Expats in Thailand Can Get COVID-19 Vaccination at Phyathai 2 and Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospitals

snoop1130

48 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

For those of you with appointments at Phyathai for vaccination this month and planning to get to Bangkok by a driving service or Grab, I just read an interesting research study conducted that confirms the common sense idea of having all windows on the car opened during the trip. 

I'm going to insist on it and also planning to wear an N95 mask.  Call me ultra paranoid if you want but a day long round trip with a complete stranger sounds risky to me.

https://www.brown.edu/news/2020-12-04/airflow

Doesn't work if its raining. Also not sure all the drivers would cooperate but best of luck with your journey. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Doesn't work if its raining. Also not sure all the drivers would cooperate but best of luck with your journey. 

Well even in rain, partly rolled down is better than being sealed in an airtight cocoon.  Best of luck with your "online journey" tomorrow; seriously hoping it works for you.

20 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Well even in rain, partly rolled down is better than being sealed in an airtight cocoon.  Best of luck with your "online journey" tomorrow; seriously hoping it works for you.

I have no logical reason to be optimistic.

• Like 1

Well Now, It went to the above link to MedPark.

Registered in 2 minutes. Gave me a date of August 6. 1:30 pm

I am shocked...IF this works. Have tried the other hospital....Payathai....for over a week,,,full after 1 minute of opening.

We'll see how it goes....

• Like 1

Just tried this morning. Started at 9.00 on the dot and before I could fill in the form, they shut it down. Less than 5 minutes and the quota was full... 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, djayz said:

Just tried this morning. Started at 9.00 on the dot and before I could fill in the form, they shut it down. Less than 5 minutes and the quota was full... 

Same here..but I filled it in and clicked submit in less than 3 minutes.....Closed.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JohnOFphon said:

Well Now, It went to the above link to MedPark.

Registered in 2 minutes. Gave me a date of August 6. 1:30 pm

I am shocked...IF this works. Have tried the other hospital....Payathai....for over a week,,,full after 1 minute of opening.

We'll see how it goes....

Tried this too, after reading the above comment, and registered immediately. Just hope I'll be offered AZ... If not, they can give the Sinovac to the person behind me. 

• Like 1

Just now, djayz said:

Tried this too, after reading the above comment, and registered immediately. Just hope I'll be offered AZ... If not, they can give the Sinovac to the person behind me. 

Med park only use AZ

• Thanks 2

It should also be noted that the director of the holding company for MedPark (a private hospital), Pongpat Patanavanich,  is probably one the strongest advocate for getting Western vaccines imported ASAP, and my guess is they will be the first one to "seriously" offer the opportunity for paid jabs of Moderna, instead of the crazy lottery style registrations from the likes of Pattaya Memorial and BJP.  Purely my opinion of course.

Also since there seems to be confusion, both PhyaThai and MedPark are distributing AZ, not SInoVac for their rollout to expats in July (Phyathai) and August (MedPark).

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

MedPark sign up works well; you just need a snapshot of your passport page.  Even if you succeeded at PhyaThai. I would suggest you register at MedPark as well as a backup just in case we get into a lockdown situation in BKK next week that prevents us from getting in for our appointments next week.  I have a feeling we would end up having to forfeit our appointments if that happened, so this is just a backup plan (since the MedPark vax is in August) which you cancel so the appointment can be assigned to someone else, once you get your vax at PhyaThai.

I signed up easily just a moment ago and got a prompt confirmation by email:

1992125988_snapshot_2021-07-16at12_33_57PM.jpg.17cc151fb3fbd9877bc3dfad50d3190d.jpg

Actually, that's not a bad idea. I applied to MedPark too. Just got my confirmation for Aug. 17. (I chose a later date.) Wow, that was easy. So easy, it probably means they have lots of Sinovac on the way. Yes, I'm aware of the claim that AZ is the main item on the menu

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
More detail

6 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Actually, that's not a bad idea. I applied to MedPark too. Just got my confirmation for Aug. 17. (I chose a later date.) Wow, that was easy. So easy, it probably means they have lots of Sinovac on the way. Yes, I'm aware of the claim that AZ is the main item on the menu

I'm pretty sure they will deliver AZ.  The official guidelines from the CCSA say AZ for 60 and over and/or with high risk medical conditions.  If PhyaThai did not, just another reason to have a backup plan.

