Thailand reports new daily record of 9,276 COVID-19 cases, 72 more deaths

webfact

6 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

UK will soon be number 1 for new infections. Here two wks finished well......not a chance.

But, but, but I am sure Anutin will declare this will all be over with and under control soon, please don't rain on my parade of happiness the good PM has given me since he took power.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Lockdowns, or a semi lockdown is in the works starting in the AM, can you please give us a statistical breakdown of how many may flee the areas and head to the hills and whether or not the percentage of beds in use will decline, waiting with baited breath for your response......

Are even lockier lockdowns staring in the am? I guess that would fit with the gov's habit of one-day-in-advance notice. Huzzah.

Lockdown or no lockdown, Cipher's unfortunate statistical prediction is 99.99999967% certainty that it'll get worse before it gets better. On all fronts.

The case counts are a red herring. They have been undercounted for weeks now, and every additional day compounds that error. There's almost no point in focusing on them at this point. Because of lack of testing and the fact that the disease has a base case of asymptomatic, actual cases are probably several times higher than stated (which is both a positive and a negative).

Unless they really put boots to a55es on a serious lockdown (which I am not sure they can afford to do, politically or economically), I expect this limbo to drag on until an earnest vaccine rollout occurs in hopefully Q4. Outside of the minor chance that whatever happened in India that resulted in the sudden sharp decrease in cases there happens here (herd immunity? No idea). I hope it does, but sorta doubt it will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Twelve tourists now stuck in “alternative local quarantine” (ALQ) in Phuket after one person who arrived on the same flight to the island tested positive for COVID-19 have asked to fly home

https://www.thephuketnews.com/sandbox-tourists-stuck-in-quarantine-ask-to-go-home-80618.php

Holiday in Phuket without quarantine is just another broken promise.They can go after they finish their quarantine.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

4 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

The case counts are a red herring. They have been undercounted for weeks now, and every additional day compounds that error. There's almost no point in focusing on them at this point. Because of lack of testing and the fact that the disease has a base case of asymptomatic, actual cases are probably several times higher than stated (which is both a positive and a negative).

I think every one agrees that more testing is needed for accuracy in the case counts. 

However in the lack of more testing - should one simply turn a blind eye to the new case counts, even if the case counts are not as accurate as we think is needed ?  

I definitely think the case counts is NOT a red herring (despite more tests being needed). 

The case counts just are far from being as good as they ideally should be - and not being as good as they should be means decisions (by those 'running the country')  that maybe should have been made some time back (if more testing had been done), will only be made later than what may happen (later because they had less than adequate information).   

But with no case counts, I bet no action would be taken even now - and we would be even worse off than we are now (and yes I think it possible to be worse off).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You didn't mention the huge Chilean epidemiological study but since I know how eager you are to engage with the facts, I'm sharing it with you:

Sinovac’s Vaccine Found Inferior to Pfizer Shot in Chile Study

China’s CoronaVac was 66% effective in preventing Covid among fully vaccinated adults, compared with 93% or the jab made by Pfizer and its partner BioNTech SE.

The research shows both shots protect against severe disease. Sinovac’s inactivated inoculation, given to more than 10 million Chileans, was slightly less effective in preventing hospitalization and deaths than Pfizer’s messenger RNA vaccine, which was administered to fewer than half a million people, according to the  study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-08/china-made-vaccine-found-inferior-to-pfizer-shot-in-chile-study

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/one-jab-of-astrazeneca-pfizer-barely-inhibits-delta-variant-20210709-p58885.html

We'll see soon if this true or not with the Phuket Sandbox, where a single AZ jab is enough to enter from within Thailand... 

1 minute ago, gearbox said:

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/one-jab-of-astrazeneca-pfizer-barely-inhibits-delta-variant-20210709-p58885.html

We'll see soon if this true or not with the Phuket Sandbox, where a single AZ jab is enough to enter from within Thailand... 

Keep in mind that according to the Thai Authorities fully 70% of the residents of Phuket have been fully vaccinated either with Coronavac or the AZ vaccine. I would be interest to find out what the mortality currently are in Phuket.

12 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

Are even lockier lockdowns staring in the am? I guess that would fit with the gov's habit of one-day-in-advance notice. Huzzah.

Lockdown or no lockdown, Cipher's unfortunate statistical prediction is 99.99999967% certainty that it'll get worse before it gets better. On all fronts.

Unless they really put boots to a55es on a serious lockdown (which I am not sure they can afford to do, politically or economically), I expect this limbo to drag on until an earnest vaccine rollout occurs in hopefully Q4. Outside of the minor chance that whatever happened in India that resulted in the sudden sharp decrease in cases there happens here (herd immunity? No idea). I hope it does, but sorta doubt it will.

Hey, THATS what I posted yesterday. Has the world stopped revolving? How come we are in agreement? 5555

except I added the bit about it being foreign donations of vaccine that might get the earnest vaccine roll out occurring.

Just now, placeholder said:

Keep in mind that according to the Thai Authorities fully 70% of the residents of Phuket have been fully vaccinated either with Coronavac or the AZ vaccine. I would be interest to find out what the mortality currently are in Phuket.

