Foreigner flummoxed by Thai driving standards - puts clip online

webfact

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

For over 20 years on the streets of Thailand, I would estimate that I have saved around 500 lives through my defensive driving style. Never trust a green traffic light, no frantic maneuvers if someone is approaching on the wrong side of the lane, do not think that the indicator here shows the actual direction of travel, at night scan regulary the street with a short high beam for vehicles without lighting, be particularly careful with all U-turns, always expect the Thais to turn into a main road without looking. Thailand is still the number 2 in traffic deaths worldwide. I wish everyone an accident-free journey

Somebody give this man a medal for not killing 500 people. Absolute legend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

He was referring to a pick-up that had gone past the zebra crossing front line as bikes are sometimes allowed to do.

THIS is the most annoying thing.

You drive a couple of kms between lights trying to pass some idiot driving slowly on a motocy that is hogging the lane, when the adjacent inside lane is empty but he won't move over, only to pass him, get to the lights and then the same idiot pulls in front of you and you start all over again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Its not as if Thais are  bad drivers, it just that its taking them  several generations to  convert from  riding on a buffalo to  riding a motor cycle or driving a vehicle.

Same as the Saudis, they couldn't drive a Chevrolet Impala on asphalt for sh!t, but get it offroad in the desert and it's like they were riding a camel.

Yes, many Thais, especially out here in the provinces far away from Bangkok, drive their cars like they are driving a motorbike. They don't drive in the "correct" lane, don't use their turn signals, and sometimes drive the opposite way on a road to reach a nearby U-turn.

Just drive alertly and defensively and don't expect everyone to obey what you think are the rules of the road. 

Advice from a fellow-US expat, but one who's lived in Thailand for over twenty years.

Edited by billsmart

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

You'd cause too many accidents there if you drive like you have adapted to here.

Exactly, I would most certainly be a danger to others. But .... in the USA I can carry a gun.

Edited by thaitom
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

For over 20 years on the streets of Thailand, I would estimate that I have saved around 500 lives through my defensive driving style. Never trust a green traffic light, no frantic maneuvers if someone is approaching on the wrong side of the lane, do not think that the indicator here shows the actual direction of travel, at night scan regulary the street with a short high beam for vehicles without lighting, be particularly careful with all U-turns, always expect the Thais to turn into a main road without looking. Thailand is still the number 2 in traffic deaths worldwide. I wish everyone an accident-free journey

Wow!, that means I must have saved over 1000 lives, do I get a badge or something?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, billsmart said:

Yes, many Thais, especially out here in the provinces far away from Bangkok, drive their cars like they are driving a motorbike. They don't drive in the "correct" lane, don't use their turn signals, and sometimes drive the opposite way on a road to reach a nearby U-turn.

Just drive alertly and defensively and don't expect everyone to obey what you think are the rules of the road. 

Advice from a fellow-US expat, but one who's lived in Thailand for over twenty years.

Obviously you don't spend much time in Bangkok then, because I see that sort of behavior every day!

4 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Nobody cares what you have to say. Yeah he's American, again nobody wants to hear your comments.

The same could be said about your miopic post.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

I can tell that from what i have been and seen in other countries around the world, Thai drivers are not the worst, infect, i find driving on Thai roads fairly safe most of the time with no hassle or road rage display like you see in other countries...

Yep go and drive in London for an hour

I have learned to be very patient here. The driving used to really <deleted> me off. 

There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government, and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter.

And the police will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends the trillions of baht on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the franchise.

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out for the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law.

When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, of semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do.

I see people driving here, with their families in the car, and doing things, and taking the kinds of risks no rational or sane person with common sense would do. What for? To gain one minute? Why take those risks? What is the logic? Often, when I am cruising along at 100kph, someone cuts right in front of me. Or someone comes out from the side road, right in front of me. I have to slam on my brakes, or change lanes to avoid him. I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me. So, if he had waited two seconds, he would have had completely safe passage onto the highway. What gives? Where is the intelligence, caution, and prudence? Where is the common sense? What about just the survival instinct?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Same as the Saudis, they couldn't drive a Chevrolet Impala on asphalt for sh!t, but get it offroad in the desert and it's like they were riding a camel.

I seem to remember a girl from Saudi she rode like a camel and always had  the hump.

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

I have learned to be very patient here. The driving used to really <deleted> me off. 

There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government, and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter.

And the police will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends the trillions of baht on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the franchise.

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out for the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law.

When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, of semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do.

I see people driving here, with their families in the car, and doing things, and taking the kinds of risks no rational or sane person with common sense would do. What for? To gain one minute? Why take those risks? What is the logic? Often, when I am cruising along at 100kph, someone cuts right in front of me. Or someone comes out from the side road, right in front of me. I have to slam on my brakes, or change lanes to avoid him. I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me. So, if he had waited two seconds, he would have had completely safe passage onto the highway. What gives? Where is the intelligence, caution, and prudence? Where is the common sense? What about just the survival instinct?

spidermike007, i agree i am more tolerant here than i was in the Uk, here i just say carry one idiot.

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I can fit 4 on my motorbike and a couple bags.

My wifes daughter 28 is a model Thai driver, never looks left or right, lane changes for a pastime, and when at traffic lights never looks at the colour of the lights, when the traffic stops from the other direction its hammer to the floor the fact her 4 year old is stood in the passenger footwell and the dog is unleashed  in the pick up back barking and snarling at anything that gets close, and after 2 years of unlicensed driving she still cant get out of right foot for gas and left foot for brake, i give up and really dont care. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, rickudon said:

I was told driving in Thailand would frighten you, but i just found you need to drive slower and be more vigilant, never frightened. But then i used to drive in Libya ........

China there is No going with the flow, nothing! lived there 6 years, i refused to even drive an electric bike, scared enough just walking on the sidewalk. I would see someone coming towards me and i would stretch out my arms just so they would see me and hopefully drive around, that was just on the sidewalk !

Edited by thaitom
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Thailand is still the number 2 in traffic deaths worldwide. 

Only cuz if an accident victim arrives at hospital alive and dies there they aren't included in highway death statistics. So there's a good chance Thailand is number 1.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Only cuz if an accident victim arrives at hospital alive and dies there they aren't included in highway death statistics. So there's a good chance Thailand is number 1.

In China, they double run over you to make sure your dead if they accidentally hit you. They have an incentive for citizens to kill other persons rather than gravely injure them (and become financially liable for their ongoing care):  Google it ! it is real .  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I am doubting that... maybe her brother.

Jacko45k, come to think of it you may be right.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I am doubting that... maybe her brother.

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Nobody cares what you have to say. Yeah he's American, again nobody wants to hear your comments.

Absolutely right well said.   It's safe to assume, though, that the American has never, ever, broken a traffic law, anywhere, for him to be so 'kin righteously calling out another driver over a minor transgression.  Was he riding a bike or a high horse?