I was not uncomfortable about SInoVac until the SSCA just declared that all medical workers receiving SInoVac back in Apr/May would now get a one-shot booster of AZ.  Makes you start wondering about the actual efficacy of SInoVac in regards to the Delta variant, ya know?

• Like 2

I just recieved my 3M N95 masks to day from Lazada that I ordered in anticipation of travel to Phyathai in Bangkok. 

I can not believe how much better these are than the dime store junk you get at 7-11.  These N95 masks fit super tight so that takes some getting used to what's really cool is that the built-in filter makes it incredibly easy to breathe normally.  Perfect for cardio exercise like running and cycling, whereas the jony ones are horrible for that.

They may be more expensive, but hey. the junk you buy at 7-11 probably does nothing at all to really protect you.  Worthwhile investment as far as I'm concerned.

On 7/17/2021 at 1:21 PM, WaveHunter said:

I just recieved my 3M N95 masks to day from Lazada that I ordered in anticipation of travel to Phyathai in Bangkok. 

I can not believe how much better these are than the dime store junk you get at 7-11.  These N95 masks fit super tight so that takes some getting used to what's really cool is that the built-in filter makes it incredibly easy to breathe normally.  Perfect for cardio exercise like running and cycling, whereas the jony ones are horrible for that.

They may be more expensive, but hey. the junk you buy at 7-11 probably does nothing at all to really protect you.  Worthwhile investment as far as I'm concerned.

When you talk about "the built-in filter", it makes me think you're talking about one of the industrial type rubber type masks that have replaceable filter cartridges vs the more typical and common disposable 3M 95 masks... But I'm guessing.  What kind did you actually get from Lazada?  Can you post a link?

15 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When you talk about "the built-in filter", it makes me think you're talking about one of the industrial type rubber type masks that have replaceable filter cartridges vs the more typical and common disposable 3M 95 masks... But I'm guessing.  What kind did you actually get from Lazada?  Can you post a link?

3M N-95 masks (8510V) use a built-in filter which provides the viral filtering instead of relying on the cloth or paper material of the mask itself to do the filtering, and since they create a perfect seal around the face, you're ensured that you are breathing adequately filtered air.

Viral particles are alway bound to larger particles like water droplets or aerosol so the protection from viruses by a mask requires filtering down to about 1 micron. 

The N95 mask is certified to be 95% effective at filtering particles down to 0.3 microns.  Surgical or cloth masks do not come anywhere close to that, plus they are loose-fitting and allow unfiltered air to be inhaled through the gaps, whereas the N95 forms a perfect seal around the face.

This is a picture of the 3M N95 type 8510V mask available on Lazada:

75820_20200305T000000Z_947543609_RC2RDF920BFM_RTRMADP_3_HEALTHCORONAVIRUS3M_1585923865277.jpeg.5863083e612843fac107b9bb552bdf21.jpeg

However there are drawbacks to this mask in that your exhaled air is not adequately filtered, so if you are carrier of the virus, others around you will be at risk, but that same risk occurs with surgical or cloth masks since they are loose fitting.

You can purchase N95 masks (type 8510) without the valve which offer both inhaled and exhaled filtration but I was unable to find them, and so the one with the valve is what I use because it offer superior personal protection, and provides comfortable breathing while outdoors running and cycling which is important to me, and which I find impossible to do with regular cloth masks.

The only way to really protect others is by practicing safe social distancing.  The primary purpose of wearing masks is personal protection IMO.  

Here is a breakdown of the type of masks available:

Surgical mask

Also called a medical mask, a surgical mask is a loose-fitting disposable mask that protects the nose and mouth from contact with droplets, splashes and sprays that may contain germs. Surgical masks may protect others by reducing exposure to the saliva and respiratory secretions of the mask wearer.

N95 masks

N95 mask offers more protection than a surgical mask does because it can filter out both large and small particles when the wearer inhales. As the name indicates, the mask is designed to block 95% of very small particles. Some N95 masks have valves that make them easier to breathe through. However, with this type of mask, unfiltered air is released when the wearer exhales.

Cloth masks

A cloth mask is intended to trap droplets that are released when the wearer talks, coughs or sneezes.