You can obtain Phuket daily information here: https://www.facebook.com/83ssj/?__tn__=-UC*F

เงินเดือน 3 เดือนของประยุทธ์เรียกชีวิตคนตายเพราะติดและไม่ได้ฉีดวัคซีนกลับมาได้ไหม? ช่วยคนตกงาน คนฆ่าตัวตายเพราะหนึ้ได้ไหม? หยุดยั้งการบริหารด้อยประสิทธิภาพได้ไหม? #ป #ประยุทธ์ #ล็อกดาวน์ #ล็อกดาวน์กรุงเทพ #โควิด19วันนี้ #โควิดวันนี้ #วัคซีนโควิด

Google translate:

Can Prayut's three-month salary reclaim the lives of people who died because of infection and not vaccination? Can you help unemployed people who kill themselves because of me? Can you stop the inefficient management? #P #Prayut #Lockdown #Lockdown Bangkok #covid19 today #covid today #covid vaccine

https://twitter.com/PravitR/status/1413376740689281030

Edited by anchadian

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Not "fully" vaccinated. The 70%+ figure for Phuket was 1 shot, last time I saw province specific data. The 2 shot figure was something under 60%.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not "fully" vaccinated. The 70%+ figure for Phuket was 1 shot, last time I saw province specific data. The 2 shot figure was something under 60%.

Okay. I was pretty sure I saw 70% fully vaccinated a few days ago and was surprised by that. I did try and search that number but all google wants to show me is info about tourists and the sandbox.

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Current vaccination numbers for Phuket are in the link in the posts just above. 85% one jab, 67% two jabs

Edited by Rhacsyn
Remove text
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I think every one agrees that more testing is needed for accuracy in the case counts. 

However in the lack of more testing - should one simply turn a blind eye to the new case counts, even if the case counts are not as accurate as we think is needed ?  

I definitely think the case counts is NOT a red herring (despite more tests being needed). 

The case counts just are far from being as good as they ideally should be - and not being as good as they should be means decisions (by those 'running the country')  that maybe should have been made some time back (if more testing had been done), will only be made later than what may happen (later because they had less than adequate information).   

But with no case counts, I bet no action would be taken even now - and we would be even worse off than we are now (and yes I think it possible to be worse off).

I expect there is a range of views on the worth of some of the data such as case counts.

fwiw, my own view is that the data is of little use in terms of indicating absolute numbers of cases, but if there are some constants in the flaws, then some trends can be identified.

Perhaps of less use on a countrywide basis, but provincially it can perhaps be of use.

but clearly the accuracy of the numbers, or lack thereof, makes the overall picture more and more opaque.

Just now, placeholder said:

Okay. I was pretty sure I saw 70% fully vaccinated a few days ago and was surprised by that. I did try and search that number but all google wants to show me is info about tourists and the sandbox.

The locals may be reporting different numbers from the official ones posted by the MoPH, and the last version of those I've seen by province was July 3. I doubt the percentages have changed much in the past few days.

2060032816_2021-07-04VaccinationsbyProvinceinEN.jpg.ded7c565b36038b9044bb1a6ba1434dc.jpg

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I don't see any information about mortality there. But I read Thai not so well and the color scheme of the graphics doesn't help.

From that site:

Situation of COVID-19 infection in Phuket Province  on July 8, 2021

???? New cases from Phuket = 7
✈️???? New cases from foreign countries = 0
???? New cases from Phuket Sandbox = 0
???? Patients who have recovered and returned home = 714
???? Patients still hospitalized = 54
???? The total number of infected people sent for treatment in other provinces = 2
???? Cumulative confirmed cases = 766
???? Accumulated infected people from other provinces = 6
???? The number of infected people received from abroad = 3
???? New infected deaths today = 0
???? Accumulated deaths = 7 cases
????Information of infected people between April 3 - July 8, 2021.
????Source of information: Phuket Provincial Public Health Office.

phuket-stats-002-768.jpg

1 minute ago, oldcpu said:

From that site:

Situation of COVID-19 infection in Phuket Province  on July 8, 2021

???? New cases from Phuket = 7
✈️???? New cases from foreign countries = 0
???? New cases from Phuket Sandbox = 0
???? Patients who have recovered and returned home = 714
???? Patients still hospitalized = 54
???? The total number of infected people sent for treatment in other provinces = 2
???? Cumulative confirmed cases = 766
???? Accumulated infected people from other provinces = 6
???? The number of infected people received from abroad = 3
???? New infected deaths today = 0
???? Accumulated deaths = 7 cases
????Information of infected people between April 3 - July 8, 2021.
????Source of information: Phuket Provincial Public Health Office.

phuket-stats-002-768.jpg

Well, those numbers seem pretty impressive. I don't care much about number of infections, but mortality figures are a lot harder to fudge. So it could be that vaccinations with Coronavac do provide a significant degree of protection. I do recognize that some of the vaccinations were done with AZ, but since the program started in April, I'm guessing that those who are vaccinated mostly got the Sinovac.

Can anyone confirm that this is a true statement:

Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha Monthly salary of 75,590 baht 50,000 baht/month, totaling 125,590 baht

*Source is a local media outlet.

This means I make more than the Prime Minister of country with a population of over 60,000,000??

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Was this camp in the news last week........workers being ferried about between BKK and there?

Yes, a  construction camp in Si Racha was closed towards end of June

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/06/28/chonburi-governor-orders-the-complete-closure-of-another-construction-camp-this-one-i

The Chonburi Governor, Phakkhrathon Thianchai, ordered the temporary closure of a construction workers camp which takes effect today July 9th, 2021, to control the spread of Covid-19.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/09/chonburi-governor-orders-temporary-closure-of-a-construction-worker-camp-in-si-racha/

Edited by anchadian
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The locals may be reporting different numbers from the official ones posted by the MoPH, and the last version of those I've seen by province was July 3. I doubt the percentages have changed much in the past few days.

Interesting table. 

Possibly a mute point, but given the massive exodus from Phuket in June-2020 (I read estimates that about 15% of the population left last year as soon as the April/May-2020 lockdown was lifted), I doubt 547,584 is Phuket's population. 

I don't think anyone knows Phuket's population at present but the figure being used of 466,587 in the official police web site may be more accurate than the 547,584 figure.  

Of course, whichever population figure one uses, will greatly affect the % vaccinated calculations.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 2