Best Mac&Cheese in Chiang mai?

David T Pike

Hey folks! Where might one purchase (pick up or delivery) some REAL genuine and tasty Mac&Cheese?

Are their stores that sell it? Restaurant's? 

I'm from Wisconsin and LOVE REAL cheese but my wife does not like it! SACRILEDGE!!! So she does not want me making a huge pan/dish of it. For some reason she thinks it's fattening and I am trying to loose weight. ???? I think cheese is misunderstood and gets a bad rap... https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-cheese#1 

But back to my original question. Where can I get some of this comfort food ready to eat? Or even buy some boxes of the Original Kraft Macaroni and Cheese? I know Kraft is not really "real" mac and cheese but it is a good starter! I buy it and jazz it up with some real cheeses, bacon bits, diced sautéed onions or fried garlic. ????

Thank all yall! ????

• Like 1

Tops supermarket at airport Plaza sell it

I saw some in the  freezer when shopping for other things on Sunday

Still there, I did not buy any.

Brand name is Waitrose   bound to be good as I worked for them for 13 years.

But Mac n cheese is a decidedly  American fare yet Waitrose does not get more British

Oh well...enjoy my friend

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

Tops supermarket at airport Plaza sell it

I saw some in the  freezer when shopping for other things on Sunday

Still there, I did not buy any.

Brand name is Waitrose   bound to be good as I worked for them for 13 years.

But Mac n cheese is a decidedly  American fare yet Waitrose does not get more British

Oh well...enjoy my friend

Thanks TP! I will have the wifey go and buy some! I see they have several different styles.... spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2

It could be your home as its super easy....macaroni  heavy cream and grated cheese

Or choose ur pasta

choose ur cheeses

add panko--bake

add crab-shrimp-etc.....baking has rules--cooking is for rule breakers!

signed-- a guy that has cooked in LOS and been doing it over 30 yrs,,,culinary trained

6 hours ago, flare said:

Rock Me makes two versions of mac&cheese- I order it occasionally for my kid, who loves it.

Thanks! I just so happened to have googled "The best mac and cheese in Chiang Mai" and "Rock Me" came in 3rd place on Trip Advisor. We will be visiting them soon. #1 was "Lone Star BBQ" but they are temporarily closed at the moment...

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Rock Me Burger

Thanks! ???? I just so happened to have googled "The best mac and cheese in Chiang Mai" and Rock Me came in 3rd place on Trip Advisor. We will be visiting them soon. #1 was "Lone Star BBQ" but they are temporarily closed at the moment... 

Please translate for non Americans (about 98 % of all living people) what is a Mac & Cheese. I Assume macaroni with cheese? 

If you want to lose weight you have to stay away from all processed food (it hardly contains real food and no real cheese).  Yes contrary to what most people think, you may need fat to lose fat. If you want real cheese, you can go to the German Thai cheese factory across the street from the arboretum (before the Zoo) mostly Gouda based. Or go to Dacheeso (different choices) (Hideaway restaurant) on route 108 about 200 meter before Tesco Lotus Hang Dong if you come from town. Those two make their own cheese.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kinok Powell said:

Asking where can i get the "best" mac+cheese is akin to asking "what is the best migraine headache" ? All awful.

Haters gonna hate...  I have never considered a migraine akin to comfort food... even if that comfort food IS FATTENING!!! What is awful are trolls continually finding something derogatory about anything or everything just to poison the soup so others may join in their misery... I will pray that your miserable life gets better... I'm rooting for you!  FYI  I love and ENJOY bacon too! It makes me happy even if it does clog my arteries!  You should try some occasionally KP! But moderation in all things... Even Mac&Cheese! ???? 

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to enjoy life to its fullest, skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke with gravel flying, thoroughly used up, totally scarred and worn out while loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" AMEN! RIP... -David T Pike

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Trip Advisor - publishing Trash and steering people wrong for years.

Along with Lonely Planet.

Word of mouth every time.

Trip Advisor gets their ratings from WORD OF MOUTH of those who have been there, done that. SMH in wonder....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, David T Pike said:

Trip Advisor gets their ratings from WORD OF MOUTH of those who have been there, done that. SMH in wonder....

And a 21 year old backpacker is just the person I would pick for real, unbiased opinions on tourist locations and restaurant reviews !!!