Cloth face coverings are most likely to reduce the spread of the coronavirus when they are widely used by people in public settings. Cloth face coverings and masks are easy to find or make, and can be washed and reused.

N99 masks

N99 masks are similar to N95 masks but are more effective in blocking tiny particulate matter. N99 masks are able to block 99 per cent of all fine particulate matter (PM 2.5). They only come with respiratory valves.

Edited by WaveHunter

14 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

3M N-95 masks (8510V) use a built-in filter which provides the viral filtering instead of relying on the cloth or paper material of the mask itself to do the filtering, and since they create a perfect seal around the face, you're ensured that you are breathing adequately filtered air.

Viral particles are alway bound to larger particles like water droplets or aerosol so the protection from viruses by a mask requires filtering down to about 1 micron. 

The N95 mask is certified to be 95% effective at filtering particles down to 0.3 microns.  Surgical or cloth masks do not come anywhere close to that, plus they are loose-fitting and allow unfiltered air to be inhaled through the gaps, whereas the N95 forms a perfect seal around the face.

This is a picture of the 3M N95 type 8510V mask available on Lazada:

75820_20200305T000000Z_947543609_RC2RDF920BFM_RTRMADP_3_HEALTHCORONAVIRUS3M_1585923865277.jpeg.5863083e612843fac107b9bb552bdf21.jpeg

However there are drawbacks to this mask in that your exhaled air is not adequately filtered, so if you are carrier of the virus, others around you will be at risk, but that same risk occurs with surgical or cloth masks since they are loose fitting.

You can purchase N95 masks (type 8510) without the valve which offer both inhaled and exhaled filtration but I was unable to find them, and so the one with the valve is what I use because it offer superior personal protection, and provides comfortable breathing while outdoors running and cycling which is important to me, and which I find impossible to do with regular cloth masks.

The only way to really protect others is by practicing safe social distancing.  The primary purpose of wearing masks is personal protection IMO.  

Here is a breakdown of the type of masks available:

Surgical mask

Also called a medical mask, a surgical mask is a loose-fitting disposable mask that protects the nose and mouth from contact with droplets, splashes and sprays that may contain germs. Surgical masks may protect others by reducing exposure to the saliva and respiratory secretions of the mask wearer.

N95 masks

N95 mask offers more protection than a surgical mask does because it can filter out both large and small particles when the wearer inhales. As the name indicates, the mask is designed to block 95% of very small particles. Some N95 masks have valves that make them easier to breathe through. However, with this type of mask, unfiltered air is released when the wearer exhales.

Cloth masks

A cloth mask is intended to trap droplets that are released when the wearer talks, coughs or sneezes.

Cloth face coverings are most likely to reduce the spread of the coronavirus when they are widely used by people in public settings. Cloth face coverings and masks are easy to find or make, and can be washed and reused.

N99 masks

N99 masks are similar to N95 masks but are more effective in blocking tiny particulate matter. N99 masks are able to block 99 per cent of all fine particulate matter (PM 2.5). They only come with respiratory valves.

I've done some further research on this.

Some responses to above.

People really should NOT be wearing N95 masks with VALVES. In certain jurisdictions and other parts of the U.S. they are BANNED. The reason is that the wearer expels from the valve. Indeed the expulsion is accelerated by the valve (it would tend to travel further making social distancing less effective). Yes they are very good protection for the user, but they are the worst option if the wearer is infected. The point of mask wearing is not only self protection. I think it is very anti-social pandemic etiquette to wear masks with valves.

You CAN cover the valves with tape. It will look goofy but that solves the above problem.

Also of course N95 masks without valves if you can actually find them and trust the quality. 

-- KN94 / KN95

If a well made product it won't be at the standard of N95 but still somewhat better than a basic surgical mask or basic cloth mask. It is hard to know if it is a good quality one though. 

Alternative to N95

Double mask. 

Surgical mask on first. Cloth mask on second.

I realize that some people are going to prioritize their own self protection. It's understandable. Nobody thinks they're infected if they don't have symptoms. But frankly if I go into a crowded indoor environment and see people with masks with valves, I will feel angry at the wearers just as if they were mask less, and in a way its arguably even worse because of the valve accelerating factor and that they'll be allowed in and not confronted.

Edited by Jingthing