient in the digital world as well. Evidence? Thefts of bitcoin.

14 hours ago, VBF said:

I think perhaps you should be looking at trends rather than actual numbers.

The UK infection rate is creeping up....but....the hospitalisation and death rates are plummeting. Also, those getting infected after having been vaccinated are much less sick than before vaccination. 

Based on that, IMO, the UK is doing it right with a hopefully bright future, but the future situation in Thailand is, sadly, unknown but predictably the trend will continue to increase until they vaccinate efficiently..

If you want to miss the point that is up to you. 

My point was about perception, nothing to do with vaccination levels or trends.

15 hours ago, placeholder said:

I don't think that your projection is valid.

By definition projections have no validity so thoughts are arbitrary.

Only time will tell but the writing is on the wall, 3 hospitals in Scotland have declared "Code Black".

Two more hospitals have declared “code black” alerts in response to mounting numbers of coronavirus patients and absent staff members who have been forced to self-isolate.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-hospitals-code-black-scotland-b1880127.html

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

By definition projections have no validity so thoughts are arbitrary.

Only time will tell but the writing is on the wall, 3 hospitals in Scotland have declared "Code Black".

Tell that to insurance companies, among others.

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

If you want to miss the point that is up to you. 

My point was about perception, nothing to do with vaccination levels or trends.

It may be me, but how does perception matter? It's facts that are important, surely? 

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

@J Town beat me to it, but it's much harder these days than it once was. Look how much harder it its to forge a modern "e-passport" than an old paper one.

Notice I I do not say impossible of course.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Very difficult in Europe at least. Once vaccinated, with each vaccin, you get a certificate. This goes through the national health system. Then you apply a QR code on your phone, and you can download it there. It will act as a vaccin passport. I also think there is a huge fine ( 15000€ ?) and prison sentence for people using forgeries. 
As for infection numbers rising , yes. Britain expects 100 000 by next week, but these are being handled out of hospital and very few deaths. Vaccination runs for youths and kids by the thousands every day. And of course, the country is up and running and people back at work. 

• Like 2