Word of Mouth - to me - is from people who live there.

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, David T Pike said:

Haters gonna hate...  I have never considered a migraine akin to comfort food... even if that comfort food IS FATTENING!!! What is awful are trolls continually finding something derogatory about anything or everything just to poison the soup so others may join in their misery... I will pray that your miserable life gets better... I'm rooting for you!  FYI  I love and ENJOY bacon too! It makes me happy even if it does clog my arteries!  You should try some occasionally KP! But moderation in all things... Even Mac&Cheese! ???? 

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to enjoy life to its fullest, skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke with gravel flying, thoroughly used up, totally scarred and worn out while loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" AMEN! RIP... -David T Pike

Great reply nice guy.All the best,KP.x

• Like 1

For years I have eaten every week (almost!) at 'Butter Is Better' along Chang Klang near Pantip Plaza - near to the traffic lights. 

I love the food, and the staff there are friendly, helpful and very professional. It also has a car park! Excellently run. 'Homely' and inexpensive.

Run by charming Thai lady and great American guy. Many Americans eat there.

Mac Cheese is on the menu, although I've never eaten it.

I'm willing to bet that all their food is very good. Many American dishes, of course. Home made, naturally.

Fill yer boots, mate!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Yeah we will ship to you by air from London,  £27.50 per box for 24 box order.

No Stouffer's but here is something I've NEVER seen before... Mac and cheese in a CAN!!! ???? https://shopee.co.th/Heinz-Macaroni-Cheese-400g-ไฮนซ์-มักกะโรนีชีส-400กรัม-i.38135558.4687114531

22 hours ago, canthai55 said:

And a 21 year old backpacker is just the person I would pick for real, unbiased opinions on tourist locations and restaurant reviews !!!

Word of Mouth - to me - is from people who live there.

I am sure there are quite a few reviewers who are from the hood...

Edited by David T Pike

Tell your wife you can make Mac & Cheese in a rice cooker.  Yup, I did it when we stayed here long ago for just a month and I bought a rice cooker to supplement the prepared meals we bought at Tanin Market.  It's amazing all the meals you can make in a simple, high-low setting rice cooker with a glass top.

Start by oiling the bottom of the rice cooker to make it easier to clean later.  Put a generous amount of water and some salt in rice cooker and get the water boiling on the high setting.  Once boiling, dump in your macaroni.  We like whole wheat macaroni.  Put the lid back.  I like glass lids so I can see what's happening.  Not those fancy rice cookers, where the lid locks in place.  You'll have to place the lid askew otherwise the water will boil over.

After cooking for the recommended time, dump out the water into a sink of cold water, so you don't melt your drain pipe.  It helps if you have a strainer to catch the pasta.  Then, put the cooked pasta back in the rice cooker, set it to low and add shredded cheese, stirring from time to time as it melts.

You can jazz this up by cooking the pasta with frozen peas, adding drained canned tuna when you add the cheese and, of course, adding herbs like oregano, parsley and red pepper flakes when you add the cheese.  You may want to add butter and cream at this stage also.  Keep stirring until the cheese melts so you don't burn the bottom of the rice cooker.

There are many, many dishes you can make in a simple rice cooker.  This is one of my favs.  It may not be the "best" mac and cheese, but certainly the easiest and most wholesome because you're using real cheese, whole wheat pasta and adding some veggies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2021 at 2:20 PM, David T Pike said:

No Stouffer's but here is something I've NEVER seen before... Mac and cheese in a CAN!!! ???? https://shopee.co.th/Heinz-Macaroni-Cheese-400g-ไฮนซ์-มักกะโรนีชีส-400กรัม-i.38135558.4687114531

Common fare in the UK along with tinned ravioli and spaghetti bolognese. Made in Wigan, England, birthplace of George Orwell and famed for their pies

21 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Nice one Nancy !

Lived out of my slow cooker when I was still slaving away in the salt mine, but never thought of using a rice cooker.

You do have to babysit the rice cooker for some dishes, unlike the slow cooker, but it can be used for many things, like pasta, boiled eggs (hard or soft), quinoa, couscous, oatmeal, lentils, really any kind of dried bean, etc. 

I even used it to make chicken broth from bones, but that took longer-term babysitting for like an hour of toggling between high and low so it didn't boil over.  Now I use an instant pot to make chicken broth.